Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Hi MagicAndre,

I'm back. Still having problems with hibernation. I've downloaded the KB2541014 you've suggested. It said it was already installed on my machine.

However, I've observed two things:

1. The hibernation is somewhat better if I do it on power. (It's "only" Error in the event log instead of the usual Critical.) However, it takes minutes if I pull out the adapter plug while the system hibernates. Why else to hibernate than disconnecting the cables and packing up the laptop?

2. One of these times I've happened to run xbootmgr. Here comes the interesting part: Though the hibernation took minutes (with low but continuous disk activity), the recorded log and WPA says it took only 19 seconds. However, the performance event log says it took 84 seconds - that's much closer to the truth. Now how can we figure out what's the problem if the log's lying?

you have an HDD issue:

//
// MessageId: STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE
//
// MessageText:
//
// A device which does not exist was specified.
//
#define STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE ((NTSTATUS)0xC000000EL)

Windows lost the device. Which HDD do you use? Are the cables ok?

you have an HDD issue:

//
// MessageId: STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE
//
// MessageText:
//
// A device which does not exist was specified.
//
#define STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE ((NTSTATUS)0xC000000EL)

Windows lost the device. Which HDD do you use? Are the cables ok?

I use Corsair SSD F120. I don't think there is any problem with the cables

Andre,

What is the point to check the log if it's clearly not showing the truth?...

Or where we could find info about the slow hibernation if the Event log is the only place in Windows so far that shows anything that may be valid?

(By the way, I liked previous Windows versions much more since they showed hibernation progress. Windows 7 blanks the screen immediately and the small power LED is the only indicator that the laptop is still on.)

I don't know what is the slowest part - there is 80%+ disk activity according to the log for the 19 second duration it says, though I remember a much lower activity for the most part.

The AHCI power settings are both on Active (plugged/battery) so I guess it's not a HIPM issue.

If even you're out of ideas, should we issue a bug report to Microsoft?

I use Corsair SSD F120.

do you use the latest firmware? Also check the SMART values and post a screenshot.

which log?

(By the way, I liked previous Windows versions much more since they showed hibernation progress. Windows 7 blanks the screen immediately and the small power LED is the only indicator that the laptop is still on.)

this happens since Vista (WDDM issue).

I don't know what is the slowest part - there is 80%+ disk activity according to the log for the 19 second duration it says, though I remember a much lower activity for the most part.

The AHCI power settings are both on Active (plugged/battery) so I guess it's not a HIPM issue.

have you created the XML? What does it show?

If even you're out of ideas, should we issue a bug report to Microsoft?

contact the support:

http://support.microsoft.com/gethelp/default.aspx?content=ph;en-us;14019

which log?

I meant the .etl file, viewed by the Windows Performance Analyzer GUI.

have you created the XML? What does it show?

Of course I've created XML. It starts with

<scenario start="2175477" duration="135916882" suspend="15078000" resumecritical="554043" hiberwrite="69250000" hiberpageswritten="336129" hiberread="29422000" resume="1336000">

And the branches with significant duration are

<suspendapps start="2175643" duration="2280457" totalChildrenDuration="1065107">

<flushvolumes start="4635516" duration="7942940" />

<querydevices start="4491802" duration="143714">

<suspenddevices start="12578456" duration="4675687">

I don't know in which units are these (clearly not milliseconds) but if they were microseconds, then the total duration were around 136 seconds (may be true).

And what is interesting, me too have a

<device start="16473356" duration="34737" name="IDE\DiskST9500423AS_____________________________0001DEM1\4&160fd31b&0&0.0.0">

<device start="16127668" duration="344569" name="IDE\DiskSATA_SSD________________________________S5FAM011\4&160fd31b&0&0.2.0">

lines. I'm 100% sure I've set my disks to AHCI mode in BIOS.

msinfo32 shows that Windows uses iastor.sys 10.1.0.1008, that's Intel® Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

it is not the problem of Windows but Corsair SSD itself :(

ok. How did you found the cause?

i made a search (which I dont know why I could not do it before) and found a Corsair forum where many customers complaint about this issue. Corsair has also confirmed it, but so far their solution still is unsure yet. So I guess I just have to use hibernate instead.

Of course I've created XML. It starts with

<scenario start="2175477" duration="135916882" suspend="15078000" resumecritical="554043" hiberwrite="69250000" hiberpageswritten="336129" hiberread="29422000" resume="1336000">

I don't know in which units are these (clearly not milliseconds) but if they were microseconds, then the total duration were around 136 seconds (may be true).

those are µs. So writing the hibernation file takes 69s and reading takes 29s. This is terrible slow :(

And what is interesting, me too have a

<device start="16473356" duration="34737" name="IDE\DiskST9500423AS_____________________________0001DEM1\4&160fd31b&0&0.0.0">

<device start="16127668" duration="344569" name="IDE\DiskSATA_SSD________________________________S5FAM011\4&160fd31b&0&0.2.0">

lines. I'm 100% sure I've set my disks to AHCI mode in BIOS.

msinfo32 shows that Windows uses iastor.sys 10.1.0.1008, that's Intel® Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

this is one of the issues I don't understand. My Samsumg F3 HDD which I run in AHCI shows up as SCSI:

SCSI\DISK&VEN_SAMSUNG&PROD_HD103SJ\

i made a search (which I dont know why I could not do it before) and found a Corsair forum where many customers complaint about this issue. Corsair has also confirmed it, but so far their solution still is unsure yet.

this is disappointing for you. That's why I still have a normal HDD. Runs fine and has no issue.