Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Help installing XP MCE on Laptop with RAID

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

shadesters

shadesters

• 12 posts
Hmmm

What do you mean my system won't run as it should? I do not understand what you mean by that, it seems to be working fine. I do not care about a RAID array, I just want the ability to use both drives for storage, and if I do like John says and just format it in the storage manager, that should do the trick... so should I really go through with trying to replace the driver?

As for the clean source, I popped in my MCE disk, ran nLite, then copied the CMPNENTS folder to it. I integrated drivers, then clicked finish (then nLite closes?) so I have to start nLite again, then I used last session then integrated the second set of drivers, then click finish (and nLite closes again). Then I open it yet again, click last session, then make ISO. How is that an unclean source? Because I have both drivers? I don't want to have to re-install, but if you think I should, then I will. But like I said, I do not want to use a RAID array unless its for Striping, to split data across both drives. I don't want to use mirroring to copy one drive to the other.

If you agree that I should try to replace drivers and/or re-install, then I will.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

What do you mean my system won't run as it should? I do not understand what you mean by that, it seems to be working fine. I do not care about a RAID array, I just want the ability to use both drives for storage, and if I do like John says and just format it in the storage manager, that should do the trick... so should I really go through with trying to replace the driver?

As long as your system is running fine, you shouldn't change anything, but I really doubt, that it will.

What you may do is the following:
Do a right click onto the "Mass Storage Controller" and look for the HardwareID's of it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's".

As for the clean source, I popped in my MCE disk, ran nLite, then copied the CMPNENTS folder to it. I integrated drivers, then clicked finish (then nLite closes?) so I have to start nLite again, then I used last session then integrated the second set of drivers,

The loading of the "last_session.ini" was the mistake, because this way you got both drivers installed.

If you agree that I should try to replace drivers and/or re-install, then I will.

Before you do that, give me the HardwareID's of the "Mass Storage Controller".
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

shadesters

shadesters

• 12 posts
Mass Storage Controller Hardware ID's

PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8033&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_00
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8033&SUBSYS_00011179
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8033&CC_018000
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8033&CC_0180

shadesters

shadesters

• 12 posts
Also I used last session.ini because I wanted both drivers to be installed (I didnt know you wanted me to use one or the other, I thought you meant to use both) so that was on purpose

But if I redo the CD I will just use your modded driver

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
shadesters, are you sure the vendor and device IDs are for your Mass Storage Controller? They translate into a Texas Instrument Integrated FlashMedia Controller. See here. Fernando 1 will have to tell us for sure if you think it is correct. Enjoy, John.

shadesters

shadesters

• 12 posts
That is what it said under the mass storage controller.... maybe it is for the flashmedia, this laptop does have that... so maybe it has nothing to do with the harddrives at all??? I formatted the other harddrive and now I have all 120GB to use... I dont see a need to re-do anything at this point...

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

Mass Storage Controller Hardware ID's
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8033&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_00
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8033&SUBSYS_00011179
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8033&CC_018000
PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8033&CC_0180

johnhc is right - these HarwareID's belong to the "Integrated Flash Media Controller" from Texas Instruments and have nothing to do with your hdd's and their Controllers.

That is a very surprising finding, because it verifies, that your system doesn't have a RAID Controller at all.
I have never heard before about a system, which has been set to "RAID" within the BIOS, but which will run in "AHCI Mode" nevertheless. That will always be Toshiba's secret.
I wondered already about the AHCI Controller, which is listed within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of your Device Manager.

I formatted the other harddrive and now I have all 120GB to use... I dont see a need to re-do anything at this point...

No, there is no reason anymore to redo the install or to install any other textmode driver.
The only thing you should do is to install the Intel Chipset Device Software (you can get it from >here< and the appropriate Ethernet driver for your system.

Have fun!
Fernando
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

shadesters

shadesters

• 12 posts
I will download the chipset drivers and install them. Maybe there is no RAID thing in the device manager because the disks are set to JBOD? I have no clue... But I know that my brother won't care, as long as he can use all 120GB then he will be happy.

Also, there is a raid utility that i downloaded from the toshiba website under the downloads for the G25-AV13, and it won't even install. It says that it has to end prematurely for some reason. Oh well, maybe it is because of the same reason, the disks are in JBOD mode. Who knows...

But anyways, the computer is 100% usable again. So thanks for all your help guys! I could not have done it without you!

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

Maybe there is no RAID thing in the device manager because the disks are set to JBOD?

No, you don't see any RAID device within the Device Manager, because your SATA hdd's are running in "AHCI Mode" instead of "RAID Mode".

Also, there is a raid utility that i downloaded from the toshiba website under the downloads for the G25-AV13, and it won't even install. It says that it has to end prematurely for some reason. Oh well, maybe it is because of the same reason, the disks are in JBOD mode.

The hdd's of your brother's notebook are running in "AHCI Mode", which has nothing to do with RAID.

But anyways, the computer is 100% usable again. So thanks for all your help guys! I could not have done it without you!

You are welcome!
We learned much about Toshiba's "tricky" RAID Controllers, which are in reality simple Intel ICH6M AHCI Controllers.

Hopefully your brother will have fun with his reanimated Toshiba notebook.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• 2,295 posts

But anyways, the computer is 100% usable again.

You mean 50%...you wont see the same performance

We learned much about Toshiba's "tricky" RAID Controllers

Not tricky at all

Edited by ricktendo64, 26 November 2009 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN