Having issues setting up ATI/AMD SB600 RAID

Nezumi

I have an eSATA RAID I backed some stuff up onto before having to do a total format to kill a particularly pernicious virus... but since the format, I unsurprisingly can't access it due to lack of RAID controller drivers.

I first tried a manual Slipstream, but this continually failed -- no matter what I tried, the eSATA RAID wouldn't show up during set-up, and wouldn't show up once Windows was installed, either.

So I grabbed this... and I'm having the exact same problem. I've tried various methods and attempts, but nothing. I need to find a way to get this driver working properly so I can get at my files on there. Anyone have any advice or guides or magical gnomes of driver installation?

Methods used thus far:

1) Simply importing the driver with nLite, and setting it as textmode. Result: Nothing. It's as if I hadn't tried.

2) Importing Fernando's modified Driver with nLite. Result: Again, nothing.

3) Importing Fernando's modified Driver, and on top of that, creating an OEM driver directory and copying his driver to it, altering Winnt.sif to point to it. Result: Still nothing.

Edited by Nezumi

Nezumi, your RAID is really and eSATA, external - with SB600? Are you using the RAID controller in the SB600? Have you enabled the RAID in the BIOS? Does Windows Setup see any HDDs? We need to see more information. Where are you getting your drivers - please provide link? Also, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Nezumi, your RAID is really and eSATA, external - with SB600?

Yes, it is. It's a preconfigured 4TB RAID in an eSATA/USB external enclosure... although only about 2TB of it is actually usable as storage in the RAID mode I'm using.

Are you using the RAID controller in the SB600?

Well, I'm trying to, but I'm not getting any sort of RAID controller driver installed... which I assume is why my computer is not recognizing it as existent.

Have you enabled the RAID in the BIOS?

Haven't checked. I should probably make sure of that, as well. I think it should be... but, yeah. Really should make sure of that.

Does Windows Setup see any HDDs?

It sees my non-RAID SATA drives, and my standard IDE, just not my RAID.

Where are you getting your drivers - please provide link?

I got the vanilla ones from.. http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=download...mp;prod_no=1332

And the modified ones from a topic on this board, available at http://www.msfn.org/board/setup-cant-load-...ml&hl=SB600

Also, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Thanks for the advice... as for my Last Session... According to the Modified timestamps, that should be the most recent.

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by Nezumi

Nezumi, quick reply before I look at your links/attachments. Please remove the Last Session_U.ini quickly. It contains private information including your key and please attach the Last Session.ini. Thanks, John.

Nezumi, sounds like you are using a RAID controller in the external box. If so, you need the drivers for it not the SB600. You do need drivers for it for your other drives. Are you sure you can install an OS and boot from your external RAID controller? Please post a link to the controller and we'll see if there are text mode drivers available for it. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Assuming that you can boot from the external RAID, you should install the text mode driver for it only and not the SB600. Install only normal drivers for the SB600.

Edited by johnhc

Nezumi, quick reply before I look at your links/attachments. Please remove the Last Session_U.ini quickly. It contains private information including your key and please attach the Last Session.ini. Thanks, John.

Sorry for the error. I removed it as quickly as I was able. As for the controller in the external box... let me try getting the drivers up for that, then. Apparently, they didn't install when I downloaded and installed the software for it. Going to try them from the CD.

And, honestly... I didn't really need to install to it or boot from it. I just needed to actually access it, and I couldn't find a way to install the RAID controller driver. in question except from a fresh Windows install. If I don't actually need to do that, then I should be fine without using nLite. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Finally figured out my problem. I'm using the MSI K9A2 Platinum, which has both the SB600 controller... and a Promise T3 controller for the ESATA. I was mistaking it for the K9A2 Platinum v2, which is identical... except that it lacks the Promise controller. I was trying to set up the Slipstreamed disc with drivers for the wrong controller. With this knowledge, I can not only get access, but set up a slipstreamed disc that can read that drive, so that if I ever do need to install XP to that drive, I can. And... given that I'm planning to update to Windows 7 shortly, I may well need to, depending on just how well XP Mode actually works.

Edited by Nezumi