Boot CD Management

Glenn9999

I'm looking into getting some boot CDs together for my needs so I could get away from having a working floppy drive around. While I have the boot disks in floppy form and I can get that process done, I'm wondering if there are any big concerns that I would need to address in making the move? Like is there anything that I would need to do that involves introducing new files for every once in a while (like flashing a BIOS)? Or does most of that get done without booting off a disk now?

As well, what is the best way to store the images (CD, but maybe floppy as well, depending on what is needed) so they can be restored into bootable disks? Or will ISO tend to take care of that?

Any other big concerns I would need to address?

I'd make a second step, skip CD and go to USB booting. Then 1step back if you want and boot from floppy images.

Check this tool and its ability to boot from IMA/IMG files listed in the file Menu.lst. I think you can skip all the "installing XP" part so you can use an old USB drive (in your case, even 256Meg will do).

PCs boot from USB since 2004, you might stilll need other tools for earlier machines.

I'd make a second step, skip CD and go to USB booting.

I noticed that you could do that in the reading I did right after I made this post, and found the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. But I was thinking CD, because I reasonably know how to archive those (create the ISOs, store them until needed). How would you archive USB so the boot image & capability would be there?

And on another topic, I notice a lot of topics regarding "installing from USB", but I'm wondering how easy it would be to get a live system on USB, like for virus scanning purposes?

And on another thought, how would you create boot images, for DOS, but for XP as well (possibly)?

Evidently I'm not knowing the proper terms to search for on this one...

Evidently I'm not knowing the proper terms to search for on this one...

The "term" you need is "grub4dos", but you don't even need searching for it, start reading:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showforum=66

Then, we will talk about the other things:

how easy it would be to get a live system on USB, like for virus scanning purposes?

And on another thought, how would you create boot images, for DOS, but for XP as well (possibly)?

jaclaz