Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

slow Boot bootvis performance

• Please log in to reply
1210 replies to this topic

harakiro

harakiro
  • 3 posts

Drivers do not exist from my HDD. It is a SATA Momentus XT ST750LX003 750 Gb.  

I do however have installed Intel Rapid storage drivers, and have updated this to the latest version.

I have Write-caching enabled on the drive.

But I'm still not seeing any improvement. =(

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

I have no idea how to fix this. is this an OEM PC? if yes, phone their support.

Posted Image

Magoo

Magoo
  • 1 posts

Seem to be having a slow boot problem with my machine.

Here is my .etl and .xml file in a .rar file:

http://rapidshare.co...6BC90470B5F800D

or

http://www.mediafire...rpau3hdtddwh1f1

If you could please have a look, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Magoo

Edited by Magoo, 06 October 2013 - 08:23 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

slow boot? Your Windows boots in 10s to the desktop and is fully booted in 11s:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="10486" bootDoneViaPostBoot="21086" postBootDisturbance="600"

Your Samsung SSD 840 PRO does a very good job.

Posted Image

ScottyDoesKnow

ScottyDoesKnow
  • 3 posts

I'll start by saying thanks so much for this tutorial. Really easy to follow.

I'm a bit stuck now though. My issue is in the "Please wait" part of the bootup (logon screen background is up but you can't logon yet), it takes about 50 seconds on a brand new laptop with SSD. I may be crazy but I was sure it was booting up lightning fast yesterday before I installed some applications. But system restoring to before those applications didn't do anything.

Anyways, it seems that all the time is taken up in the Winlogon Init, but pulling up the services graphs shows long periods of nothing happening:

http://i.imgur.com/npG2uRD.png

What should my next step be to track this down? If it helps, I am on a domain managed computer (work laptop, has a bunch of locked settings set by the domain) but not connected to the domain (and won't be 99% of the time).

Edit: some other information I've found from the windows event viewer is that "BootMachineProfileProcessingTime" is taking 53113ms. Currently investigating this.

Edit2: It seems that the profile processing time includes all device drivers and such, so that tells me much less than this boot tracing.

Edited by ScottyDoesKnow, 10 October 2013 - 10:27 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

ok, Winlogoninit is slow. Open the generic graph and look under Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon for Task Name with a long Time during the Opcode Start and Stop.

Here is an example where RequestCredentials (entering the password) takes too long:

winlogonInit_delay_example.png

Posted Image

ScottyDoesKnow

ScottyDoesKnow
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I've edited this post about 20 times and here's where we're at. This is the original screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/1KT7mbH.png

It looks like there's just magical missing time from 6 - 60 seconds.

I edited because I thought I found something else, but in the end I think I just did a sort at some point and screwed it up:

http://i.imgur.com/Xvz0Ysf.png

Update: I've been looking into some warnings that GPClient is taking a long time. Going from there I found that GroupPolicy startup scripts are taking 59 seconds. Running gpedit.msc I can't find any startup scripts. So still stumped.

Update again: gpscript.exe is running for around 36 seconds of it. As far as I can tell there are no scripts on the local computer or on the server, though I can only connect to the server through VPN so it may be a case of it trying to contact the server for scripts and failing.

Edited by ScottyDoesKnow, 10 October 2013 - 04:54 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

zip and uplaod the ETL file, I'll take a look at it.

Posted Image

ScottyDoesKnow

ScottyDoesKnow
  • 3 posts

Here you go: https://db.tt/cBsfOIUU

Thanks for taking the time. Unfortunately I think I may have gone as far as I can with the boot stuff. It seems to be centered around group policies from the server (which I am almost never connected to). I've traced it as far as gpclient and gpscript, and searching those reveals a host of different problems that are all slightly different from mine. My current suspicion is that the delay is just it trying to connect to the server, but I don't know how (or if it's possible) to reduce the timeout on that.

Edit: I'm no longer so sure I know what the problem is. It seems that windows 7 has a feature (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293) to prevent this from happening. It grabs the group policy stuff asynchronously and swaps over when it finally connects. I also tried forcing the policy to disabled to make sure, but no luck. So I'm back to being clueless.

Edited by ScottyDoesKnow, 11 October 2013 - 03:24 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

Yes, the trace shows the GP client/gpscript as cause:

- <groupPolicy>
  <process name="gpscript.exe" pid="4768" startTime="25673" endTime="60349" duration="34676" localLowPriCPUTime="0" localRegPriCPUTime="55" localLowPriDiskBytes="0" localRegPriDiskBytes="838144" /> 
  <process name="gpscript.exe" pid="4292" startTime="66468" endTime="66525" duration="57" localLowPriCPUTime="0" localRegPriCPUTime="23" localLowPriDiskBytes="0" localRegPriDiskBytes="1054720" /> 
  </groupPolicy>

I have no experience with GP so I can't help.

Posted Image

Wario567

Wario567
  • 3 posts

Hello, Andre, I just want to say I've read almost this whole thread and you sir, are an absolutely amazing individual.

I would be eternally grateful if you would take a look at my boot times and help me figure out what is taking so long. I followed this guide and ran the optimization and I did notice a significant improvement in boot times but I fear there may still be some issues. 

