Help installing XP MCE on Laptop with RAID

shadesters

I got the toshiba drivers from the top of the thread and this new ICH6 driver you posted, used nLite to add them

Which driver did you include?

Did you include one driver?

Did you incldue two drivers?

Did you include both toshiba and the new ICH6 driver?

Which driver does windows use currently?

KR10N or iastor.sys?

@ cdob:

Thanks for your questions, which are very important for me too, because I would rather like to know, if the "modded" Intel driver works with his "tricky Toshiba RAID" system.

I didn't think about the possibility, that shadesters may have integrated both drivers into the same MCE CD.

Regards

Fernando

Hey guys... Fernando, I used both of the ones you posted... the special one for the qosmio G and your modded Intel Matrix storage drivers for ICH6M... I dont know if one or the other did the trick, so I included both just in case.... When it asked me to add drivers in nLite I just selected them all and integrated...

Here are my last session.ini

I didnt know how to add both sets of drivers in 1 nLite session lol:

Last_Session.ini

Last_Session__2009.11.23_18.54.34_.ini

But as you can see I just added all drivers in both sets, made an ISO, burned with Nero, and it worked!

I'm assuming its using the iastor.sys, that's what was displayed when it was formatting the HDD anyways...

Also, the other 60GB HDD was shown when i was formatting... currently both are set to JBOD, but windows only sees the 1 60GB HDD, so how do I make use of the second one? I'm new at the whole RAID/multiple HDD thing...

shadesters, thanks for the Last Session files.

I didnt know how to add both sets of drivers in 1 nLite session lol:
Don't know what you mean here, but you should not run nLite more than once against the same source - asking for trouble. As to using the other drive(s). After installation, right click My Computer and click on Manage. Then click on Disk Management. All your drives will be displayed here. You can then select the one(s) you did not install on and format, name, assign drive letters, etc. If you right click on a drive you will be presented with options. Enjoy, John.

@ shadesters:

Although you obviously succeeded with the MCE installation onto your RAID, you have done something wrong.

It was not a good idea to integrate both recommended textmode drivers into the same MCE CD, because both drivers have the same name und one of them have been overwritten during the integration procedure. Nevertheless it is possible, that just by chance the wrong driver has been overwritten by the correct one.

Fernando, I used both of the ones you posted... the special one for the qosmio G and your modded Intel Matrix storage drivers for ICH6M...
No, you obviously integrated the old Intel textmode drivers v7.8.0.1012, which were linked within my guide and which you got >here<, instead of the special Toshiba RAID drivers for the Qosmio G series.

Since the official Intel textmode drivers v7.8.0.1012 only support Intel® ICH6M SATA AHCI Controllers and no Intel® ICH6M SATA RAID Controllers, I am nearly sure, that my freshly modded v8.9.0.1023 drivers have done the trick.

I'm assuming its using the iastor.sys, that's what was displayed when it was formatting the HDD anyways...
It is the IASTOR.SYS, because both driver you have integrated are using the same driver named IASTOR.SYS.
Also, the other 60GB HDD was shown when i was formatting... currently both are set to JBOD, but windows only sees the 1 60GB HDD, so how do I make use of the second one?
At first step you should open the Device Manager, open the sections "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "SCSI and RAID Controllers". Then do a screenshot of it and post it here.

Then you should check within the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section for the driver version the "Intel® ICH6M SATA RAID Controller": Do a right click onto it > "Properties" > "Driver".

As a last step you should open the Disk Management and look for the listed drives and their drive letters. Do a screenshot too, if you can.

Edited by Fernando 1

I told you guys my way is much easier...just because it integrates other masssorage controllers and adds compatibility for a HUGE number of other drives does not mean its a bad thing

I actually have the same brand PC as the guy in question, so one would think I know WTF im talking about when it comes to this subject

Edited by ricktendo64

@ ricktendo64:

What is the intention of your message? Shadesters obviously didn't want to use the DriverPacks method, but succeeded nevertheless with the MCE installation.

Instead of criticizing him and us you should help him to solve his RAID problem, which has nothing to do with the drivers.

