Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

<br />@supjack<br /><br />I got your Trace and the shutdown hangs because of Clearing the Hibernation file (ZeroHiberFile). This takes 430 seconds.<br /><br />
<br />
<interval name="WaitForWinstationShutdown" startTime="5855" endTime="6200" duration="345" /> <br />
<interval name="PreShutdownNotification" startTime="6733" endTime="9562" duration="2829" /> <br />
<interval name="NtShutdownSystem" startTime="14569" endTime="450322" duration="435752" /> <br />
<interval name="ZeroHiberFile" startTime="14595" endTime="444415" duration="429820" /> <---------<br />

<br /><br />But I only know the registry entry ClearPageFileAtShutdown to clear the pagefile, but not the hibernation file. Have you used any kind of "Tweaking" tools?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

This PC's only function was to be for a user to work with QuickBooks 2010 so all that was installed was:

Vmware tools (the PC is a guest on top of ESX 4.0 host)

QuickBooks 2010

Windows performance tool kit (installed for this issue)

BillP Winpatrol (installed for this issue)

F-Prot Anti-Virus

And a registry mod from this link found here when selecting the download button. But I got this and ran it after having the issue in question.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26476-desktop-shutdown-tweaks-combined.html

Thanks for looking at this

I'm creating a ticket with vmware support right now because my gut tells me at this point that the vmware tools install could be the only thing thats been installed so far that could tweak things like this. I've also been looking power and performance setting in Win 7 but I need to review things first, MS has changed the interface so much I'm seeing that I need to re-learn things as well as finding where the gui interfaces to sub components are now located.

ran powercfg -h off from elevated command prompt..........seemed hung at first, but maybe it was busy dumping the hyberfil file. Tested by doing two re-boots...............seems like nothing changed

EDIT 1: Have removed all software and the same things is still there after each item removed . Going to wipe and start over and what closely for the issue after each little change is done to see if I can catch what caused the issue. My guess right now is that something got tweaked during a software install and the Windows removal process has not backed it out. <br /><br />Also, vmware initially wanted me to apply <a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3a7b7298-37e6-4edf-a017-09a6bbc75287&DisplayLang=en' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en</a> But it does not specifically say its for Win 7 systems as well so I did not try it.

EDIT 2: dumped trying to fix the existing install, figuring that its going to be like chasing a ghost to fix it. I did fresh install and let the process auto update with two patches KB978601 & KB979309. As part of the install process the system rebooted. This was lighting quick. After the re-boot, to check and insure, I manually rebooted the system, it went through the shut down process lightning quick.

Executed the vmware tools install "setup64.exe" from within the guest and left the default options as selected. The install process initiated re-boot at the end, again the system re-booted lightening quick. After coming back up, to check and insure, I manually rebooted the system, again it went through the shut down process lightning quick.

I then went through the process to add the PC to the domain. Slightly slower re-boot this time. The boot up process took a little longer this time to get to a CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

Logged in as domain administrator, once the desktop came up, I re-booted. OK, the long time to shut down is now happening again. Once it finally re-booted I logged in as another user and then did a re-boot.......again same thing.

I'm wondering what can change within a basic Win 7 OS install after adding a PC to a domain, and a user logging in for the first time........this is a real basic Win 7 OS install. We do not use log in scripts or sophisticated domain policies.........its a real basic setup in order to keep things simple to work with and maintain.

So far we have three other Win 7 installs including one that's virtualized like this one, no issues with them.

Andre, I'll get another file over to you from this fresh install.

Edited by supjack

the log is not complete, from what I see (without extracting it). What is shown in the log?

@MagicAndre1981 I PMed you the password for the zip i posted above.

Let me know specifically what else you need...

perhaps I need to run another trace?

ok, I checked the trace and the services are fine.

The delay occurs during shutdown the IO-system.

<interval name="IoShutdownSystem" startTime="15683" endTime="46995" duration="31312" /> 

this takes 30s.

I found that you use a RAMdrive (RAMDiskVE.sys - F:\FFRAMDisk.img), which causes a huge IO access while shutdown.

Disable the RAMdrive and the issue is gone. What have you stored there?

ok, I checked the trace and the services are fine.

The delay occurs during shutdown the IO-system.

<interval name="IoShutdownSystem" startTime="15683" endTime="46995" duration="31312" /> 

this takes 30s.

I found that you use a RAMdrive (RAMDiskVE.sys - F:\FFRAMDisk.img), which causes a huge IO access while shutdown.

Disable the RAMdrive and the issue is gone. What have you stored there?

Thank you. Yes, that's a RAM disk for Firefox (MUCH faster and more responsive). I will disable it and test. Which trace did you check, though?

OK, tested. Shame on me for ignoring RAM disk. With RAM disk disabled, Windows shuts down in under 30 seconds.

Funny thing is that it takes 30 seconds to save the disk and (without it) about 20 seconds to shutdown Windows, but when RAM disk is enabled shutdown takes around 4 minutes. How is that possible?

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out! I guess I'll have to remember to unload RAM disk before each reboot.

Edited by asmodeus

Thank you. Yes, that's a RAM disk for Firefox (MUCH faster and more responsive). I will disable it and test. Which trace did you check, though?

I tested the complete trace without disabling anything. As you see, disabling services doesn't mean you improve anything. You always have to make a trace and look at the data.