Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Hello, Andre, I just want to say I've read almost this whole thread and you sir, are an absolutely amazing individual.

I would be eternally grateful if you would take a look at my boot times and help me figure out what is taking so long. I followed this guide and ran the optimization and I did notice a significant improvement in boot times but I fear there may still be some issues.

Here is a link to my boot trace.

Thank you

Edited by Wario567

in your case the PreSMSS is slow:

+ <interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="65805" duration="65805">

When you look at the bootStart etry in the XML you see that starting your WD drive is slow with 61s:

- <phase name="bootStart" startTime="40" endTime="62878" duration="62838">  <pnpObject name="IDE\DiskWDC_WD10EADS-65M2BX_____________________01.00A01\5+333ee88f+0+1.0.0" type="Device" activity="Start" startTime="543" endTime="61785" duration="61242" prePendTime="61242" description="Disk drive" friendlyName="WDC WD10EADS-65M2BX ATA Device" /> 

try a different SATA port/cable and see if this fixes it.

If I may, instead of calling WDC_WD10EADS a "Caviar green" they would call them "slow molasses" the name would be appropriate, however there is a record for these "family" of drives to start becoming not responsive at boot time.

I would thus additionally check the drive with the Western Digital test tools as the symptom may be connected to an actual drive issue.

jaclaz

I tried using a brand new sata cable on two different ports and I fear the boot times remain largely unchanged

I'm running a WD extended diagnostic test, will post when it finishes.

Thankyou both for the quick responses!

Tested the drive with WD and the drive passed... after 6 hours of checking

A significant improvement in boot time after installing some more windows updates (including some in the optional tab which I did not notice) This appears to have fixed my issue, here is a link to a fresh trace after rerunning the optimizer, everything look okay to you guys?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7_UvLVLVqKtTFdWajJndU5ZLVU/edit?usp=sharing

Hello

I just installed Win 8.1 x64 on my computer.
Sabertooth x79 + 3930k + Samsung SSD 500Go (and SSD Intel 160GB)

Both sata are connected on SATA GBPS (brown sata)

Link of my boot :

http://pastebin.com/2kXHSVeU

THe PreSMSS time is very long.
What can i do ? Unplug Hard Disk to check the difference ? and ?
Every HDD are on Intel Chipset, nothing are connected on Marvell Chipset.

My system are installed in UEFI.

But if i format HDD in GPT, does it change anything ?

Edited by ordimans

disable the Marvel completely and try to connect the Samsung 840 Evo SSD to different ports. You also use a lot of older Samsung HDDs (HD204UI, HD154UI). Try to remove them and look if this makes a difference.Those green drives are really slow and may cause it.

Hello there, awesome guide.

Sadly i have a problem with making the html file of the Boot log.

When i enter the generate html command into cmd i get the following error message. (note: please ignore the first error in the pic as i mistyped the command)cmd%20error.JPG

So how do i go about increasing the buffer size and the log size? I had a poke around in "xperf -help start" but everything i tried just spat out failure messages.

Many, many thanks in advance,

Bentree.

disable the Marvel completely and try to connect the Samsung 840 Evo SSD to different ports. You also use a lot of older Samsung HDDs (HD204UI, HD154UI). Try to remove them and look if this makes a difference.Those green drives are really slow and may cause it.

I did.

I unplug all HDDs, and disable Marvell, ASmed chipset, everything i could.

Now i have this :

http://pastebin.com/Zs4AJdBi

What do you think ?

Edited by ordimans

So how do i go about increasing the buffer size and the log size? I had a poke around in "xperf -help start" but everything i tried just spat out failure messages.

I never figured this out. Open the ETL file directly in the viewer. It has a graph with the boot phases. Here you can see how long which phase takes.

Now i have this :

http://pastebin.com/Zs4AJdBi

What do you think ?

boot is very fast now (9s):

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="9359" bootDoneViaPostBoot="19259" 

I never figured this out. Open the ETL file directly in the viewer. It has a graph with the boot phases. Here you can see how long which phase takes.

OK, thanks will give that a shot. is it usual for the etl file to be half a gig or so in size?

MagicAndre: ok i opened the etl file, i was warned that 4807 events were lost. any way it opened up and i was greeted with about 40 different colored lines of various lengths. long story short i couldn't make head nor tale of the info. so i would very much appreciate it if you could look at the file for me. the link for the etl file is here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28370259/boot_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BPOWER_1.etl

I apologize for the size. i didn't change size when i tried to zip it.

Many Thanks, Ben.