How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

• 1 month later...

Sorry to high jack this thread: have boot problems after changing some option(disable system restore, indexing ...) .. The boot time when from 20sec to 80 sec. In the event log, the biggest difference is BootUserProfileProcessingTime. In the etl file I cannot see any service taking more time, but there is gap(60s) between two group of services. Any advice where I should look for the problem.

this is ok. I already downloaded the file.

Your delay is caused by 2 points:

1.) entering password takes 6 seconds:

post-70718-0-61876800-1335015809_thumb.p

but the larger delay (53s) is caused by restoring the mapped network connections:

post-70718-0-17413700-1335015846_thumb.p

So remove the network connections and use the net use command to map the connections on demand (net use X: \\server\share /persistent:No). /persistent:No is important to map them temporary only.

this is ok. I already downloaded the file.

Your delay is caused by 2 points:

1.) entering password takes 6 seconds:

post-70718-0-61876800-1335015809_thumb.p

but the larger delay (53s) is caused by restoring the mapped network connections:

post-70718-0-17413700-1335015846_thumb.p

So remove the network connections and use the net use command to map the connections on demand (net use X: \\server\share /persistent:No). /persistent:No is important to map them temporary only.

That it ! .. My office shares .. man I was so blind .. from where did you get those snapshots? the xml ?

from where did you get those snapshots? the xml ?

open the ETL with the xperfviewer, select the WinLogon-interval and click "Clone Selection". No go to the "Generic events" graph and make a rightclick and select "summary table". In this table expand "Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon" and you can see the 2 entries.

from where did you get those snapshots? the xml ?

open the ETL with the xperfviewer, select the WinLogon-interval and click "Clone Selection". No go to the "Generic events" graph and make a rightclick and select "summary table". In this table expand "Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon" and you can see the 2 entries.

:thumbup

One more question: what does the password request (Request Credentials) time includes? Does it include the time needed to enter the password?

I was trying this and it showed it couldn't defrag. Defrag auto-schedule wasn't disabled and now currently tryng from cmd. So far only gone to pre-defrag report

Capture.jpg

Update: Ok, just got pass the defrag using the solution at page 14 or 15 I think. I just finished the tracing it seems to have worked. Went from over 60s to about 45s. Using Bootracer to record. I can't seem to access any of the files though "xperf: warning: applying restriction of access for trace processing"

Edited by hangtime21

Before optimization your Windows needed 123s to boot to the desktop and 258s to boot completely.

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="122823" bootDoneViaPostBoot="268323"

After optimization your Windows needed 37s to boot to the desktop and 78s to boot completely.

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="37291" bootDoneViaPostBoot="88991"

this is a huge improvement. Try to disable some startup tools with AutoRuns/msconfig to reduce the 41s delay which is causes by starting all tools at startup:

postBootDisturbance="41700"

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Ok. Thank you very much :thumbup

EDIT: New problem, the performance analyzer trace files keep popping up in the designated folder and they keep growing in size. How do I stop this? Happens every time I boot my laptop and I can see my free space dwindling down when I refresh the explorer page. I delete them everytime but they keep coming back

EDIT: Redid the whole trace thing and it seemed to stop the anomaly for now

Edited by hangtime21