Help installing XP MCE on Laptop with RAID

shadesters

Ok I know this has been said a thousand times over, but I have been reading things and burning discs all day to get this to work, so please read on, I am in dire need of help!

My brother has a Toshiba Qosmio G25-AV13. It has XP Media Center 2005, but he lost the recovery disc (go figure)

I have Media Center Edition 2005 for my desktop, so I copied the contents of the CD's using nLite, and made a new DVD using nLite with built in RAID drivers. That got the HDD to be visible to XP setup. So I started installation, with a full format (only 1 HDD is being seen by windows setup, should be 2x60GB but I only see 1 60GB there) but when computer reboots the first time around, it starts the installation all over again! It wont pick up the HDD after reboot, so it brings me to a screen where it says "Press any key to boot from CD"

I read in other forums that some people say not to hit any keys at this point, but this does nothing for me, it just stays there. And yes, I have changed boot options around, even trying to boot from harddrive manually, but it wont load the windows setup at all. So I'm stuck in this loop.

On the toshiba website people said i have to install the intel matrix storage thing, and I did for this laptop (ICH6-M). That didnt work either. In the BIOS I set both drives to JBOD (there is only 1RAID, 2RAID or JBOD so I am trying to bypass the RAID all together, but it's not making a difference, I guess because it's still hooked up via S-ATA??)

So what am I to do!? Am I missing something? Do I need more things other than the Intel Matrix Storage file and the RAID drivers embedded on an install disc? I have been fiddling with this thing for almost 3 days now, and all I can get it to do is install the windows folder, then on re-boot it starts the process all over again. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Make sure when you integrate the driver with nLite you use text mode (not pnp) option

BTW do you have a link to your driver?

I have a Qosmio G35 and I have a personal DriverPacks MassStorage with the Toshiba Raid driver for my model (you use DPs_BASE to integrate it not nLite) if both laptops use the same driver I can upload it for you

Edit: just checked support and they both use same driver, here is my MODDED MassStorage DriverPack for you

Deleted...

You copy the contents of both MCE CDs to a folder

Use DPs_BASE to integrate the driverpack (you extract the tool and put the *.7z in the DriverPacks folder) making sure you check the DriverPack MassStorage and the "text mode" options (use all the defaults for the rest of the options)

dpmasstore.th.png

Then after you are done use nLite to make it bootable and you should be OK

Edited by ricktendo64

@ shadesters:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

My brother has a Toshiba Qosmio G25-AV13. It has XP Media Center 2005, but he lost the recovery disc (go figure)

I have Media Center Edition 2005 for my desktop, so I copied the contents of the CD's using nLite, and made a new DVD using nLite with built in RAID drivers.

Which RAID driver did you integrate, where did you get it and what makes you sure, that it was the correct one?

By the way: Toshiba is offering >this< special RAID driver for their Qosmio G notebook series.

I read in other forums that some people say not to hit any keys at this point, but this does nothing for me, it just stays there. And yes, I have changed boot options around, even trying to boot from harddrive manually, but it wont load the windows setup at all. So I'm stuck in this loop.
Maybe the hdd has not been set as bootable device. Enter the BIOS and look for the bootable devices.
On the toshiba website people said i have to install the intel matrix storage thing, and I did for this laptop (ICH6-M). That didnt work either.
I don't think, that there is any notebook with an Intel ICH6M Southbridge, which will support RAID. Furthermore none of the actual Intel Matrix Storage Manager RAID drivers can be used with an ICH6M Southbridge. For further details you may look into the start post of >this< thread.
In the BIOS I set both drives to JBOD (there is only 1RAID, 2RAID or JBOD so I am trying to bypass the RAID all together, but it's not making a difference,
All 3 options will enable the RAID features with the consequence, that you need the appropriate RAID driver. Look into the manual, what 1RAID and 2RAID mean. If you really have 2 SATA hdd's with the same size, you should create an array (RAID0 for performance or RAID1 for redundancy).
So what am I to do!? Am I missing something? Do I need more things other than the Intel Matrix Storage file and the RAID drivers embedded on an install disc? I have been fiddling with this thing for almost 3 days now, and all I can get it to do is install the windows folder, then on re-boot it starts the process all over again.
This is what I suggest:

