Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
663 replies to this topic

klx

klx

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11

the issue is your Marvell 61xx RAID Controller:

- <phase name="bootStart" startTime="28" endTime="13776" duration="13748">
  <pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_11AB+DEV_6121+SUBSYS_82A21043+REV_B2\4+1ad356c7+0+00E4" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="5886" endTime="12169" duration="6283" prePendTime="0" description="Marvell 61xx RAID Controller" friendlyName="" /> 
  <pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_11AB+DEV_6121+SUBSYS_82A21043+REV_B2\4+1ad356c7+0+00E4" type="Device" activity="Start" startTime="2851" endTime="5885" duration="3033" prePendTime="3033" description="Marvell 61xx RAID Controller" friendlyName="" /> 

it takes 9s to enumerate the connected devices. Because of this the PreSMSS phase takes 16s. Update the drivers, please. Which devices do you connect to the Marvel Controller?

Also starting all programs at startup takes 10s.

I did install the lastest Marvell driver when I installed this Windows.
However, I don't use RAID (only one HDD). Should I just disable it?

Also, the startup programs are all necessary for me at the startup, alas I need to deal with this 10s delay.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I neglected to subtract the postBootRequiredIdleTime of 10 seconds. That would put me at a 49 second boot. Is this about the best I can expect?)

if you really need all tools at startup this is the best time you can get because the startup tools delay your boot for 20s:

postBootDisturbance="20200"

Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I did install the lastest Marvell driver when I installed this Windows.
However, I don't use RAID (only one HDD). Should I just disable it?

Also, the startup programs are all necessary for me at the startup, alas I need to deal with this 10s delay.

If you don't connect devices to the Marvel chip, disable it.
Posted Image

klx

klx

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
Alright, I did what you said and disabled it.
It was still being listed in the log, should i run the xbootmgr again?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

yes, run it again and look if you still have the delays.
Posted Image

klx

klx

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
While I disabled the Marvell Controller in my BIOS, Windows will simply not let me uninstall it.
The device is not even listed in my Device Manager list anymore, and if I try to uninstall by using the Marvell uninstaller or by using the Device Manager (Enabling the Marvell Controller again), Windows will not boot and will run a repair session where the driver is restored.
This driver was not even installed when I installed Windows, why the hell is it bitching about a driver no longer being used?

The driver in question is mv61xx.sys on system32.

Edited by klx, 23 April 2011 - 07:16 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

activate the chip again and disable the marvel chip in the device manager.
Posted Image

klx

klx

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
Disabling it was never the problem, uninstalling it was.
Also, I disabled the chip in my BIOS to avoid it delaying the BIOS post (and with incorrect information about my HDD). It does however, not recognize my DVD-RW since the Marvell IDE Controller is not enabled. I rarely use it anyway, not worth having that huge delay for using it once every 6 months, if I need it I'll just re-enable in the BIOS.

Anyway here is the newest log.
I did check it and it was reduced to around 34s for a full boot, and the Marvell RAID Controller wasn't listed. If you could take another look, i would appreciate it.

Attached Files

Edited by klx, 23 April 2011 - 08:26 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

it is faster now:

timing bootDoneViaExplorer="14697" bootDoneViaPostBoot="34697" postBootDisturbance="10000"

boot to desktop in 14.7s and booting completely is done in 24.7 seconds.
Posted Image

klx

klx

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
I'll assume you found no other problems then.

A huge thank you for your help.
Now i can boot my system without needing to eat breakfast first.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I need a complete boot trace (the ETL file) to see more details. But the 24s are fine.
Posted Image

klx

klx

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
Alright then.

http://www.mediafire...mbz2uni7lrsc5k7

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

don't use TuneUp, run ngen install to compile the ATI CCC to native code, this improves the starttime of the ATI CCC. The rest is ok, the prefetcher is trained well with the prepSystem option.
Posted Image

Hebram

Hebram

• 16 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11

I neglected to subtract the postBootRequiredIdleTime of 10 seconds. That would put me at a 49 second boot. Is this about the best I can expect?)

if you really need all tools at startup this is the best time you can get because the startup tools delay your boot for 20s:

Where in the summary can I find the software that is calculated in the postBootDisturbance?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

this can't be read from the XML. I can only see the value
Posted Image

Hebram

Hebram

• 16 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
Thank you. I read it over a few times and couldn't find it an area clustering these processes.

