Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 Proessor

It has 8 GB of main memory and a 512 GB SSD Drive from Crucual (M4 Drive)

Running Windows7 Enterprose Edition 64 bit.

Hibernate resume take almost 2 minutes. I typicylly run 2 session of FireFox, One session of Internet Exploree and Google Chrome., Thunderbird and Trillian (IM Tool)

Systems works great and hard driver performance is great as expected from a SSD drive.

Only issue is when I resume from Hibernate, it takes 2 minutes. I am not able to put my finfer on the issue.

I ran xbootmgr -trace hibernate -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP and has an output

I can see that drivers takes almost 2000 ms in loading initial drivers it points to ntfs.sys and few more.

Can someone help me analyze the file and recommend on ehat drivers I may have to update if this problem is related a driver.

I have uploaded the at this location - File for Analysis

Else. you can point me a direction once you review the output.

See the attached file and Thanks a lot in Advance.

Regards,

Sam.

Edited by smmehta

Hi Andre,

My monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 172x) has two inputs: digital (DVI) and analog (VGA). I always had it connected through the digital input. Because of the startup delays I now have it connected through the analog input. So far it seems to have solved the problem but I will test this some more days. I will let you know the results.

If this happen to be the definite solution, I wonder why.

Leo

which attached file?

My monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 172x) has two inputs: digital (DVI) and analog (VGA). I always had it connected through the digital input. Because of the startup delays I now have it connected through the analog input. So far it seems to have solved the problem

ok, nice find. I hope this is the fix :thumbup

Hi Andre,

First of all, thanks for your superb original post. Basically I have hibernation problems, it often takes minutes - I turn off the lights, I walk to my bed, lay down, etc. and the laptop is still working. Windows Event log shows times of 100..180 or even 300 seconds. I have recorded trace logs of only 45 sec hibernate and 45 sec resume though.

Checking the logs I don't see any hogging applications or drivers. What makes me wonder is disk I/O. First of all, there are more I/O reads during a hibernation than writes. Does it make any sense? And on resume, there is a significant amount of writes during reading back the data. The Disk Usage graph says my SSD system drive works at 100% during both hibernation and resume. However, the disk activity LED is far from showing complete utilisation (compared to file copying, for example): it only flashes.

Once I managed to get a 15 sec hibernation and 30 sec resume on this same machine, with the same amount of running applications - in this case with no I/O reads during hibernate and almost no writes during resume, and with very low disk utilization during hibernate.

Me too have a Dell laptop, Precision M4600, i7-2720QM, 8 GB RAM (usually 2.5 ... 3.5 GB used), mSATA SSD system disk, Windows 7 x64. No external display, but having external USB keyboard and mouse.

Do you have any suggestions what else could I check or how could I send you the huge logs?

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 Proessor

It has 8 GB of main memory and a 512 GB SSD Drive from Crucual (M4 Drive)

Running Windows7 Enterprose Edition 64 bit.

Laptop works great and SSD drive rocks except when I resume from Hibernate.

Hibernate resume take almost 2 minutes. I typicylly run 2 session of FireFox, One session of Internet Exploree and Google Chrome., Thunderbird and Trillian (IM Tool)

Systems works great and hard driver performance is great as expected from a SSD drive.

Only issue is when I resume from Hibernate, it takes 3 minutes. I am not able to put my finger on the issue.

I ran xbootmgr -trace hibernate -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP and has an output

I can see that drivers takes almost 2000 ms in loading initial drivers it points to ntfs.sys and few more.

Can someone help me analyze the file and recommend on ehat drivers I may have to update if this problem is related a driver.

I have uploaded the at this location - File for Analysts

Else. you can point me a direction once you review the output.

Regards,

Sam.

Edited by smmehta

reading and writing the hibernation file is also terrible slow for you.

<scenario start="149774" duration="187286810" suspend="5205000" resumecritical="275147" hiberwrite="50337000" hiberpageswritten="287449" hiberread="84908000" resume="569000">

Also try this update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541014/en-us

Does it make a difference?

Thanks for your reply MagicAndre1981. I have already applied the patch and does not make any difference.

Boot process is with in 10 seconds but Hibernate/resume is almost 3 minutes.

I have another laptop Dell Latitude D630 with a smaller SSD and I have no issues with that. Looks like some driver issue?

Did you get a chance to review the files I posted?

Regards,

Sam