@Fernando

Sorry, I didnt realize you wanted me to use one driver or the other... I clicked on the link where you posted the special Qosmio drivers, I didnt know those were old

I am going to assume that your modded drivers did the trick, as the other drivers I got from the toshiba website did absolutely nothing... and you seem to know what you are doing

Since the installation went smoothly, I am not going to re-install or anything to see which drivers actually did the trick, but like I said, I am sure that it was the modded one

@ricktendo64

Thank you for the suggestion. I would have tried that method if I didn't get so many responses so quickly, but I wanted to be sure it worked, so I was looking for specific drivers, not just a huge pack that may or may not have the correct driver. I wasted too many DVD-Rs already on my own lol

heres a screenshot, I don't see "SCSI and RAID Controllers" anywhere... they are both in JBOD mode, maybe thats why? Or is it the yellow ? named Mass Storage Controller?

post-268213-1259166662_thumb.jpg

Here's a screenshot of Disk Management

post-268213-1259166948_thumb.jpg@

@ shadesters:

Thanks for your reply and the screenshots.

Unfortunately the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller" part and the missing "SCSI and RAID Controllers" part verify my apprehension, that you got the wrong textmode driver installed.

Windows installed the old official Intel textmode driver v7.8.1012, which will support Intel ICH6M SATA AHCI Controllers, but not your Intel ICH6M RAID Controller.

Although the RAID Controller has not been detected (that is the "Mass Storage Controller"), Setup identified somehow your SATA RAID Controllers as "Intel® 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller".

Now your Device Manager situation is absolutely wrong and will prevent, that you can use your system like it should.

Since you were writing, that you integrated just the older Toshiba driver and the actual Intel textmode driver v8.9.0.1023, which I had modified for you, I suspect, that you didn't use a clean (=untouched) source, when you created the MCE CD by using nLite.

What you may try now is the following:

1. Download this driverpack and unzip it.

2. Open the Device Manager, do a right click onto the listed "Mass Storage Controller", choose to install the driver and point to the IASTOR.INF file of the just downloaded driverpack.

4. If Windows should accept the driver (you have to force the driver installation, because it is not digitally signed by MS), you should uninstall the listed "Intel® 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller".

5. After having done that, you may reboot and pray.

If you should get a BSOD, you will have to restart the whole nLite and install procedure:

1. Copy the content of an absolutely untouched Original Windows MCE CD onto your hdd.

2. Run nLite, integrate the just downloaded and unzipped driver (and no other one!) and burn the ISO image.

3. Boot off the nLited MCE CD and install the OS.

Please post here the result of your doing and - if you succeed, add a new screenshot of your Device Manager.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hmmm

What do you mean my system won't run as it should? I do not understand what you mean by that, it seems to be working fine. I do not care about a RAID array, I just want the ability to use both drives for storage, and if I do like John says and just format it in the storage manager, that should do the trick... so should I really go through with trying to replace the driver?

As for the clean source, I popped in my MCE disk, ran nLite, then copied the CMPNENTS folder to it. I integrated drivers, then clicked finish (then nLite closes?) so I have to start nLite again, then I used last session then integrated the second set of drivers, then click finish (and nLite closes again). Then I open it yet again, click last session, then make ISO. How is that an unclean source? Because I have both drivers? I don't want to have to re-install, but if you think I should, then I will. But like I said, I do not want to use a RAID array unless its for Striping, to split data across both drives. I don't want to use mirroring to copy one drive to the other.

If you agree that I should try to replace drivers and/or re-install, then I will.

What do you mean my system won't run as it should? I do not understand what you mean by that, it seems to be working fine. I do not care about a RAID array, I just want the ability to use both drives for storage, and if I do like John says and just format it in the storage manager, that should do the trick... so should I really go through with trying to replace the driver?
As long as your system is running fine, you shouldn't change anything, but I really doubt, that it will.

What you may do is the following:

Do a right click onto the "Mass Storage Controller" and look for the HardwareID's of it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's".

As for the clean source, I popped in my MCE disk, ran nLite, then copied the CMPNENTS folder to it. I integrated drivers, then clicked finish (then nLite closes?) so I have to start nLite again, then I used last session then integrated the second set of drivers,
The loading of the "last_session.ini" was the mistake, because this way you got both drivers installed.
If you agree that I should try to replace drivers and/or re-install, then I will.
Before you do that, give me the HardwareID's of the "Mass Storage Controller".

Also I used last session.ini because I wanted both drivers to be installed (I didnt know you wanted me to use one or the other, I thought you meant to use both) so that was on purpose

But if I redo the CD I will just use your modded driver

shadesters, are you sure the vendor and device IDs are for your Mass Storage Controller? They translate into a Texas Instrument Integrated FlashMedia Controller. See here. Fernando 1 will have to tell us for sure if you think it is correct. Enjoy, John.