How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

While I disabled the Marvell Controller in my BIOS, Windows will simply not let me uninstall it.

The device is not even listed in my Device Manager list anymore, and if I try to uninstall by using the Marvell uninstaller or by using the Device Manager (Enabling the Marvell Controller again), Windows will not boot and will run a repair session where the driver is restored.

This driver was not even installed when I installed Windows, why the hell is it bitching about a driver no longer being used?

The driver in question is mv61xx.sys on system32.

Edited by klx

Disabling it was never the problem, uninstalling it was.

Also, I disabled the chip in my BIOS to avoid it delaying the BIOS post (and with incorrect information about my HDD). It does however, not recognize my DVD-RW since the Marvell IDE Controller is not enabled. I rarely use it anyway, not worth having that huge delay for using it once every 6 months, if I need it I'll just re-enable in the BIOS.

Anyway here is the newest log.

I did check it and it was reduced to around 34s for a full boot, and the Marvell RAID Controller wasn't listed. If you could take another look, i would appreciate it.

02_summary_end.xml

Edited by klx

I neglected to subtract the postBootRequiredIdleTime of 10 seconds. That would put me at a 49 second boot. Is this about the best I can expect?)

if you really need all tools at startup this is the best time you can get because the startup tools delay your boot for 20s:

postBootDisturbance="20200"

Where in the summary can I find the software that is calculated in the postBootDisturbance?

Thank you. I read it over a few times and couldn't find it an area clustering these processes.

I will see what I can do about slimming down startup items more. Already I am seeing a tremendous improvement in boot time. There are several packages that I need, such as Carbonite (offsite backup to cloud), Window Home Server (onsite backup to fileserver), and Truecrypt (whole disk encryption).

Any reason for not using TuneUp?

I only use it for weekly maintenance in my gaming PC, such as deleting broken shortcuts, cleaning the registry, etc.

I generally don't use this kind of software, as you can see I don't have an anti virus installed. However, I don't have enough time to do those tasks manually anymore, and yes, I'm willing to waste a bit of boot time and RAM for this.

Most of my work is done through my Linux desktop, this desktop is for gaming only. Thus very few applications are installed.

By ngen do you mean ngen from .NET Framework? And if yes what's correct command line for CCC?

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>ngen install

Microsoft ® CLR Native Image Generator - Version 4.0.30319.1

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error: You must specify an assembly to install.

On second thought, I can probably make a scheduled task that turns up the Windows Home Server services and launch the client shortly before it is needed for the nightly backup. I will tackle that after I ferret out more startup items.

Any reason for not using TuneUp?

I only use it for weekly maintenance in my gaming PC, such as deleting broken shortcuts, cleaning the registry, etc.

this only damages the PC but improves NOTHING!

By ngen do you mean ngen from .NET Framework? And if yes what's correct command line for CCC?

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>ngen install

Microsoft ® CLR Native Image Generator - Version 4.0.30319.1

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error: You must specify an assembly to install.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>ngen install "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>ngen install "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe"

do this for MOM.exe, too. I don't know the correct path. I deleted the CCC on my system, because it's too slow.

Also what is this MemClean.exe? What does it? remove it.

http://www.koshyjohn.com/software/memclean/

I use it to manage my RAM usage in applications known to have heavy memory leaks *cough*Flight Simulator*cough*.

It's a good freeware tool. When the application doesn't have memory leaks, I simply disable the RAM cleaning.

As for the tasks, I'll have to disagree.

I lost count of how many applications i had to hunt down registry keys and AppData config because their weak uninstaller did not uninstall these.

I had an application crashing even after reinstalling, and found out it was the AppData config that wasn't deleted and was causing the crash.

As I said, this is a gaming PC. I constantly install/uninstall/reinstall games/mods/tools.

Leaving their leftovers because the uninstaller didn't do its job isn't such a great idea.