Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Dropbox took an overly long time to upload, about an hour for 110 K file! Surely there is something faster than that! If I had compressed the file would I have been able to attach it to my message instead of using Dropbox?

You have issues with loading the drivers at first stage of boot (PreSMSS - read the first post to understand what this means). This takes 45s in your case:

<interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="45375" duration="45375">

The Microsoft-Windows-VolumeSnapshot-Driver seems to take nearly 30s to start.

I see you use an OCZ-AGILITY3 with firmware 2.12. The latets version is v2.22. So update the frmware and look if this has an impact.

Also do you run your SSD in IDE or AHCI mode? And to which port have you connected it? To the Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller or to the Ports of your chipset? Try to fix this and it should fix the delays.

Since it boots in 19 s with the two WD hard drives disconnected, I am wondering how the firmware of the OCZ drive could be an issue? Also, since it boots in 22 s with the addition of the 1 TB black WD drive, it seems the issue must be directly related to the addition of the 3 TB WD green drive!! With the OCZ and 3 TB drive the boot time jumps to the 95 s mark. No drives are currently connected to the Marvell controller. Connecting the 3 TB drive to the Marvell controller made no significant difference to the boot time. Neither did changing the respective ports of the other drives on the non Marvell ports. All drives are running in AHCI mode. The OCZ drive and th 3 TB drive are both Sata 6G drives and are both connected to those ports on the MB, although I did try other ports for the 3 TB drive to no avail.

Hi MagicAndre1981

I'm not sure this comes within the scope of this thread, so maybe there's another one you'd like me to take this to. The problem I have is Windows NOT going to standby for no apparent reason (Windows seems absolutely terrible at giving the user any useful information about what's preventing standby). It works half the time and then other times just doesn't, so it's not any devices that are preventing standby.

If I do powercfg - requests it shows

C:\Users\MediaPortal>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY: None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE: None.

but I've used the tweak to "Enable standby with remote opens" in Power Options and powercfg -requestsoverride shows

C:\Users\MediaPortal>powercfg -requestsoverride
[SERVICE]

[PROCESS]

[DRIVER]
\FileSystem\srvnet SYSTEM

I've got LogMeIn installed, which has an option at install to "Prevent standby when AC power is available". I'm not sure how it enforces that, but I unticked it anyway so that shouldn't be the problem. I also have TightVNC installed and both of these use mirror drivers but I don't think there's any reason why they'd prevent standby.

Make 3 traces with this command:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -stackwalk profile

Now run this command when you use the SSD only, when you have 1 WD connected and when you have both WD connected.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84817323/boot_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BDRIVERS%2BPOWER_1_SSD_1TB_3TB.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84817323/boot_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BDRIVERS%2BPOWER_1_SSD_1TB.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84817323/boot_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BDRIVERS%2BPOWER_1_SSD.zip

If attaching files actually works on this site, it is not obvious how! It says it will, the files are under 500 k, as required, the files show up in the required window, then nada!

Edited by darthgrader

I have red almost every post in this subject, tried every tweak which I could find on the internet and nothing, reinstalled system several times, disabled every proccess (win and no win) which could be disabled, and still shut down time on win 7 on asus laptop is to long.

Basically, I have a problem with NtShutdownSystem interval, which lasts 67,5 seconds.

If anyone have any idea, shout it out.

17966622.jpg

Here is xml summary_shutdown file:

summary_shutdown.xml

I'm not sure this comes within the scope of this thread, so maybe there's another one you'd like me to take this to. The problem I have is Windows NOT going to standby for no apparent reason

please start a new topic in the forum for your Windows version.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84817323/boot_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BDRIVERS%2BPOWER_1_SSD_1TB_3TB.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84817323/boot_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BDRIVERS%2BPOWER_1_SSD_1TB.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84817323/boot_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BDRIVERS%2BPOWER_1_SSD.zip

If attaching files actually works on this site, it is not obvious how! It says it will, the files are under 500 k, as required, the files show up in the required window, then nada!

With SSD only you have a delay in SMSS mostyl caused by the driver SiRemFil.sys:

post-70718-0-21324100-1339879143_thumb.p

This is the Silicon Image SATALink controller driver. So I asked this after your first post. The detection of the drives was slow, so connect the WD and the SSD to different SATA ports on your mainbaord. Tghe same delay is also present in all other traces.

Basically, I have a problem with NtShutdownSystem interval, which lasts 67,5 seconds.

If anyone have any idea, shout it out.

17966622.jpg

Please run this command:

xbootmgr –trace shutdown -traceFlags BASE+LATENCY+DISK_IO_INIT+DISPATCHER+DRIVERS+FILE_IO+FILE_IO_INIT+NETWORKTRACE+PERF_COUNTER+POWER+PRIORITY+REGISTRY -resultPath C:\TEMP

it captures more data (also disk and registry calls). Maybe this shows me more details. Zip the trace upload it to SkyDrive,Dropboxand send me a link.

I'm not sure this comes within the scope of this thread, so maybe there's another one you'd like me to take this to. The problem I have is Windows NOT going to standby for no apparent reason

please start a new topic in the forum for your Windows version.

Thanks, will do.

Please run this command:

xbootmgr –trace shutdown -traceFlags BASE+LATENCY+DISK_IO_INIT+DISPATCHER+DRIVERS+FILE_IO+FILE_IO_INIT+NETWORKTRACE+PERF_COUNTER+POWER+PRIORITY+REGISTRY -resultPath C:\TEMP

it captures more data (also disk and registry calls). Maybe this shows me more details. Zip the trace upload it to SkyDrive,Dropboxand send me a link.

Any idea? I made another trace and process daemonu.exe from nvidia update seems to last till the end of shut down process. I disabled it, but still the same. If nothing can be done, I am going to install another OS (xp, or linux), to make sure problem is not windows 7 related.

With SSD only you have a delay in SMSS mostyl caused by the driver SiRemFil.sys:

post-70718-0-21324100-1339879143_thumb.p

This is the Silicon Image SATALink controller driver. So I asked this after your first post. The detection of the drives was slow, so connect the WD and the SSD to different SATA ports on your mainbaord. Tghe same delay is also present in all other traces.

"Connect the WD and SSD to different SATA ports."

Here is the thing. The board has two Marvel SATA 3 ports, which it says not to use for the boot drive, two other SATA 3 ports. The two drives in question are SATA3 drives. If I connect them to SATA 2 ports (there are 4) it will slow down their performance in transferring data. (by the way, I have two internal SATA optical drives connected to two of those 4 SATA2 ports) I have already tried the WD 3 TB drive on the Marvel SATA 3 port that is not shared with the eSATA port and it had no effect on the boot time. Not even a minimal effect, none. I had the WD 3 TB drive on a SATA 2 port, which one I do not recall, and again it made no significant difference in the boot time. So the question then is, exactly what is it that you want me to try? I am happy to give it a go but I don't know what it is you think I should do here that I have not already done.

I made another trace and process daemonu.exe from nvidia update seems to last till the end of shut down process. I disabled it, but still the same. If nothing can be done, I am going to install another OS (xp, or linux), to make sure problem is not windows 7 related.

send me the latest trace file, please.

Here is the thing. The board has two Marvel SATA 3 ports, which it says not to use for the boot drive, two other SATA 3 ports. The two drives in question are SATA3 drives. If I connect them to SATA 2 ports (there are 4) it will slow down their performance in transferring data. (by the way, I have two internal SATA optical drives connected to two of those 4 SATA2 ports) I have already tried the WD 3 TB drive on the Marvel SATA 3 port that is not shared with the eSATA port and it had no effect on the boot time. Not even a minimal effect, none. I had the WD 3 TB drive on a SATA 2 port, which one I do not recall, and again it made no significant difference in the boot time. So the question then is, exactly what is it that you want me to try? I am happy to give it a go but I don't know what it is you think I should do here that I have not already done.

normal HDD likes your WD are not slow-downed by SATA2. No normal HDD is so fast. Only SSDs reach the limits.

You can try to update the BIOS and load the default setting and try to install never AHCI drivers. If nothing helps, try a PCIe card which provides additional SATA ports.