Windows optimizer recomendation

Nicolaj.v

Hi, I'm not 100% sure if it's supposed to be in this topic but i didn't find anything better(

Resently I've found a lot of system optimization products over the internet and a I need a opinion or a review which one to choose as they seem worthy.

Can someone advice me of a best affordable system optimizer to buy or may be a website with some review or relevant information, that would really be appreciated.

Thank you, Nicolaj

Don't waste your money on these type of apps, use a free one like CCleaner. Don't use any registry optimizers though as they tend to break things making the system less stable and do nothing for performance.

CCleaner is the only program worth running once in a while to reclaim hard disk space from temporary files and such. You can use the defrag program built into windows once in a while if you have a hard drive with little free space and use it heavily.

Agreed - assuming your disk is defragmented regularly (and Win7 already does this for you on a schedule) and you keep your temp internet files clear of junk via apps like CCleaner, you should be fine. This used to be a real problem back in the 9x days, but even since W2K you can pretty much keep a "clean" machine for years if you are careful what you install and uninstall, keep your TIF clean, and defrag regularly. This mantra worked then, it worked on XP, it worked on Vista, and it works with Win7.

Such software usually is not as necessary as advertises say, in most cases everything can be done manually with a little time and dedication.

But still, if you are looking for some info or reviews - just google it up, you'll get the basic idea, you'll find plenty of sites like this optimzier review

Edited by nathan_s

Here are two keys that speed up Win7.

Autotuning will be enabled by these two , Autotuning=off by default.

This gave me a jump in performance.

Here's the registry tip:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

"TCPAutoTuning"=dword:00000001

Add this key too for a 64bit Win7

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

"TCPAutoTuning"=dword:00000001

I found a huge increase in performance on my system and i can recommend this tweak to everybody.

I am almost certain that feature is enabled by default since Vista, and is not available on XP and earlier.

Also I recommend using netsh or gpedit instead of the registry where possible since they are "supported". For example:

netsh int tcp show global

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

autotuninglevel - One of the following values:

disabled: Fix the receive window at its default value.

highlyrestricted: Allow the receive window to grow beyond its default value, but do so very conservatively.

restricted: Allow the receive window to grow beyond its default value, but limit such growth in some scenarios.

normal: Allow the receive window to grow to accomodate almost all scenarios.

experimental: Allow the receive window to grow to accomodate extreme scenarios.

We actually have a topic on this setting back from 2006 :)

http://www.msfn.org/board/heres-why-tcpwin...sta-t87969.html

This setting is actually determined by Windows Scaling Heuristics since Vista SP2 and is best left alone.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...036(WS.10).aspx

I am almost certain that feature is enabled by default since Vista, and is not available on XP and earlier

It is, for both (and there is no such thing in XP indeed). So there's exactly zero change.

We've all seen such "I found a huge increase in performance on my system" claims hundreds of times before as well, like the super-duper "enable superfetch in XP" tweaks and the like (nevermind the code that would use that key doesn't exist in XP). There's always a LOT of folks who'd swear it made a gigantic, day-and-night difference when there is none whatsoever.

And here, even if it was disabled by default (which it's not), it wouldn't help "global" system performance anyways, just network speed, and only under certain conditions (depending on link speed and latency mainly). There are even folks who had network performance problems caused by this and got a speed boost by disabling it.

And like pretty much everyone said already, optimizers are useless junk.

• 2 weeks later...