Tetravex for Windows, where?

pointertovoid

Hello everybody!

Having recently tried the version 9.10 of Ubuntu, I stumbled on a tiny game (an intellectual one this time, sorry guys...) called Tetravex. I like it but won't change my OS (W2k) just for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetravex

I couldn't find a Windows version to download, only a Tetravex II which seems to be an automatic solver (exactly what I don't need) and Palm versions. And some very affordable shareware as well, this would be an option.

I'm not willing to go into compilations and porting.

So: where can I find one? Thanks!

The Tetravex version you're looking for on Windows was part of the Microsoft Best of Windows Entertainment pack back for Win95 (the actual original version was released for Win 3.1 in 1991, I believe...), and I've never seen it released otherwise. The open-source version is basically the same game, but it's not the Microsoft version and I do not believe that version was ever ported to Windows (although I believe the Microsoft version was available on the GameBoy for a short while, although I'd have to Google it to refresh my memory). You could try getting the open-source Linux version running under cygwin, as I've heard that works, but unless you can find someone selling the Best of Windows Entertainment disks from 1995, you're out of luck for a native Windows version.

• 3 months later...

I've written a version for Windows in C# that is available on my own website. It is still under development, since there are additional features that I need to add such as recording the top scores for all levels, but it seems to work fine. I could put the source out there, but I'm afraid I'd like to clean it up some first. So right now there's only an executable (QuadraVex.exe). The problem with executables is that you can't trust them, so I realize you're taking a risk by running an unverified executable. But the link is currently http://home1.gte.net/res0uhdx/QuadraVex.exe . Once I put the source out there, people will be able to recompile with the free C# or their own Visual Studio .NET and not worry about running an unknown foreign executable. Contact me if you have any questions.

It looks like my link has been abbreviated! Probably for the best. Contact me (I assume your reply will be routed to my email?) and I'll send you the link.

Edited by Tripredacus
fixed url

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...