Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Windwos still takes over 67s to boot to the desktop. I can see that the DNS client service reads the host file into a cache and this generate a heavy CPU usage (dnsrslvr.dll!LoadHostFileIntoCache and dnsrslvr.dll!Cache_RecordSetAtomic).

Do you use the host file to as ad blocker? How large is the host files?

Also the trace still shows MSE/defender as cause of a high HDD utilization.

Regarding the MSE AND DEFENDER issue I'm T a loss as I have uninstalled MSE and didn't have defender running due to MSE so not sure ... I'll take a fresh look in the morning regarding both MSE and the hosts file but I don't use any ad blockers so should only be the default hosts file.

Thanks for help and be in touch soon (4:36am here).

EDIT #1:

Ok so i check my hosts file and i found why its so large. Spybot search and Destroy add hundreds/thousands of entries...should i remove these entries/spybot or would you recommend leaving that there?

Regarding the MSE/Defender issue im not sure as from what i can tell MSE is gone from my system and Defender isnt enabled.

EDIT #2:

On second look i found Defender still auto scanning and ON. Not sure how i missed it but will now re-time and post up ETL files a little later with the following command:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -stackwalk profile -resultPath C:\TEMP\6-Fix

Edited by jeked

the new trace shows that Windows boots a bit faster:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="54218" bootDoneViaPostBoot="162418"postBootDisturbance="98200"

the main issue is still the large time needed to to start all applications at Windows logon. Try to disable all unnecessary programs .

the new trace shows that Windows boots a bit faster:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="54218" bootDoneViaPostBoot="162418"postBootDisturbance="98200"

the main issue is still the large time needed to to start all applications at Windows logon. Try to disable all unnecessary programs .

This I don't understand as there are only 2 programs listed under msconfig to boot at startup and nothing in the startup folder... How would I go about searching out these other applications?

Thanks again,

Regards

?

You run dropbox, teamviewer, µtorrent, stardock fences, Synaptics tools, TightVNC,

Also how large is your Windows search index? The service takes 28s to init. Set the starttyp to manual and create a scheduled task which starts the service (net start WSearch), let me say 3min after logon. See if this helps.

Hi,

The start-up on my PC always feels slow, especially inbetween entering the password to log-on and the desktop. Running Windows 7 x64, 4GB RAM with an AMD Phenom II X3 720BE processor and an Asus motherboard.

I've enclosed the xbootmgr log, could you take a look at it and advise me how to improve it?

Thanks!

Dropbox

ok, your Windows boots in 57s to the desktop. I can see a long delay in the WinLogonInit phase.

Here it takes nearly 24 to start the Audio service:

serviceTransition name="AudioSrv" group="AudioGroup" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="23745"

post-70718-0-27522800-1350329838_thumb.p

So try to update the audio drivers for your Creative SB X-Fi.

ok, your Windows boots in 57s to the desktop. I can see a long delay in the WinLogonInit phase.

Here it takes nearly 24 to start the Audio service:

So try to update the audio drivers for your Creative SB X-Fi.

Ok, I've fully removed the previous driver and updated with the latest driver I could find (the only alternative was a beta) and re-ran the test.

Here's the updated files:

http://db.tt/7Xu4sSh6

Thanks for your help with this, it's appreciated.

Edited by Calippo

ok. the new boot traces shows that it is faster. Only 42s to the desktop, but it still doesn't show the end:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="42431" bootDoneViaPostBoot="-1"

The Audio service now starts faster (only 1s).

But your disk is busy all the time. You also use MSE and this causes a high CPU and disk activity. Try a different tool like AVG, Avira or Avast. Also try the cleanup tools from Startup like the AMD CCC which is very slow to start. And do you need all logitech software right at boot? What is SABnzbd.exe? Do you need it?

I can also see that the prefetcher doesn't work perfectly. So follow my optimization guide I've linked in the first post. Install the hotfixes, reboot, run the new command to reboot the PC 6 times.

This should give you a large boost.

I'm not at home at the moment, so I won't be able to try your suggestions until later on.

ok. the new boot traces shows that it is faster. Only 42s to the desktop, but it still doesn't show the end:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="42431" bootDoneViaPostBoot="-1"

The Audio service now starts faster (only 1s).

The Creative drivers for Windows 7 have been a complete farce. Is the time to start this significantly worse than expected? I'm tempted to replace the card with another brand, this might be the tipping point.

But your disk is busy all the time. You also use MSE and this causes a high CPU and disk activity. Try a different tool like AVG, Avira or Avast.

I'll remove MSE and try Avira instead.

Also try the cleanup tools from Startup like the AMD CCC which is very slow to start. And do you need all logitech software right at boot? What is SABnzbd.exe? Do you need it?

AMD CCC and Logitech I use for gaming, neither of which are essential at the first point where the PC is booted. Do you think it would be best to use Task Scheduler to set these to open at boot with a delay?

SABnzbd.exe is a downloader program, having it run in the background is only a convenience. Same again with TS?

I can also see that the prefetcher doesn't work perfectly. So follow my optimization guide I've linked in the first post. Install the hotfixes, reboot, run the new command to reboot the PC 6 times.

This should give you a large boost.

Will do. Thanks for your help