I will see what I can do about slimming down startup items more. Already I am seeing a tremendous improvement in boot time. There are several packages that I need, such as Carbonite (offsite backup to cloud), Window Home Server (onsite backup to fileserver), and Truecrypt (whole disk encryption).

klx

klx

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
Any reason for not using TuneUp?
I only use it for weekly maintenance in my gaming PC, such as deleting broken shortcuts, cleaning the registry, etc.
I generally don't use this kind of software, as you can see I don't have an anti virus installed. However, I don't have enough time to do those tasks manually anymore, and yes, I'm willing to waste a bit of boot time and RAM for this.
Most of my work is done through my Linux desktop, this desktop is for gaming only. Thus very few applications are installed.

By ngen do you mean ngen from .NET Framework? And if yes what's correct command line for CCC?

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>ngen install
Microsoft ® CLR Native Image Generator - Version 4.0.30319.1
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Error: You must specify an assembly to install.

Hebram

Hebram

• 16 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
On second thought, I can probably make a scheduled task that turns up the Windows Home Server services and launch the client shortly before it is needed for the nightly backup. I will tackle that after I ferret out more startup items.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Any reason for not using TuneUp?
I only use it for weekly maintenance in my gaming PC, such as deleting broken shortcuts, cleaning the registry, etc.

this only damages the PC but improves NOTHING!

By ngen do you mean ngen from .NET Framework? And if yes what's correct command line for CCC?

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>ngen install
Error: You must specify an assembly to install.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>ngen install "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>ngen install "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe"

do this for MOM.exe, too. I don't know the correct path. I deleted the CCC on my system, because it's too slow.

Also what is this MemClean.exe? What does it? remove it.
Posted Image

klx

klx

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
http://www.koshyjohn...tware/memclean/

I use it to manage my RAM usage in applications known to have heavy memory leaks *cough*Flight Simulator*cough*.
It's a good freeware tool. When the application doesn't have memory leaks, I simply disable the RAM cleaning.

As for the tasks, I'll have to disagree.
I lost count of how many applications i had to hunt down registry keys and AppData config because their weak uninstaller did not uninstall these.
I had an application crashing even after reinstalling, and found out it was the AppData config that wasn't deleted and was causing the crash.

As I said, this is a gaming PC. I constantly install/uninstall/reinstall games/mods/tools.
Leaving their leftovers because the uninstaller didn't do its job isn't such a great idea.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

no, TuneUp is useless, the only working version was TuneUp97 for Windows 95! All later TuneUp versions are real snakeoil to get money from users like you. Also the Memtool is uselees, it trims the workingset (forcing Windows to swap to the pagefile) but nothing more.
Posted Image

klx

klx

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11
Like I said, I use it for memory leak applications only.
MemClean prevents FS2004 from crashing due to the lack of available physical memory because of the amount of memory leaks the game have.

Do you have a suggestion for doing these tasks automatically (replacing TuneUp)?
Like i said before, I don't need a software to improve my performance or anything (I do all my configuration myself), but II do need one to do these simple tasks of cleaning my PC.

As for ngen install, it did work for both CCC.exe and MOM.exe, but i get this error with CLIStart.exe:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>ngen install "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
Installing assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe
Uninstalling assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe because of an error during compilation: Failed to load the runtime. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131700).
Failed to load the runtime. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131700)

And yes, Catalyst is one of the worst softwares i had laid my eye upon, i know it.
I do need it for some stuff though.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I have no idea why it fails for CLIStart. I removed CCC completely and use MSI Afterburner to change the fan speed of my HD 5770 which is a native app and starts much faster.

if the tool fixes the crashes you can use it. You can create a script to delete all files from the temp folder and run this from the task scheduler.
Posted Image

Hebram

Hebram

• 16 posts
  • Joined 21-April 11

Where in the summary can I find the software that is calculated in the postBootDisturbance?

I have made more modifications without affecting my backup clients, VPN client, or encryption software.

bootDoneViaPostBoot="42771" osLoaderDuration="2638" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="2900"

This is a HUGE improvement over my original values:

bootDoneViaPostBoot="1489166" osLoaderDuration="2779" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="48000"

I cannot thank enough for your time and advice in helping me resolve my infuriating boot times. Do you know of a resource for decrease shutdown times?

Hebram

Edited by Hebram, 23 April 2011 - 02:16 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I have made more modifications without affecting my backup clients, VPN client, or encryption software.

bootDoneViaPostBoot="42771" osLoaderDuration="2638" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="2900"

This is a HUGE improvement over my original values:

bootDoneViaPostBoot="1489166" osLoaderDuration="2779" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="48000"

I cannot thank enough for your time and advice in helping me resolve my infuriating boot times. Do you know of a resource for decrease shutdown times?

this is indeed a huge improvement.

follow my guide to make a xbootmgr shutdown trace and compress the shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl as 7z or RAR and upload it to mediafire.com.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users