How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

I'm having slow boot time in my win7 x64, specially after screen "preparing your desktop", it takes 3 minutes to apear the desktop. I have uploaded my .etl trace and the event i think is making this delay, the "preShellInit", it takes 222092ms, in this link: My link

Can you give some tips?

Please help me with possible solution to this problem.

Thanks!

Hello,

I tested my boot too and i see in the .etl file that there are no activityes of processor, disk, readyboot or somthing else until second 11.

The only thing i see from second 0 to 11 is under Process Lifetime, Idle (0) System (4).

At second 11 begins all activityes and ends at second 22

The test was made on clean win7 64bit with default windows drivers.

After i install mb chipset drivers, the test have no activity anywhere from second 0 to 18

The same as first from 0 to 18 is just the process idle 0 system 4.

Can some one explain what would be the cause pls!?

The proc is phenom x4 955 3,2 , hdds are : primary sata2 raid 0 2x7200rpm secondary 1 sata2 7200 hdd, 4GB ddr 1600, video gtx260.

I have uploaded the 2 test (with and without drivers installed at http://allschematics.com/results.zip ) filesize is 6MB

Thanks for help

you have a lot of tools at startup:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe" /s

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Coretemp\Core Temp.exe"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.24 MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2009 edition\RivaTuner.exe" -T

"C:\Users\Tony Ly\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\GPUMonitor[1].gadget\GPUMonitor.exe"

and I can see that the AVG driver/service slows down the boot. Do you use the latest version?

Can you give some tips?

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="254314" bootDoneViaPostBoot="281214"

Your Windows takes 254 seconds to boot to the desktop and 271 seconds to boot completely.

<interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="14322" endTime="248822" duration="234499">

The WinlogonInit takes too long. I saw that restoring the network connection takes most time:

RestoringNetConnections:

22.643866982 (start)

248.484303871 (stop)

I saw that the NFS driver has long delays. Do you connect NFS drives? Are they available? Connect the drivers after the boot with net use /permanent:NO from a cmd you start to avoid this hang.

I have uploaded the 2 test (with and without drivers installed at http://allschematics.com/results.zip ) filesize is 6MB

Thanks for help

ok, the first delay is here:

interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="20665" duration="20665">

and I saw that this device takes too long to enumerate connected drives:

pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_1002+DEV_4393+SUBSYS_B0021458+REV_00\3+2b8e0b4b+0+88" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="7380" endTime="17486" duration="10106" prePendTime="10106" description="AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller" friendlyName="" /> 

How many HDDs have you connected to the RAID controller? I can only see this in the trace sys config: AMD 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device

the trace doesn't have all data. Run the normal trace from my other guide and add this to the command line:

-postBootDelay 300

this traces 5 minutes (300 seconds) after the boot is finished.

Upload the new traces, please.

Hello,

i have run this command from your other guide.. (i think you refered to this command)

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -postBootDelay 300 -resultPath C:\WPA

i have uploaded the result : http://allschematics.com/result.zip

The drives connected in raid 0 are only 2 HDD. i have also a single hdd connected as IDE mode (throught sata too) and a dvd-ram conected as Sata mode i think.

All drives are sata2 (i think the raid controller handle all drives. even if they are not in raid. All 6 sata2 ports are handled by amd RD750 chipset i think, southbridge)

I hope its not the number of drives that giveing the delay, cause i am expecting today for another 2 drives for the raid array.

Also, the bios is building the raid array before windows is loading ( and its detected fast,,, about 3 second).

Thank you

Magic Andre can you tell me what this is and why it takes so long?

process name="xbootmgrSleep.exe" startTime="30200" endTime="150369" lifetime="120168" />

this is the default 120 wait time of xbootmgr after you get to the desktop.

i have run this command from your other guide.. (i think you refered to this command)

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -postBootDelay 300 -resultPath C:\WPA

i have uploaded the result : http://allschematics.com/result.zip

yes, this was ok so.

your boot is no much faster:

timing bootDoneViaExplorer="25391" bootDoneViaPostBoot="36391" osLoaderDuration="1527"  postBootDisturbance="1000"

Windows boots in 25s to the desktop and is loaded in 26s (1s startup programs delay) completely.

But the main issue still occurs:

phase name="bootStart" startTime="34" endTime="15282" duration="15248">
<pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_1002+DEV_4393+SUBSYS_B0021458+REV_00\3+2b8e0b4b+0+88" type="Device" activity="[b]Enum[/b]" startTime="4811" endTime="14911" [b]duration="10100" [/b][i]prePendTime="10100"[/i] description="AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller" friendlyName="" />

the RAID controller still takes 10s to enum. I found this in the documentation about the prePendTime:

The PrePendTime in each instance is equal to the duration. The prePendTime indicates how long the driver processed the IRP in its start or enumeration dispatch routine before it returned STATUS_PENDING. This value should be as close to 0 as possible. If it equals the duration, the driver did not pend the IRP.

so try a newer AMD Raid driver and if this doesn't fix it, contact the AMD support for an updated driver which does it faster.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Thank you very much MagicAndre1981

I will try to find a good driver, maybe from other mobo or chipset that would match, cause for my mobo i have the latest driver from the gigabyte support website.

I will try to contact amd support if i`l not find any good driver..

Again, thank you for your time and for helping, i will post back when i`ll get new drivers.

Hello Andre..

I Found a raid driver that fixed the problem with the 10s enum.

Now its loading storport.sys from second 0 to 1 and another storport.sys (i do not know why needs 2 storport.sys) from second 1 to 2,

Then waits about 2,5 seconds until begin loading anything, (better than those 10 seconds).

But i can't find out why it does not loading the next steps wright befor enum at second 2, why it waits until second 4,5 ??!

And another question is, why there are so white spaces betwen procesess, as i see in the file, the proceses are started and finished in about the same time, what delays the next process !?

The total time is about 14 seconds, i want to cut those delays when it does nothing, just siting in idle !?

I have uploaded the results to take a look on http://allschematics.com/result.zip

Thanks

hi, your Windows is no very fast.

it boots in 14s to the desktop and is booted completely in 14.5 seconds.

The IDE channel 0 enum causes the 2.5 seconds delay.

- <phase name="bootStart" startTime="25" endTime="4845" duration="4820">
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+25242dfa+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="1996" endTime="4497" duration="2501" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />

Which devices have you connected to the ATA Channel 0?

André

Hello Andre,

I have on IDE-0 a normal 7200rpm HDD. I do not have cd-rom, or dvd-rom.

I was thinking that that hdd will be, but i disabled from bios the ide channel, and nothing changed...

There still was 2 storports, and there still was the delay from second 2 to 4, so i`ve enabled it again..

No change in delays with or without the ide hdd.

Also if u look in drivers delay, some are loading on second ~6 , some on second ~10, some on second ~12.

But what he is doing between second 6 and 10 ?! or betwen 10 and 12 ?!

All the services i see them starting and finishing at sec 12, what delays them not loading earlyer !?

i think my cpu and ram can handle them easy and earlyer,

How much seconds to boot you consider to be a "fast boot" ?!

Can be the cause my hdd speeds !? my raid have an average of 7ms access time.

Thanks.

You were RIGHT Sir.

I had nothing on IDE-0 , but i had IDE-0 and IDE-1 in device manager.

So i disabled those 2 ide and the pci ide connector too, and now the delay has gone.

Check for the new test at http://allschematics.com/result.zip

What else can i do to reduce the boot time !? Is there any drivers that delays boot !?

Thank you Sir.