How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Andre,

Thanks for sharing this helpful guide and for you work!

This method reduced of about 30 seconds my boot time, but it's still a bit high (more or less 2.30 minutes).

I've completed a boot trace and I would be very grateful if you could have a look at it. ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sgt4pxuqce971gx

(I run it twice, the first time with drivers and I get the bugcheck, the second time without drivers).

Note:

1) I had to enable the auto logon creating the registry string, but even before it was pretty slow.

2) the entire HD is protected by TrueCrypt

Hi I used to be able to run this but now I get the "gave up waiting for virtual prefetcher after 300 seconds" message after the first boot. I managed to get all 6 reboots by changing the SysMain reg key start value to 0 but have now learnt that by doing that it just basically runs through the boots but is a waste of time because it doesn't do anything after you change it.

Does anyone think they can help?

Group Policies and loading the user profile is extremely slow for you. This causes long delays.

attachicon.gifboot.png

Thanks for your reply!

Is there anything I can do here? (As you have already understood it's a company lapotop).

have now learnt that by doing that it just basically runs through the boots but is a waste of time because it doesn't do anything after you change it.

After the 2nd run you should get a message that the system is optimized. At this point the defrag.exe runs ans optimizes the boot.

Is there anything I can do here? (As you have already understood it's a company lapotop).

contact the IT admin and ask him which GPOs they apply and he should try to optimize (run them asynchronously if possible, don't use logon scripts) them.

have now learnt that by doing that it just basically runs through the boots but is a waste of time because it doesn't do anything after you change it.

After the 2nd run you should get a message that the system is optimized. At this point the defrag.exe runs ans optimizes the boot.

contact the IT admin and ask him which GPOs they apply and he should try to optimize (run them asynchronously if possible, don't use logon scripts) them.

Hi well it doesn't say that for me and if I change the Sysmain start value back to the default I cant get past the first reboot it tells me it gave up waiting for prefetcher. Could there be something more that needs to be turned on? I have even tried this http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/283057-solution-gave-up-waiting-win7rtm-physical-prefetcher-problem.html but it doesn't seem to fix it. Its also where I found that changing Sysmain start value is pointless.

Hi Andre,

I followed your guide but I cannot see anything in the summary XML file pointing me to the slow WinlogonInit duration.

It is over 5 minutes before the Desktop will appear.

Here is a link to the boot trace if anyone can help me out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/927metgg34jdefd/temp2.zip

The computer is part of a domain but it does not look like the group policy is the problem and I have already removed all networked drives.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Hi well it doesn't say that for me and if I change the Sysmain start value back to the default I cant get past the first reboot it tells me it gave up waiting for prefetcher. Could there be something more that needs to be turned on? I have even tried this http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/283057-solution-gave-up-waiting-win7rtm-physical-prefetcher-problem.html but it doesn't seem to fix it. Its also where I found that changing Sysmain start value is pointless.

yes with Superfetch disabled you get the "gave up" message. Have you also disabled the defrag tool from Windows?

HI Enableprefetcher and EnableSuperprefetcher are both set to 3 EnablebootTrace is set to 0 though I don't know if that is right. Also how can I find out if the windows defrag is disabled?

I went into services and disk defragmenter was set to manual but had not been started I had to right click and click start to turn it on. should it be set to manual or automatic?