Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

slow Boot bootvis performance

• Please log in to reply
1212 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

but not Advanced System Care, since this program is a maintenance tool, but if you think that is not necessary I will uninstall it right away,

remove it, too. it is only crap. No Windows needs a maintenance tool. Windows has it included. It defrags the HDD if the PC is idle. I run the disk cleanup tool once per week with the task scheduler to delete my temp files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253597

That's all you need.

Hi Andrei. Thank you for this tutorial.

But, in my case, the command prompt seems can't open the output file which is in .xml

It said.Failed to open output file.

What's wrong with it? Thank you.

when you start the cmd.exe with admin rights, the current patch is C:\Windows\system32. So you must do what SonofNun told you to go C:\temp. I already replied to the Speedup topic.
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

redd2x

redd2x
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 18-October 11
Thank you to the to of you. haha. You helped a lot.

Laz11

Laz11
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 27-October 11
Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask you guys to have a look on my attached boot trace XML because my Windows 7 just takes too long to start up. I know that the beginning of this topic has the solution what to do but i just still dont know which drivers or other things are slowing my laptop down (dell inspiron n7110)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=cac384aa6779d3d0&resid=CAC384AA6779D3D0!211&authkey=sGLy*vugUGI%24

Thank you,
Laz

SonofNun

SonofNun

• 24 posts
  • Joined 13-October 11
Laz,

After looking at your boot trace, several main things pop out at me.

1) Roxio takes a total of around 25 seconds to start, so, depending on whether you use it, you can either uninstall it, or use MSConfig to turn off the startup of this program
2) Google updater should be turned off. It takes 5 seconds to start up.
3) I am not sure what facebook update is, but it takes a few seconds and probably is unnecessary.
4) OK, here is the big one. A WMI service takes 190 seconds, and a second WMI service takes 89 seconds, and a third one takes 76 seconds. I am not sure why there are three of these running and why they take so long, but it is unusual and we should try to find a fix for that.
5)Acrodist.exe (Adobe acrobat distiler) takes 52 seconds to start up. Try and see if you can shut it off using either the Services console or MSConfig

If I understand it correctly, I think it shows that it takes around 4 minutes to complete startup. Does that sound right?

How long have you used this installation of Windows?

Thanks,
SonofNun

SonofNun

SonofNun

• 24 posts
  • Joined 13-October 11
@MagicAndre

If my value for bootDoneViaPostBoot = 46951, that means it took almost 37 seconds to finish booting right?

Thanks,
SonofNun

Laz11

Laz11
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 27-October 11

Laz,

After looking at your boot trace, several main things pop out at me.

1) Roxio takes a total of around 25 seconds to start, so, depending on whether you use it, you can either uninstall it, or use MSConfig to turn off the startup of this program
2) Google updater should be turned off. It takes 5 seconds to start up.
3) I am not sure what facebook update is, but it takes a few seconds and probably is unnecessary.
4) OK, here is the big one. A WMI service takes 190 seconds, and a second WMI service takes 89 seconds, and a third one takes 76 seconds. I am not sure why there are three of these running and why they take so long, but it is unusual and we should try to find a fix for that.
5)Acrodist.exe (Adobe acrobat distiler) takes 52 seconds to start up. Try and see if you can shut it off using either the Services console or MSConfig

If I understand it correctly, I think it shows that it takes around 4 minutes to complete startup. Does that sound right?

How long have you used this installation of Windows?

Thanks,
SonofNun

Thank you SonofNun for your fast reply :)
You are right, it takes like 4 minutes to start up :S. So i will do the steps you recommended and i will post the results.

Regards,
Laz

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

@MagicAndre

If my value for bootDoneViaPostBoot = 46951, that means it took almost 37 seconds to finish booting right?

yes, the 10s are the idle detection. Nice to see that you're interested in this topic and try to help other users :)

@Laz11

after you did what SonofNun told you run the optimization from the first topic. Your ReadyBoot Cache is broken. This causes the terrible performance.
Posted Image

SonofNun

SonofNun

• 24 posts
  • Joined 13-October 11
Thanks. I want to understand this topic inside and out so I can be doing this for other people without having to mess with the waiting involved with asking on this forum. (Not that I don't appreciate what you do to help, but if I am doing this on someone else's computer who wouldn't be able to do it themselves, I wouldn't have their computer long enough to wait for a response from here.)

Thanks again for your help.

Laz11

Laz11
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 27-October 11

@MagicAndre

yes, the 10s are the idle detection. Nice to see that you're interested in this topic and try to help other users :)

@Laz11

after you did what SonofNun told you run the optimization from the first topic. Your ReadyBoot Cache is broken. This causes the terrible performance.

Thank you for your help as well. Now I am just trying to figure it out how SonofNun could read out the Roxio, facebook updater, etc..from the files. Where can i find these information?

Thanks,
Laz

Laz11

Laz11
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 27-October 11

@MagicAndre

@Laz11

I did the hotfixes and then i used this command: xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot
Everything went well until the 6th restart.
Error Message on the pop up window 1: Stopping trace...
Error Message on the pop up window 2:
"Gave up waiting for Win7RTM physical prefetcher after 300 seconds.
Could not wait for prefetcher.
Couldn't find kernel logger in active logger list.
Couldn't find user-mode logger in active logger list."

My laptop is booting now faster than before anyway but still......

Thanks,
Laz

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

read the older topics. some users fixed it by setting a fixed pagefile size, some by changing some registry values.
Posted Image

varkanoid

varkanoid
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-October 11
Hi

I have used the tutorial on post 1 to do a trace of my shutdown and produce a XML file (attached). It takes about 5-10 minutes for the PC to shut down. Its a Toshiba C660 Laptop which is fairly new.
Frrom what I can see the delay is in ENDSHELL, GPCLIENT and PROFSVC.

Not entirely sure but I think the main cause is PROFSVC which is the user profile service but I am a bit stuck.

Can anyone advise further ?

thanks

Attached Files

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

looks like you have notepad open and this takes 5min to close. Also the gpscript.exe hangs. Which group policies do you apply?
Posted Image

varkanoid

varkanoid
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-October 11

looks like you have notepad open and this takes 5min to close. Also the gpscript.exe hangs. Which group policies do you apply?

something strange just checked task manager and three notepad.exe running but only in processes, not opened notepad.exe today.

there is a logoff GP but I dont seem to be in it.

jongalloway

jongalloway
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 03-November 11
Can someone look at these HIBERNATE+RESUME logs? https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=8709d7dd459c3276&resid=8709D7DD459C3276!582

Windows 7 x64 Thinkpad W520 - 16GB RAM - SSD

Resume is taking a long time. From an uneducated look at the xperf output, I'm suspecting video drivers.

Thanks for such a great tutorial!

- Jon

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Hi Jon,

Reading the data from the hibernation file takes 86 seconds and writing the data takes 116 seconds. Do you run the Intel X25-M 160GB in AHCI or IDE mode?
Posted Image

jongalloway

jongalloway
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 03-November 11
@MagicAndre - Thanks! I'm not certain, but it looks like I was in ATA mode. I installed the latest AHCI drivers and times are down to 37 second read / 87 write. Does that sound about as good as it's going to get? I'm happy with it, but uploaded logs to https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=8709d7dd459c3276&resid=8709D7DD459C3276!582 in case you'd like to look.

Thanks again! I love using Hibernate, this will really help!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

this is still too long. Do you use the latest firmware for your Intel SSD?
Posted Image

jongalloway

jongalloway
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 03-November 11
I checked, Intel SSD tools says it's got the latest firmware (2CV102M3) and Crystal Disk Info shows the disk's in good health. I've also reduced the hibernation file size to 50% (8GB) - maybe hibernation with this much RAM (16GB) is trouble?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

The user BKeadle also has the slow hibernation read/write issue with a SSD in a laptop. Because I don't use a SSD I have no experience. Do you have other performance issues? Maybe the alignment of the SSD is wrong and causes the slowness.
Posted Image

kwapster

kwapster
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 02-June 11
bootDoneViaPostBoot="37328" bootDoneViaExplorer="16528">

16.5 seconds to get to desktop..27 seconds full boot
BAM! :lol:

Edited by kwapster, 05 November 2011 - 07:57 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Good values. Check the 10s interval. Go to the process lifetime graph, select the interval and look at the summary table to see which programs are started. Now look if you need all of them.
Posted Image

kwapster

kwapster
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 02-June 11
yes not bad for a non ssd setup..i have a i7 processor but its downclocked to 1.2 all the time.

In the summary table..are the values for the duration in Milliseconds?

Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,060 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

drag the starttime column to the left side before "Process" to sort the view by starttime.
Posted Image

gotthimself

gotthimself

• 18 posts
  • Joined 15-November 11
Hi,

my WIndows 7 takes forever to boot, so I found this howto. The boot trace says that fltmgr.sys delays the start about 50s.

Posted Image

I searched for hours, but couldn't find anything related to my problem. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slow, Boot, bootvis, performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users