Here is a link to my boot trace.

Thank you

Edited by Wario567, 22 October 2013 - 01:06 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

in your case the PreSMSS is slow:

+ <interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="65805" duration="65805">

When you look at the bootStart etry in the XML you see that starting your WD drive is slow with 61s:

- <phase name="bootStart" startTime="40" endTime="62878" duration="62838">
  <pnpObject name="IDE\DiskWDC_WD10EADS-65M2BX_____________________01.00A01\5+333ee88f+0+1.0.0" type="Device" activity="Start" startTime="543" endTime="61785" duration="61242" prePendTime="61242" description="Disk drive" friendlyName="WDC WD10EADS-65M2BX ATA Device" /> 

try a different SATA port/cable and see if this fixes it.

Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,228 posts

If I may, instead of calling WDC_WD10EADS a "Caviar green" they would call them "slow molasses" the name would be appropriate, however there is a record for these "family" of drives to start becoming not responsive at boot time.

I would thus additionally check the drive with the Western Digital test tools as the symptom may be connected to an actual drive issue.

jaclaz

Wario567

Wario567
  • 3 posts

I tried using a brand new sata cable on two different ports and I fear the boot times remain largely unchanged

I'm running a WD extended diagnostic test, will post when it finishes.

Thankyou both for the quick responses!

Wario567

Wario567
  • 3 posts

Tested the drive with WD and the drive passed... after 6 hours of checking

A significant improvement in boot time after installing some more windows updates (including some in the optional tab which I did not notice) This appears to have fixed my issue, here is a link to a fresh trace after rerunning the optimizer, everything look okay to you guys?

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

Your issue is fixed. Boot is fast:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="22986" bootDoneViaPostBoot="39586" osLoaderDuration="2361" postBootDisturbance="6600"

23s to the desktop and 30s to be fully booted. This is fine

Posted Image

ordimans

ordimans
  • 2 posts

Hello

I just installed Win 8.1 x64 on my computer.
Sabertooth x79 + 3930k + Samsung SSD 500Go (and SSD Intel 160GB)

Both sata are connected on SATA GBPS (brown sata)

Link of my boot :

http://pastebin.com/2kXHSVeU

THe PreSMSS time is very long.
What can i do ? Unplug Hard Disk to check the difference ? and ?
Every HDD are on Intel Chipset, nothing are connected on Marvell Chipset.

My system are installed in UEFI.

But if i format HDD in GPT, does it change anything ?

Edited by ordimans, 23 October 2013 - 04:07 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

disable the Marvel completely and try to connect the Samsung 840 Evo SSD to different ports. You also use a lot of older Samsung HDDs (HD204UI, HD154UI). Try to remove them and look if this makes a difference.Those green drives are really slow and may cause it.

Posted Image

Bentree

Bentree
  • 8 posts

Hello there, awesome guide. 

Sadly i have a problem with making the html file of the Boot log.

When i enter the generate html command into cmd i get the following error message. (note: please ignore the first error in the pic as i mistyped the command)cmd%20error.JPG

So how do i go about increasing the buffer size and the log size? I had a poke around in "xperf -help start" but everything i tried just spat out failure messages.

Many, many thanks in advance,

Bentree.

ordimans

ordimans
  • 2 posts

disable the Marvel completely and try to connect the Samsung 840 Evo SSD to different ports. You also use a lot of older Samsung HDDs (HD204UI, HD154UI). Try to remove them and look if this makes a difference.Those green drives are really slow and may cause it.

I did.
I unplug all HDDs, and disable Marvell, ASmed chipset, everything i could.

Now i have this :

http://pastebin.com/Zs4AJdBi

What do you think ?

Edited by ordimans, 26 October 2013 - 08:07 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

So how do i go about increasing the buffer size and the log size? I had a poke around in "xperf -help start" but everything i tried just spat out failure messages.

I never figured this out. Open the ETL file directly in the viewer. It has a graph with the boot phases. Here you can see how long which phase takes.

Now i have this :

http://pastebin.com/Zs4AJdBi

What do you think ?

boot is very fast now (9s):

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="9359" bootDoneViaPostBoot="19259" 

Posted Image

Bentree

Bentree
  • 8 posts

I never figured this out. Open the ETL file directly in the viewer. It has a graph with the boot phases. Here you can see how long which phase takes. 

OK, thanks will give that a shot. is it usual for the etl file to be half a gig or so in size?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

yes, if boot is very slow and a lot of data are written into the file.

Posted Image

Bentree

Bentree
  • 8 posts

MagicAndre: ok i opened the etl file, i was warned that 4807 events were lost. any way it opened up and i was greeted with about 40 different colored lines of various lengths. long story short i couldn't make head nor tale of the info. so i would very much appreciate it if you could look at the file for me. the link for the etl file is here https://dl.dropboxus...TCH+POWER_1.etl

I apologize for the size. i didn't change size when i tried to zip it. 

Many Thanks, Ben.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

the HDD is busy all the time. You should stop all tools that you don't need to reduce the disk activity pressure.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slow, Boot, bootvis, performance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN