Memory Tweaking

Aaron

From TweakXP.com

Below are some Windows XP memory tweaks. They are located in the windows registry at: [b:02fa95bca0]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management[/b:02fa95bca0]

[img:02fa95bca0]http://www.tweakxp.com/images/blue_block.gif[/img:02fa95bca0] [b:02fa95bca0]DisablePagingExecutive[/b:02fa95bca0] - When enabled, this setting will prevent the paging of the Win2k Executive files to the hard drive, causing the OS and most programs to be more responsive. However, it is advised that people should only perform this tweak if they have a significant amount of RAM on their system (more than 128 MB), because this setting does use a substantial portion of your system resources. By default, the value of this key is 0. To enable it, set it to 1.

[img:02fa95bca0]http://www.tweakxp.com/images/blue_block.gif[/img:02fa95bca0] [b:02fa95bca0]LargeSystemCache[/b:02fa95bca0] - When enabled (the default on Server versions of Windows 2000), this setting tells the OS to devote all but 4 MB of system memory (which is left for disk caching) to the file system cache. The main effect of this is allowing the computer to cache the OS Kernel to memory, making the OS more responsive. The setting is dynamic and if more than 4 MB is needed from the disk cache for some reason, the space will be released to it. By default, 8MB is earmarked for this purpose. This tweak usually makes the OS more responsive. It is a dynamic setting, and the kernel will give up any space deemed necessary for another application (at a performance hit when such changes are needed). As with the previous key, set the value from 0 to 1 to enable. Note that in doing this, you are consuming more of your system RAM than normal. While LargeSystemCache will cut back usage when other apps need more RAM, this process can impede performance in certain intensive situations. According to Microsoft, the "[0] setting is recommended for servers running applications that do their own memory caching, such as Microsoft SQL Server, and for applications that perform best with ample memory, such as Internet Information Services."

[img:02fa95bca0]http://www.tweakxp.com/images/blue_block.gif[/img:02fa95bca0] [b:02fa95bca0]IOPageLockLimit[/b:02fa95bca0] - This tweak is of questionable value to people that aren't running some kind of server off of their computer, but we will include it anyway. This tweak boosts the Input/Output performance of your computer when it is doing a large amount of file transfers and other similar operations. This tweak won't do much of anything for a system without a significant amount of RAM (if you don't have more than 128 MB, don't even bother), but systems with more than 128 MB of RAM will generally find a performance boost by setting this to between 8 and 16 MB. The default is 0.5 MB, or 512 KB. This setting requires a value in bytes, so multiply the desired number of megabytes * 1024 * 1024. That's X * 1048576 (where X is the number, in megabytes). Test out several settings and keep the one which seems to work best for your system.

• 1 month later...

Please be advised that these tweaks, as well as much of the content on TweakXp, is stolen. :mad:

In this case they could not even be bothered to do more than cut n paste.

The original can be found here -

http://arstechnica.com/tweak/win2k/others/memory-1.html

and was posted there in July 2001.

Credit, where credit is due, is no too much to ask, is it ?

Guest LouCypher

Well Micro, the fact is arstechnica didn't even post it first.

These "tweaks" have been around a lock longer than XP. The registry entries have been there since at least NT 4 SP6 and probably earlier. I have applied them to every installation of Windows NT/2000/XP since first finding the info on RegEdit.

Like here:

DisablePagingExecutive -

ht*p://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/399/

LargeSystemCache -

ht*p://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/931/

IoPageLockLimit -

ht*p://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/55/

I don't think it's say TweakXP is "stealing". I think "sharing" is more appropriate. If they are then so is arstechnica, because these certainly aren't only tweaks for XP they just discovered.

Lou

I understand the tweaks have been around.

Tweaks and their newness is relative to one's experience.

As you say, many of us have been using them for quite some time.

Many sites quote these same tweaks.

But they do so without stealing someone else's article on the subject and claiming it as their own.

It's the blatant "cut n paste" along with the "written by", "edited by", and "copyright by" that galls me.

The TweakXp article is a COMPLETE cut and paste, all 3 sections INCLUDING the space between paragraphs AND sections, and well as EVERY word are exactly the same. Every single word and space on the TweakXp page was cut n pasted from Ars Technica, not a single letter, punctuation, or space was changed.

Compare the 2 pages and you can see this easily. There is NO doubt.

THAT IS STEALING, not borrowing.

When you build a website by simply copying someone else's text and claiming them as your own, it's wrong. (I won't go into where the code for their product came from. Adults know how to use the "compare" feature in hex editors)

When you add your own "written by, edited by, and copyright by" to someone else's work, it becomes criminal in most parts of the world.

If you'll check TweakXp's other pages, you can easily find where they were cut and pasted from on the net, as well as TweakXp's "written by and edited by and copyright by" claims.

Micro...thanx for the helpful? information. If you are really upset about it, go complain to TweakXP but as for this forum, the info is most always credited as was the case above and that is the best we can do.

Cool tips Aaron. I wonder if these same features are being used in the tweakxp software cause that's what I use to get mem tweaks.

Rick

I won't go into where the code for their product came from. Adults know how to use the "compare" feature in hex editors[/quote:cfe393a7e6]

Im not an adult yet and i know how to use it, does this make me a child genius? also how do you know who posted it first? ther is no date on the arstecnica site.

Guest LouCypher

The Ars Technica article is from 3/2001 according to the title on the webpage. So it was written 7 months ago and seems to be just a compilation of the same things that were already on RegEdit.

If you ever happen to visit /., Geeknews, Geeknik, Kuro5hin, Advogato, The Register, Betanews, Memepool, MeFi...

Check them all out on the same day and you'll see the SAME article from some "reputable" news source (NY Times, MSNBC, CNN, etc.)

The "cut and paste" thing is common and happens everyday.

You know so many people have stick up there asses...Look were all in this together, rather it be a copy and paste from a program that everyone can get for free or another webpage. Please leave the hostility at home. Have a beer :beer and post help not anger...I think theres been enough of that lately...Dont you?[/color:6a031d2fe4]

-Chris

Micropocalypse -

Speak for yourself, not for me!

Some of us are legal.

Some of us actually are MS Technical Beta testers, not wannabe's.

And what does having "not yet released to the public software" have to do with TweakXp's plagarism and fraud ?

Your comments make no sense?

[b:94f5d9780c]Micro -[/b:94f5d9780c]

You’ve just about p***ed on my forums one to many times...Look Like I said before regardless if you think your higher on the food chain than anyone else, I have bad news for you...[b:94f5d9780c]YOUR NOT!!![/b:94f5d9780c] .Were all in this together....Cracks and tweaks are plastered all over the net, word for word from a program. Tweak-XP has been around for a long time and I’m sure lots of people use it, but some want just certain it’s to be applied. There’s no truth behind you saying theses tweaks were stolen nor do you have the right to accuse anyone of stealing. If you want to attribute to the forums I open my hand with a welcome and a smile...If your intentions are to lash out at others than I would ask you to leave and not return. Are efforts are needed in supporting and help those who need problems figured out dealing with XP, Not dealing with people with attitudes as you have. BTW you don’t have a clue who is and isn’t a Beta tester. The word has never affected me nor given me power over those who aren’t...This should apply to you as well. Please relax and have a beer :beer

-Chris