1. Create a new MCE CD with integrated Toshiba RAID textmode driver (as linked above).

2. Choose the appropriate RAID option (depending on your option performamce or security) within the BIOS.

3. Create a RAID0 or RAID1 array, if you want.

4. Enter the BIOS and set the RAID as second bootable device (the first one should be the CD/DVD-ROM).

4. Boot off the freshly created MCE CD.

@ ricktendo64:

Thanks for your assistance by offering your special DriverPack.

Nevertheless I do not really understand, why shadesters should use the DriverPacks method and integrate a whole MassStorage DriverPack. He just wants to get MCE installed onto 1 single specified notebook.

Edited by Fernando 1

@ ricktendo64:

Thanks for your assistance by offering your special DriverPack.

Nevertheless I do not really understand, why shadesters should use the DriverPacks method and integrate a whole MassStorage DriverPack.

UMM gee I dunno...because its the best solution, easy and it works!

This is what I use for my laptop

BTW shadesters to make sure your HDD is configured correctly just use the default bios setting, raid should be set correctly by default

Edited by ricktendo64

shadesters, so that we have more information, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

I do not really understand, why shadesters should use the DriverPacks method and integrate a whole MassStorage DriverPack.
..because its the best solution, easy and it works!
1. This is not the DriverPacks, but the nLite Forum.

2. Creating an nLited CD with integrated textmode driver is very easy and safe too (if you have the suitale RAID/AHCI driver).

3. Why should someone with just a single notebook integrate 150 different textmode drivers?

Also, I will change both HDDs from JBOD to RAID-0 so that data is split between them. I got the RAID drivers from the toshiba website, the latest, most up to date (there were a few of them, some years apart, would it make a difference if I tried an older one?)

and on the toshiba forums, people had this same problem and said that the intel matrix storage thing would fix it, so I looked up the intel storage matrix drivers on the intel website and it listed the ICH's that each used. I googled the G25 laptop and in the specs it says it uses the ICH6-M, so I dont know why the specs would say that if it doesnt use that....

so i downloaded one of the zip archives of the intel matrix storage driver and added it to the ISO using nLite. There were a bunch of options of drivers to choose from in the list, and I chose the one saying ICH6-M (mobile/laptop) or something like that. Maybe I should just select them all? Or try using a mass pack like the one above? I don't care what I need to do, as long as I can get the setup process to see the hard drives and continue installation in GUI mode!

Also, a quick question. I downloaded the Intel RAID drivers, maybe I should download the nForce ones? It has nVidia graphics, but I have no clue on how to tell what chipset it is, Intel or nVidia. Maybe that would make a difference?

I will try all suggestions in a few hours and report back. Thanks all.

shadesters, I went to the Toshiba driver DL site and found these for the Qosmio G25-AV513. Is your AV13 a finger check - found none for AV13. You should DL and use these. Whether you have video driver or not is not going to effect how you install goes. Fernando 1 is the driver expert here and will add further, I am sure. Enjoy, John.

I got the RAID drivers from the toshiba website, the latest, most up to date (there were a few of them, some years apart, would it make a difference if I tried an older one?)
The most important thing is not the age of a driver, but the OEM and INF files entries. The specific HardwareID's of the RAID Controller has to be within the TXTSETUP.OEM file, otherwise Windows Setup will not recognize the RAID.
on the toshiba forums, people had this same problem and said that the intel matrix storage thing would fix it, so I looked up the intel storage matrix drivers on the intel website and it listed the ICH's that each used. I googled the G25 laptop and in the specs it says it uses the ICH6-M, so I dont know why the specs would say that if it doesnt use that....

so i downloaded one of the zip archives of the intel matrix storage driver and added it to the ISO using nLite. There were a bunch of options of drivers to choose from in the list, and I chose the one saying ICH6-M (mobile/laptop) or something like that. Maybe I should just select them all?

You can select them all (if you are unsure), but the only Controller you will need is named "Intel® ICH6M SATA RAID Controller".

I really doubt, that the advice you got from Toshiba Forum was correct.

Reasons:

1. Why should Toshiba offer special Toshiba RAID drivers named KR10N for your notebook, if these notebooks have built-in just normal Intel RAID Controllers?

2. As far as I know Intel has never built an ICH6M Southbridge, whis is supporting RAID.

Where did you get the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver and which is the version? Are you sure, that Intel ICH6M SATA RAID Controllers are supported by the driver you got?

@ johnhc:

The Toshiba driver I have linked within my first post of this thread contains the same HardwareID's as yours, but is newer.

1. Why should Toshiba offer special Toshiba RAID drivers named KR10N for your notebook, if these notebooks have built-in just normal Intel RAID Controllers?

2. As far as I know Intel has never built an ICH6M Southbridge, whis is supporting RAID.

That's a good question, let's investigate:

Toshiba txtsetup.oem

[HardwareIds.scsi.K_RAIDXPM]

id="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&SUBSYS_0F101179", "KR10N"

id="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&SUBSYS_0F101179", "KR10N"

Intel txtsetup.oem

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH7M]

id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106","iaStor"

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH6R]

id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104","iaStor"

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH6R]

id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106","iaStor"

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH6M]

id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106","iaStor"

There is a AHCI PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106, contrary there is no RAID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0104.

Toshiba uses a the hardware at RAID mode.

This hardware usage maybe with or without Intel support.

Compare the ICH6R example too:

there is "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104" and "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106".

The Intel driver works, if you set a BIOS mode relating to PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106.

Intel iastor.sys may work at this controller too, but this is not supported by Intel.

A adjusted iastor.inf maybe nice for testing. But be aware, this is experimental:

there is data loss possible if driver is changed from KR10N.sys to iastor.sys

Seems to be a bad idea at second glance.

@shadesters

Try the Toshiba drivers first.

@ cdob:

Thanks for your interesting informations, which brought much light into the dark for me.

I didn't realize, that Toshiba's special RAID drivers are nothing else than "modded" Intel RAID drivers, but without any reference to Intel.

@ shadesters:

As cdob has mentioned, you probably will not succeed with the integration of any official Intel textmode driver, bcause none of them contain the needed HardwareID's for your Intel ICH6M Southbridge running in RAID Mode.

So probably just the old Toshiba drivers will work for you.

Nevertheless I have just customized the latest official 32bit Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers v8.9.0.1023 to make them usable for your Intel ICH6M RAID system.

Here is the download link:

32bit_Intel_ICH6_10_textmode_driver_v8.9.0.1023_mod_by_Fernando.rar

Please try that driver, which I have customized for being usable with all Intel ICH6-10 chipsets, and post, if you succeeded with it. If yes, I will present this "modded" driver within >this< guide.

Thanks!

Fernando

EDIT: Now the linked modified Intel textmode driver will (hopefully) support all "tricky" Toshiba Intel ICH6M and ICH7M RAID systems.

Edited by Fernando 1

Ok, I got the toshiba drivers from the top of the thread and this new ICH6 driver you posted, used nLite to add them, and it worked! Thank you so much! Windows is installing in GUI mode as we speak!
Congratulations to you and thanks for your quick feedback. :thumbup

The fact, that you succeeded at least with the Windows MCE installation onto Toshiba's "tricky" RAID system is a big success for you and for other owners of a Toshiba Qosmio G notebook series, who are going to install any Windows OS in the future.

As a consequence of your report I will put the freshly customized Intel textmode drivers into >this< guide.

Have fun!

Fernando