How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

your boot is slow because the HDD is busy all the time.In which SATA mode do you run your ST9500325AS?

Avast and the Adaware service slows down the system a lot.! both take over 20s to start. remove both tools and use other alternatives like MSE or AntiVir. Also the KMService takes extremely long to start.

After doing this run the optimization again.

I checked my hard disks by device manager and it showed the disks are ATA devices but I checked with Asus my notebook supposed to be SATA .

Could that be the problem?

If I remove Avast Adaware and KMService will the optimization finished with out error balloon or it will just make booting faster.

Thank you for your help

Nagashima

MagicAndre1981, here are my two xml files after I done the Windows 7 boot prefetch optimization as you instructed

start xml

end xml

and also the relevant results which I don't really understand :( :

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="80235" bootDoneViaPostBoot="-1" osLoaderDuration="8244"

postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="9223371946619"

pnpBootStartStartTime="51" pnpBootStartEndTime="1547" pnpBootStartDuration="1496"

pnpSystemStartStartTime="3151" pnpSystemStartEndTime="4452" pnpSystemStartDuration="1301">

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="47346" bootDoneViaPostBoot="132346" osLoaderDuration="8287"

postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="75000"

pnpBootStartStartTime="59" pnpBootStartEndTime="1405" pnpBootStartDuration="1345"

pnpSystemStartStartTime="8654" pnpSystemStartEndTime="10870" pnpSystemStartDuration="2216">

I am posting also the trace file link for you trace to examine and please help me to improve my Windows 7 to be the best boot time possible(by the way,I am running it on quite old hardware : AMD Barton 2600,1G RAM DDR1,200 Gb WD harddisk and Nvidia FX5200 video card and Yes it's running with AERO and all the features on :) but kinda slow sometimes).Thanks for helping me!

I should run chkdsk.exe manually for the entire disk,or only for C: partition(Windows 7)?Or should I set it to check the whole disk when I reboot?

Edited by vladv

your Windows boots ok.

It takes 22s to boot to the desktop and 40s to boot completely.

I can see that the AVG services take too long to start. is this the latest version?

Also the longest delay is caused by the running tools at startup. This takes 18s. So reduce the number of of tools.

If this still doesn't speedup Windows, upload the ETL file.

your Windows boots ok.

It takes 22s to boot to the desktop and 40s to boot completely.

I can see that the AVG services take too long to start. is this the latest version?

Also the longest delay is caused by the running tools at startup. This takes 18s. So reduce the number of of tools.

If this still doesn't speedup Windows, upload the ETL file.

hmmm running tools at startup? I only have a couple things in my startup settings in MSCONFIG as you can see in the attached photo.

post-320648-0-86526100-1301438933_thumb.

Edited by teohenwhy