How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

i think he quotting it from other source,..

i decided to pm sarf2k4(the one who post it)

this how the reply goes..

Hi,

kindly refer to this blog post of mine about WPT,

http://sarf2k4.blogspot.com/2011/02/windows-performance-toolkit-wpt.html

My laptop has been very slow at booting lately and running WPT won't do any good as well, this problem mainly lies on windows update I believe, but I didn't say that u should stop windows update, maybe there's something going on with the original win7 home premium bundled with this machine.

I've verified about the changing registry in for the wpt to work, but i've confirmed that it's a fake wpt optimization, usually, after u format the pc or installed a full windows update after the format, u would run the wpt, but as the time goes by, the wpt stopped working, even for me and i dont think there's a solution to make the wpt optimizes ur laptop even with the registry fixes

hope this information helps

he said about try to defrag 1~2 times bfore doing the boot trace in the blog...

Edited by eki91

Hi,

Im wondering if anyone would be able to help me out?

Ive been following the guide at:

I run this code, and let it finish.

xbootmgr -trace standby -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

I then run this code to create a summary.xml file

xperf /tti -i standby_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl -o summary_sleep.xml -a suspend

which always results in this error message and an empty .xml file

C:\Temp>xperf /tti -i standby_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl -o summary_sleep.
xml -a suspend
xperf: warning: applying restriction of access for trace processing
33288636 Events were lost in this trace. Data may be unreliable
This is usually caused by insufficient disk bandwidth for ETW lo
gging.
Please try increasing the minimum and maximum number of buffers
and/or
the buffer size. Doubling these values would be a good first at
tempt.
Please note, though, that this action increases the amount of me
mory
reserved for ETW buffers, increasing memory pressure on your sce
nario.
See "xperf -help start" for the associated command line options.

C:\Temp>

I read somewhere you may need to increase the pagefile size, which I have done, increasing it from 2047 (Windows default) to 8192 - this made no difference. I also read that you need to turn UAC on (I had it off at first), but this also made no difference for me. I also read you may need to increase buffer sizes, but I dont know how to do this? I am running on a Crucial 64GB Real SSD, connected to SATA 6GB connection using AHCI.

A brief history:

I am trying to locate what is possibly causing my PC to be slower at sleep/startup than it should be. After a lot of faffing around and getting nowhere I have done a complete reinstall of windows 7 x86 Enterprise and just have the bare essential drivers installed - LAN, Audio, AHCI, ACPI and nVidia graphics card drivers (all the latest drivers). In this configuration, I timed my sleep/resume times (using a goold old fashioned stopwatch!) and found that my sleep times were averaging 12-15 seconds (Hybrid sleep) and my resume times were 5-7 seconds. This is what I am using as a benchmark for future tests.

Now I install my TV card (Blackgold BGT3595) and as soon as I install the drivers for this card (latest drivers from manufacturers website) I see a delay in my sleep/resume times. Sleep times are now 17-31 seconds and resume times are 12-21 seconds - a big difference in comparison to the times before these drivers where installed.

I would really like to have the summary .xml file for me to identify exactly where the problems lie, and also so I could use as evidence to provide to Blackgold incase it turns out it is deffinately related to thier drivers, then the information in the summary .xml file could be of use to them in determining where the problem lies, and hopefully coming up with a solution.

The .etl file that is generated is 779MB and would be too large (I think) to send to them so the summary.xml file is my best bet I think, but as I say above, I cannot create the summary .xml file for some reason.

I can open .etl file and view the contents, but I have no clue in what I am doing and how to interpret the information displayed to me.

I can provide a quick snapshot here of Driver Delays, does this look normal or wrong ?

etldriverdelays.png

Also, on a side note, I noticed in the power settings where you can define what the power buttons do, before I installed the TV Card drivers I had a "Power Button" option, but after installing the drivers I had a "Power Button" and "Sleep Button" options. I found this a little confusing I just thought I would mention in here for consistency.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Now I install my TV card (Blackgold BGT3595) and as soon as I install the drivers for this card (latest drivers from manufacturers website) I see a delay in my sleep/resume times. Sleep times are now 17-31 seconds and resume times are 12-21 seconds - a big difference in comparison to the times before these drivers where installed.

I think you should ask this the support of your TV card manufacture. The trace whould also only show the driver as cause. And this is what you already know.

You can try to disable the TV card most of the time and use devcon.exe to enable it via script when you need the TV card.

nop..still not working,.

ask cluberti if he has an idea.

I think you should ask this the support of your TV card manufacture. The trace whould also only show the driver as cause. And this is what you already know.

You can try to disable the TV card most of the time and use devcon.exe to enable it via script when you need the TV card.

It's been an ongoing thing for the last month or so, and BlackGold say they are not aware of any issues with the driver relating to sleep/resume functions. I was hoping I could analyze the .xml file to 100% confirm that it is the BlackGold drivers causing the issue and not say a conflict in drivers, for example my nVidia drivers may have an issue with the BlackGold TV Card installed or some other random events that are causing my problem. If I could identify a problem with my BlackGold drivers in the .xml file then I have some proof of my problem, and could send the .xml to BlackGold for them to look over and see what they make of it. But as I say, I cannot create the summary .xml file and do not understand why not, would anyone be able to advise me what I may be doing wrong ?

the xperf error should only occur if you have a slow HDD or not enough RAM. The normal xperf allows you to use a higher Buffer value, but xbootmgr doesn't support this :(

You can use ProcessMonitor, go to sleep and resume Windows. Now stop the ProcessMonitor log and filter for duration. Do you see the driver involved there?

the xperf error should only occur if you have a slow HDD or not enough RAM. The normal xperf allows you to use a higher Buffer value, but xbootmgr doesn't support this :(

You can use ProcessMonitor, go to sleep and resume Windows. Now stop the ProcessMonitor log and filter for duration. Do you see the driver involved there?

I only have 1x2GB of RAM installed (long story, but 2x2GB causes system instability! :( ), could this be a possible cause for the error I get?

Where can I find this ProcessMonitor, is it part of the SDK that I downloaded ?

Thanks for your help.

hi,MagicAndre1981 I would be so grateful if you would look at my xml file,I run the

xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot,after that i see no improvements on startup...

I can't figure out why my boot is so slow.

thanks in advance!

your boottime is ok:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="30078" bootDoneViaPostBoot="46978"

30s to the desktop and 36s to boot completely.

The AVG driver causes a 2s delay during boot:

<pnpObject name="Avgldx64" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="4959" endTime="7367" duration="2408" prePendTime="2408" />
<pnpObject name="\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\Avgldx64" type="unknown" activity="unknown" startTime="4963" endTime="7367" duration="2404" prePendTime="2404" />

Also the AVG services take 5s to start:

<serviceTransition name="avgfws" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="1107"
<serviceTransition name="avgwd" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="3705"

so try to update AVG.

your boottime is ok:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="30078" bootDoneViaPostBoot="46978"

30s to the desktop and 36s to boot completely.

The AVG driver causes a 2s delay during boot:

<pnpObject name="Avgldx64" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="4959" endTime="7367" duration="2408" prePendTime="2408" />
<pnpObject name="\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\Avgldx64" type="unknown" activity="unknown" startTime="4963" endTime="7367" duration="2404" prePendTime="2404" />

Also the AVG services take 5s to start:

<serviceTransition name="avgfws" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="1107"
<serviceTransition name="avgwd" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="3705"

so try to update AVG.

ok, thanks a lot !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andre,

I've been having major slow booting times for my computer. Windows 7 32-bit RTM. I cannot update to sp1 either because of the 80070005 error to which i have not found a solution for yet either. I was going to do a nuke wipe and reinstall the OS from the scratch up but I wanted to run this option first.

I ran sfc /scannow to fix abunch of corrupted files prior to the last trace. Superfetch is in regedit but not in services.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

EnableBootTrace 0

EnablePrefetcher 3

EnableSuperfetch 3

Weird that I can't find superfetch in services. I'll run another sfc /scannow

Also tried to install sp1 but a 0x80070057 error came out of it. Still no luck there.

UPDATE:

Ran another sfc /scannow. it said it found errors and it was going to fix upon reboot. After reboot, superfetch was still not found. Also disabled startup files and services for a clean boot. Superfetch still not found.

Edited by Kgarnet