Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

slow Boot bootvis performance

• Please log in to reply
1198 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

look like the USb 3.0 controller is the cause:

Attached File  USB_30.png   36.98KB   15 downloads

Attached File  USB_30_name.png   12.86KB   11 downloads

Which device have you connected to this USb3.0 controller?

Also, run WinSAT to calculate the Experience Index so that Superfetch is stopped. Currently the service runs which is not recommend for SSD drives.
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

leof

leof
  • 8 posts
I don't have any USB 3.0 device connected to any USB 3.0 port.
I ran WinSAT, but I already had the Superfetch service disabled.
I will test booting and resuming time again.
AutoLogon did not make any difference.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

sorry, this was the reply to Victor (vicbyrd), not for you :blushing:
Posted Image

vicbyrd

vicbyrd

• 10 posts
Magic,

I don't have any devices connected to the USB 3 ports but I will disable them (in BIOS) and see if that helps.
Thanks for the tip on running WEI - will do.

I'll report back in a few,
Victor

vicbyrd

vicbyrd

• 10 posts
Magic,

Worked a treat! Disabled USB3.0 in BIOS and disabled ASMedia SUB 3.0 devices (both ports) in Device Manager. Reduced boot time to about 15 seconds.

BTW, in your previous reply, what table did you snapshot to show the offending drivers? I was not offered that view in xperfview.

Thanks - you 'da man,
Victor

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

Worked a treat! Disabled USB3.0 in BIOS and disabled ASMedia SUB 3.0 devices (both ports) in Device Manager. Reduced boot time to about 15 seconds.

:thumbup You should also send this to Microsoft. Go to connect.microsoft.com, join the IE10 feedback, download the Feedback tool and install it on Windows 8 and tell MS the issue and send them the xbootmgr trace file.

BTW, in your previous reply, what table did you snapshot to show the offending drivers? I was not offered that view in xperfview.

look at the "boot phases" graph and you see that SMSSInit/Session Int takes some time.

Attached File  xbootmgr_boot_phase.png   18.74KB   17 downloads

In my first post I wrote that Windows loads all not boot relevant drivers and starts all not boot relevant devices. So make selection in the bootgraph that covers the delay, right click and select "clone selection". Go to the "Generic events" graph and make a rightclick in the highlighted area and make a rightclick and select "Summary table". Now expand the "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" and under "DeviceStart" you can see that gap in the Time:

Attached File  USB_30.png   36.98KB   14 downloads

To see which device it was, I opened the "System Configuration" under "Traces" and look in the PnP table and found which devices use those IDs:

Attached File  USB_30_name.png   12.86KB   8 downloads

This was all I did. Took my 5 minutes

@leof

have you made a new trace?
Posted Image

leof

leof
  • 8 posts

@leof

have you made a new trace?

Why should I? Nothing has changed.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

make a reboot trace, replace boot with rebootCycle in the command line and look at the difference. Maybe it is an network issue which causes the logon delay.
Posted Image

leof

leof
  • 8 posts
Hi Andre,
Discovered something: when I typed my password while the screen was black, nothing happened at first. But when finally my monitor lit up, the desktop was displayed in stead of the logon screen!
First thing I now did was replace the monitor cable. But maybe it's a monitor problem. I have a spare one so I will go on to experiment.
I will keep you informed how this develops. In the mean time I thank you for your attention!
Leo

vicbyrd

vicbyrd

• 10 posts
Andre,

Thanks for the explanation of how you displayed the offending device on my machine. I've run thru the steps and now feel confident that I could troubleshoot a bad driver in the future. My machine has run flawlessly all weekend. Based on the # of reboots that one normally goes thru during a new OS install I'm guessing you saved me about 24 hours.

Thanks for all your help,
Victor

:thumbup

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

Thanks for all your help,
Victor

:thumbup

You're welcome.
Posted Image

smmehta

smmehta

• 12 posts
Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 Proessor
It has 8 GB of main memory and a 512 GB SSD Drive from Crucual (M4 Drive)
Running Windows7 Enterprose Edition 64 bit.

Hibernate resume take almost 2 minutes. I typicylly run 2 session of FireFox, One session of Internet Exploree and Google Chrome., Thunderbird and Trillian (IM Tool)

Systems works great and hard driver performance is great as expected from a SSD drive.

Only issue is when I resume from Hibernate, it takes 2 minutes. I am not able to put my finfer on the issue.

I ran xbootmgr -trace hibernate -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP and has an output

I can see that drivers takes almost 2000 ms in loading initial drivers it points to ntfs.sys and few more.

Can someone help me analyze the file and recommend on ehat drivers I may have to update if this problem is related a driver.

I have uploaded the at this location - File for Analysis

Else. you can point me a direction once you review the output.

See the attached file and Thanks a lot in Advance.

Regards,
Sam.

Edited by smmehta, 20 March 2012 - 06:29 AM.

leof

leof
  • 8 posts
Hi Andre,
My monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 172x) has two inputs: digital (DVI) and analog (VGA). I always had it connected through the digital input. Because of the startup delays I now have it connected through the analog input. So far it seems to have solved the problem but I will test this some more days. I will let you know the results.
If this happen to be the definite solution, I wonder why.
Leo

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

which attached file?

My monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 172x) has two inputs: digital (DVI) and analog (VGA). I always had it connected through the digital input. Because of the startup delays I now have it connected through the analog input. So far it seems to have solved the problem

ok, nice find. I hope this is the fix :thumbup
Posted Image

Yogurt

Yogurt
  • 5 posts
Hi Andre,

First of all, thanks for your superb original post. Basically I have hibernation problems, it often takes minutes - I turn off the lights, I walk to my bed, lay down, etc. and the laptop is still working. Windows Event log shows times of 100..180 or even 300 seconds. I have recorded trace logs of only 45 sec hibernate and 45 sec resume though.
Checking the logs I don't see any hogging applications or drivers. What makes me wonder is disk I/O. First of all, there are more I/O reads during a hibernation than writes. Does it make any sense? And on resume, there is a significant amount of writes during reading back the data. The Disk Usage graph says my SSD system drive works at 100% during both hibernation and resume. However, the disk activity LED is far from showing complete utilisation (compared to file copying, for example): it only flashes.

Once I managed to get a 15 sec hibernation and 30 sec resume on this same machine, with the same amount of running applications - in this case with no I/O reads during hibernate and almost no writes during resume, and with very low disk utilization during hibernate.

Me too have a Dell laptop, Precision M4600, i7-2720QM, 8 GB RAM (usually 2.5 ... 3.5 GB used), mSATA SSD system disk, Windows 7 x64. No external display, but having external USB keyboard and mouse.

Do you have any suggestions what else could I check or how could I send you the huge logs?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

try this update:

http://support.micro...b/2541014/en-us

maybe it helps.
Posted Image

leof

leof
  • 8 posts

ok, nice find. I hope this is the fix :thumbup

This definitely is the solution. Thanks a lot for your help Andre.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

This definitely is the solution. Thanks a lot for your help Andre.

You're welcome :thumbup
Posted Image

smmehta

smmehta

• 12 posts
Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 Proessor
It has 8 GB of main memory and a 512 GB SSD Drive from Crucual (M4 Drive)
Running Windows7 Enterprose Edition 64 bit.
Laptop works great and SSD drive rocks except when I resume from Hibernate.

Hibernate resume take almost 2 minutes. I typicylly run 2 session of FireFox, One session of Internet Exploree and Google Chrome., Thunderbird and Trillian (IM Tool)

Systems works great and hard driver performance is great as expected from a SSD drive.

Only issue is when I resume from Hibernate, it takes 3 minutes. I am not able to put my finger on the issue.

I ran xbootmgr -trace hibernate -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP and has an output

I can see that drivers takes almost 2000 ms in loading initial drivers it points to ntfs.sys and few more.

Can someone help me analyze the file and recommend on ehat drivers I may have to update if this problem is related a driver.

I have uploaded the at this location - File for Analysts

Else. you can point me a direction once you review the output.

Regards,
Sam.

Edited by smmehta, 20 March 2012 - 06:32 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

reading and writing the hibernation file is also terrible slow for you.

<scenario start="149774" duration="187286810" suspend="5205000" resumecritical="275147" hiberwrite="50337000" hiberpageswritten="287449" hiberread="84908000" resume="569000">

Also try this update:

http://support.micro...b/2541014/en-us

Does it make a difference?
Posted Image

smmehta

smmehta

• 12 posts
Thanks for your reply MagicAndre1981. I have already applied the patch and does not make any difference.

Boot process is with in 10 seconds but Hibernate/resume is almost 3 minutes.

I have another laptop Dell Latitude D630 with a smaller SSD and I have no issues with that. Looks like some driver issue?

Did you get a chance to review the files I posted?

Regards,
Sam

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

I dumped the trace into a XML file and saw that reading and writing is slow.

Do you really run the SSD in IDE mode?

IDE\DISKM4-CT512M4SSD2__________________________0309____\4&2C160AA7&1&0.0.0

try AHCI.
Posted Image

smmehta

smmehta

• 12 posts
Andre,

I am using in AHCI more. I also installed AHCI driver and a Rapid Storage Driver but do not see any improvements.

Thanks,
Sam.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

do you use the Intel or Microsoft AHCI drivers?
Posted Image

smmehta

smmehta

• 12 posts
Intel Driver.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slow, Boot, bootvis, performance

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN