Making a Windows PE application

CalBoy

I'm trying to create a GUI for windows PE, mainly imagex. When i try and run the application i just get the 0xc0000135 error. It is just a single .exe with no application .dlls needed. I'm using the lastest version of windows PE downloaded from the microsoft site. I've created the application in Visual Basic 2008, all it does is runs commands for imagex for capturing a image and deploying a wim image. Is there any special way i have to make the application or code i have to write it in? Any plug ins or other programs i have to add to Windows PE to make it run? Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Most likely you are using a .NET library in your build. Windows PE does not support the .NET Framework. Copy Depends into your PE image, then run Depends on your app. I bet you will find you are missing some DLLs that are part of .NET.

Also, tell us what architecture your app is compiled for, and also the arch of the PE build.

This probably won't help the OP, but if anyone wants to run .NET apps from PE, it is possible with ThinApp.

http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2008/11/step-by-step-in.html

Does WimPE support VB Scripting by default. If the OP's app does not require any VB.NET features, it probably could be rewritten in .vbs.

But I cannot remember if you need to specifically include the script host package separately or not.

Can you give a link to this version of Windows PE you downloaded. In the past, I always had to make my own with DART, WAIK, or OPK, never seen a pre-compiled ISO for download.

This probably won't help the OP, but if anyone wants to run .NET apps from PE, it is possible with ThinApp.

http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2008/11/step-by-step-in.html

Does WimPE support VB Scripting by default. If the OP's app does not require any VB.NET features, it probably could be rewritten in .vbs.

But I cannot remember if you need to specifically include the script host package separately or not.

Can you give a link to this version of Windows PE you downloaded. In the past, I always had to make my own with DART, WAIK, or OPK, never seen a pre-compiled ISO for download.

If i write it in .vbs will there still be the GUI part of it? I'm afraid my knowledge of .vbs is not that large.

Sorry i meant WAIK, haha. All ive added to it is imagex and that is all i plan on using it for. I just would like the ability to use a GUI.

Thin app.... hmmmm..... i see how to compile it but how do i add this to windows PE?

Most likely you are using a .NET library in your build. Windows PE does not support the .NET Framework. Copy Depends into your PE image, then run Depends on your app. I bet you will find you are missing some DLLs that are part of .NET.

Also, tell us what architecture your app is compiled for, and also the arch of the PE build.

My app is compilied for 3.5 .net. Although this doesnt matter i could compile it for any build. Ahhhh its built from the latest WAIK.

If i write it in .vbs will there still be the GUI part of it? I'm afraid my knowledge of .vbs is not that large.

Sorry i meant WAIK, haha. All ive added to it is imagex and that is all i plan on using it for. I just would like the ability to use a GUI.

Thin app.... hmmmm..... i see how to compile it but how do i add this to windows PE?

Nope VBS not gonna work for you. Maybe a better question is - Have you already seen GImageX ? Not sure if it will work for you, but it is an Auto-It based GUI, so no .NET requirement.

As for thin apps, installing is very easy, just copy the compiled thinapp to your USB drive and double click. They are portable sandboxed applications - no installation required. To get the idea, check out ThinDownload.

Nope VBS not gonna work for you. Maybe a better question is - Have you already seen GImageX ? Not sure if it will work for you, but it is an Auto-It based GUI, so no .NET requirement.

As for thin apps, installing is very easy, just copy the compiled thinapp to your USB drive and double click. They are portable sandboxed applications - no installation required. To get the idea, check out ThinDownload.

Righteo! I get it now. Do i also add my application to the compiled app? Or just .Net 3.5? And once i have my compiled app and run it in windows PE i should be able to use my app (of course if i have done it correctly)?

Righteo! I get it now. Do i also add my application to the compiled app? Or just .Net 3.5? And once i have my compiled app and run it in windows PE i should be able to use my app (of course if i have done it correctly)?
I'd create two captures, one for .NET and a second one with the app the requires .NET. Next I'd edit the package.ini of the second package to add the .NET framework as a required App Link. Then the second package can access the framework from PE.

RequiredAppLinks=%ProgramFilesDir%\MyFolder\NET_Framework.exe

This will also be easier when it's time to make changes in your app, no need to repackage the entire framework each time.

• 2 months later...
Righteo! I get it now. Do i also add my application to the compiled app? Or just .Net 3.5? And once i have my compiled app and run it in

I just started using gimagex, it's really nice.

Edited by Tripredacus
fixed quote