Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

slow Boot bootvis performance

• Please log in to reply
1164 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

Thanks for the quick reply!
I found that link shortly after posting the trace, and did the optimization, I did it again for good measure. Here is the new trace, it does not look as though much has improved.

but it is!

I can now see, that you have 2 hanging services:

AudiEndpointMapper and TermService.

So update the Via sound drivers, please.

Next, the automatisc startup all the applications causes the slowdown. The trace was not able to capture all data, so remove all unneeded startup tools. use AutoRuns to disable them.

André

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Prodeje79

Prodeje79

• Members
  • 12 posts

Removed AVG. This trace was without any AV installed. I then installed the Microsoft product you recommended.
The trace without any AV still had the same issue of taking 30 minutes to boot. So perhaps my thoughts on the 30-15 min hibernation is wrong. Or my niece/nephew moved the mouse about 14 minutes into it. It is just a black screen with the white mouse than can move around.
This seems directly linked to hibernation as it works immediately after hibernating and back on?

http://cid-5f415a3ae...asPC/trace3.rar
same password as before.
Thanks!!

The ssdpsrv.dll (SSDP Service ) now uses most of your CPU time and causes a delay and a huge HDD IO activity in the WinLogOnInit Phase. Do you use devices which depends on SSDP or UPnP?

Hmmm I am not familiar with it. http://en.wikipedia....covery_Protocol
Just used for internet really. They do have a Sansa CLip mp3 player, same on I use on my home pc with identical OS.
Also they just got a ipod nano last weekend.
It is a newer western digital blue drive 640GB...
What should I try next?
The PC boots fine in safe mode.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

temporarily disable SSDP and UPnP and check if everything works fie

mikhot

mikhot
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I'm having problems with hibernate, resuming from it is sloooow. After I wake the computer up to resume, it gives the message that Windows is resuming, after that I get a blinking dos-cursor, which stays on for a couple of minutes, during of which the pc does nothing. After that it resumes back to windows desktop. I've got the newest graphics, chipset, soundcard and bios drivers. The mobo is ASRock M3A790GXH/128M. I traced the procedure according to your instructions and here's the file if you've got the time to take a peek :)

http://rapidshare.co...ERS_POWER_1.rar

Password via pm. Thanks!

E: Couldn't send you any pm, just got a message telling you can't receive any more. Any other way to send you the password, email perhaps?

Edited by mikhot, 11 August 2010 - 01:52 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

I deleted 1 conversation. Now you can send it

mikhot

mikhot
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Alright, PM sent.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

Ok, the cause is the resume of the devices:

- <device start="714224072" duration="118183136" name="ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0">
  <driver start="714224076" duration="118183128" name="\Driver\ACPI" /> 
  <driver start="832407205" duration="1" name="\Driver\ACPI_HAL" /> 
  </device>

in your case the ACPI device. Have you install the latest ATI/AMD drivers for your mainboard?

mikhot

mikhot
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I recently installed the newest northbridge driver from ASRock's website. Tried to browse AMD's site for chipset drivers but it seems it's best to use the ones from the manufacturer. idk..probably an updated acpi driver could solve the problem.

mikhot

mikhot
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Just to make sure, is the xbootmgr -trace hibernate -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP -command supposed to hibernate AND reboot the computer by itself? Because that's the way I understood it. I let it be for 30 mins or so and when it hadn't woken up by then, I turned it on myself. The resuming from hibernate to desktop then took about 3-4 mins.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

yes, the tool wakes up the again. Which ASRock board do you have?

mikhot

mikhot
  • Members
  • 5 posts
I have the ASRock M3A790GXH/128M.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

are you using the latest BIOS? Write a mail to the support if you have the latest BIOS version

Kraxxis1

Kraxxis1
  • Members
  • 2 posts
I've recently reinstalled Windows 7 and it's taking a long time to shutdown.
I've ran a trace and here is where the file is available and the file passworld is
My link
It someone could look at this I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks. Charlie

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

I can't extract the trace file. Is the password correct? upload it again without password

Kraxxis1

Kraxxis1
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Sorry about that. The password is 1334.

thanks.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

Hi, you have the same issue like the user supjack.

<interval name="ZeroHiberFile" startTime="17352" endTime="140686" duration="123333" />

I don't know why Windows overrides the hibernation file with 0. This takes some time (123 seconds) for your 4GB hibernation file.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

Hi Kraxxis1,

you should contact the Microsoft Support about this issue. This looks like a bug.

supjack

supjack

• Members
  • 11 posts
I'll be calling and paying for MS support to look this into today. One thing I did notice about this is that the issue creeps up after adding the PC to the domain. However once you add the PC to the domain MS will not help resolve anything without agreeing to pay a per incident fee or having an business support contract, free installation support is available for the OS as long as the OS has not been setup as a member of a domain.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

ok, can you post the result of the investigations here? I would also like to know the cause of it.

supjack

supjack

• Members
  • 11 posts
Will do, am filling out the request for MS support web form on the support.microsoft.com now.

supjack

supjack

• Members
  • 11 posts
MS paid support will not help fix until we upgrade the domain controller. They went through everything I did all over again to confirm that the issue is after adding the PC to the domain. Its not third party software or user tweaks after the install. Something with the add of the PC to the domain makes a change in the PC so that it now looks for a hybernation.sys file which does not exist so it just sits and spins. The over all feeling that I got as a result of the time spent with MS support was that once they had a BAILOUT they took it. I my gut tells me that an upper level tech more or less told the person I was working directly with that its a $$ loser support call due to the need to get deeper into things and to just dump it and move on over to another support request in the queue.........being that Win 2000 is no longer supported thats the BAILOUT. I doubt its an issue with Win 2000 because we have a couple of physical and virtual Win 7's working on the domain.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

so you use a Win2000 DC and included Windows 7 in it?

supjack

supjack

• Members
  • 11 posts
Yes for now we have a Win 2000 domain. We have a couple of Win 7 boxes running without this problem. Trying to move to Win 2008 SBS but we have issues with the changes MS made with how things work with Unix. Were not using a sophisticated file sharing setup here, or a sophisticated active directory. It used to be that we could just use simple mapping via the services for Unix application to allow a couple of accounts on the Unix system to put files out on the shared drives. MS has changed things in that it now requires a more detailed and in depth server configuration and network setup to play nice with Unix. I'm going to try and just muck with the system on my own today to see if I can figure out why after adding to the domain that the system changes with regards to hibernation. I'm thinking that I may use a sysinternals utility to watch what gets changed on the machine when added to the domain. I have confirmed that I can remove it from the domain and the shut down issue goes away, and then comes back again after again adding it.

Edited by supjack, 23 August 2010 - 06:57 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,766 posts

Donator

ok, the boot trace includes the Domain Info, the shutdown trace not. So I was not able to see this.

Prodeje79

Prodeje79

• Members
  • 12 posts

temporarily disable SSDP and UPnP and check if everything works fie

ok trace4, same password.
disabling didn't seem to make it any faster nor take away the issue. :(
http://cid-5f415a3ae...asPC/Trace4.rar

Basically the PC has to fall asleep after a full restart, then it starts working OK.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slow, Boot, bootvis, performance

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN