Netbook Install Questions

buggie

I am trying to create a nice, lightweight installation for a netbook (Acer Aspire A150), but there's a few things I am unable to figure out myself.

1. Under Hardware Support there is an option for "CPU Intel," it sounds quite essential though the computer runs without it; I don't install any drivers for the processor either. Would it be smart to keep this in the installation, or is it unlikely that XP SP3 even has drivers compatible with the Atom?

2. Upon installation I manually install some core drivers such as for audio, video, and networking. Afterwards I still have a few things without drivers and am unable to identify them beyond being part of an Intel chipset. These include: 6x Base System Device, 2x PCI Device, and 1x Unknown Device (possibly for the card readers, but I don't use them). The only thing I can think of that could be helpful would be to stop removing Drivers > Multifunctional and Hardware Support > PCMCIA.

3. The machine (with it's current install) seems to have issues with flash, especially streaming video. It's very choppy and slow to respond. In addition, I occasionally get some lag on the desktop and in explorer despite nothing happening. Could this be related to #2? Do note that all video drivers are installed and working properly.

4. Not completely related, but do I need to keep Network > Vector Graphics Rendering (VML) in order to view .svgs such as those found on Wikipedia? Or is such functionality dependent on the browser and not the OS?

5. Equally unrelated, Services > Shell Services states that removing themes speeds up explorer. Is this referring to the actual removal of shell services, or just the disabling of themes? I'd like to have the option of themes available, but not at the expense of performance no matter how insignificant.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by buggie

buggie, you have some really tough questions here. I cannot venture a guess on most. I suspect you do not need drivers for your ATOM, so removing the Intel stuff should make no difference. For the missing drivers, I can only suggest you put Drivers > Multifunctional and Hardware Support > PCMCIA back in and see if some or all go away. I am mainly posting to say: Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.