How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

This, along with setting the amount of cores used at boot in msconfig->boot->advanced options from the default 1 to 8 on my hp envy 14 has halved my boot up time to just under a minute :)

only xbootmgr did it, Windows ALWAYS uses all cores.

http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/08/09/tweaking-myth-increase-boot-performance-for-multi-core-users-with-msconfig/

@Marian

run sfc /Scannow to detect and fix missing Windows files.

@MagicAndre1981: did that and it didn't help. But I did find a problem: the ImagePath of SysMain was incorrect, so I fixed that and I am not getting the "Error 2" error, but I am getting another error:

post-325794-0-44685700-1309785214_thumb.

Any thoughts on this?

I have installed all the updated for Windows 7 SP1 and Superfetch started to work again.

Then I tried to speed up the boot process, but an error occurred at the last step (I think), then I followed the steps presented here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/wptk_v4/thread/447f8512-9a33-43bd-a1cf-f0ca25b4b33a and the process worked fine! :) But bootDoneViaPostBoot shows -1 on both xml files.

[OT]you don't help if you post things twice if they are already fixed. So please read the older posts, too. I'm getting email notfications for all replies. So if you post over and over agaon things which are already solved I get a lot of useless notifications[/OT]

• 1 month later...

Hi Andre,

I have eliminated as much as I could from startup, first using autoruns.

Then I ran the comand as suggested in your first post which appeared to run fine, and reduced my boot time from 3.5 minutes to 2 ( according to soluto)

But when I run the command to generate the second xml file I get following warning, and the xml file is empty

xperf: warning: applying restriction of access for trace processing 7931 Events were lost in this trace. Data may be unreliable.....

Some potential issues,

1] The readyboost services doesnt appear in services list (services.exe)

although it does appear in the registry and its start command is set to 0

2] OS shows as win7RTM in the xbootmgr.log although it is actually win7 with sp1 (home premium x64, acer oem)

3] This is the only other susipcious line in the log (I think)

Failed to save prefetcher data (C:\Windows\prefetch\layout.ini) in cab archive (stage 1, error 0)

I carried the whole procedure 3 times and the result is the same everytime, any ideas to what the problem maybe?

Regards,

V

Edit:

The warning suggests increasing the MinBuffers, MaxBuffers and BufferSize for xperf, I tried this but I still get the warning

Edited by volting

I had the first hotfix installed already, installed the second.. and I ran the sfc / scannow which didnt find any problems

I ran the trace for two reboots and checked the first etl file, which gave the same error as before (when trying to generate the second xml file ) upon opening.

Edited by volting

I check all the graphs but I dont see any mention of what applications are accessing the hdd.

etldiskio.png

edit: Nevermind I see that you can right click the graph for more info, Ill check now...

Edited by volting