How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

I can't really see the cause. Disable all 3rd party tools (Clean Boot) (especially the Trusteer Rapport tools, it causes a lot of CPU usage) until you find the tool which causes the slow ExplorerInit.

Thanks Andre. I have a feeling it's probably both Malwarebytes and Trusteer combined. I'll do as you suggest. Merry Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Magicandre1981, ive followed your guide in how to speedup the boot time on windows 7 to no avail it seems every time i do a cold boot it just takes longer to boot everytime its weird i thought that the performance would only start to decline once you installed something new or add something to the registry of windows. Or are you supposed to always do the Command prompt trick everytime a week ....

After the last check on the normal boot command that you posted it rebooted i went and checked the event manager and it stated 60626ms, then after that did a cold boot after like 5 hours i think, and it showed 178786ms.

Thx for the reply, but it seems i may be suffering from faulty disk drive, just now it started to do some scratchy noise thing.

I have to start thinking of replacing it with an SSD maybe, have to research a bit to try and find one that fits on my laptop.

Edited by d0xfr3e

• 2 months later...

booting to the desktop takes 96s and Windows is fully booted in 104s:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="96448" bootDoneViaPostBoot="114548"

the largest delay is the SMSSinit phase.

Here it takes 60s to start the device: "USB\VID_0BDA&PID_0139\20100201396000000" which is your Realtek SD Reader. Update the driver if this is the latest driver, disable the device and only enable it when you need to read/write data to the SD card.

post-70718-0-82742900-1364047377_thumb.p

Also, please Install the Win7 Sp1! The RTM will be out of support stating with April 2013.

To make sure the boot is fast, install the hotfixes:

Hey guys,

after some usage of my google skills i found this forum to get some help. Since i've reinstalled my win7 with a new ssd+new hdd, I've got some problem with my win7 startup. Now it took roundabout 60sec for booting. I ran the xbootmgr to analyze my problem. After reading through the xml file i was surprised by this line.

<interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="41975" duration="41975">
<perProcess>
<perProcessCPUUsage name="Idle" time="41427" percentOfInterval="98.69">
<cpuUsage priority="0" time="41427" cumulativeTime="41427" ofProcess="100.00" ofInterval="98.69" cumulativeOfProcess="100.00"/>
</perProcessCPUUsage>

Does this mean my CPU idle 40sec before doing anything usefull ? When yes why ? Some seconds ago i looked into my pc and there is realy no dwarf whos is saying "nananana nananana you have a ssd plz wait ..." :(

I think i found the problem:

<phase name="bootStart" startTime="31" endTime="41599" duration="41568">
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+d21defa+0+0" type="Device" activity="Start"
startTime="1230" endTime="27747" duration="26517" prePendTime="26517" description="IDE-Kanal" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0"/>
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+d21defa+0+1" type="Device" activity="Start"
startTime="27747" endTime="41007" duration="13260" prePendTime="13260" description="IDE-Kanal" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1"/>

but how to solve this ?

my etl

Edited by Lurchus

Ok i solved my problem. Although ahci modus(BIOS) was activated during my win7 installation, my os failed to install/activate the msahci drivers, so my attached ata ssd+hdd ran in ide mode. Now i manually installed the amd sata ahci drivers from my hardware vendor(gigabyte= and now everything is running smoothly and my os start within half the time :)