Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
663 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

nice to hear that it works now :thumbup Run the optimization to fully train ReadyBoot again.
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

zare

zare
  • 8 posts
Sorry to high jack this thread: have boot problems after changing some option(disable system restore, indexing ...) .. The boot time when from 20sec to 80 sec. In the event log, the biggest difference is BootUserProfileProcessingTime. In the etl file I cannot see any service taking more time, but there is gap(60s) between two group of services. Any advice where I should look for the problem.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

can you upload the compressed (7z, RAR) tarce?
Posted Image

zare

zare
  • 8 posts

Here it is.

zare

zare
  • 8 posts

Here it is.

Just noticed the file is 47M .. :) ..here is smaller version with 7z ..

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

this is ok. I already downloaded the file.

Your delay is caused by 2 points:

1.) entering password takes 6 seconds:

Attached File  01_password.png   2.98KB   21 downloads

but the larger delay (53s) is caused by restoring the mapped network connections:

Attached File  02_Restorenetworkconnections.png   3.22KB   21 downloads

So remove the network connections and use the net use command to map the connections on demand (net use X: \\server\share /persistent:No). /persistent:No is important to map them temporary only.
Posted Image

zare

zare
  • 8 posts

this is ok. I already downloaded the file.

Your delay is caused by 2 points:

1.) entering password takes 6 seconds:

Attached File  01_password.png   2.98KB   21 downloads

but the larger delay (53s) is caused by restoring the mapped network connections:

Attached File  02_Restorenetworkconnections.png   3.22KB   21 downloads

So remove the network connections and use the net use command to map the connections on demand (net use X: \\server\share /persistent:No). /persistent:No is important to map them temporary only.

That it ! .. My office shares .. man I was so blind .. from where did you get those snapshots? the xml ?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

from where did you get those snapshots? the xml ?

open the ETL with the xperfviewer, select the WinLogon-interval and click "Clone Selection". No go to the "Generic events" graph and make a rightclick and select "summary table". In this table expand "Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon" and you can see the 2 entries.
Posted Image

zare

zare
  • 8 posts

from where did you get those snapshots? the xml ?

open the ETL with the xperfviewer, select the WinLogon-interval and click "Clone Selection". No go to the "Generic events" graph and make a rightclick and select "summary table". In this table expand "Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon" and you can see the 2 entries.

:thumbup

One more question: what does the password request (Request Credentials) time includes? Does it include the time needed to enter the password?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

sorry, I have no idea. This is not documented. And I have the issue in Win8 that I have a 10s delay when I've used AutoLogon.
Posted Image

hangtime21

hangtime21
  • 3 posts
I was trying this and it showed it couldn't defrag. Defrag auto-schedule wasn't disabled and now currently tryng from cmd. So far only gone to pre-defrag report

Posted Image

Update: Ok, just got pass the defrag using the solution at page 14 or 15 I think. I just finished the tracing it seems to have worked. Went from over 60s to about 45s. Using Bootracer to record. I can't seem to access any of the files though "xperf: warning: applying restriction of access for trace processing"

Edited by hangtime21, 23 April 2012 - 06:54 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

have you disabled UAC?
Posted Image

hangtime21

hangtime21
  • 3 posts
No, I haven't touched it and it's in default state right now.

*EDIT: Seemed to have worked my way around it. Here are the traces start and end

Edited by hangtime21, 23 April 2012 - 11:50 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

Before optimization your Windows needed 123s to boot to the desktop and 258s to boot completely.

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="122823" bootDoneViaPostBoot="268323"

After optimization your Windows needed 37s to boot to the desktop and 78s to boot completely.

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="37291" bootDoneViaPostBoot="88991"

this is a huge improvement. Try to disable some startup tools with AutoRuns/msconfig to reduce the 41s delay which is causes by starting all tools at startup:

postBootDisturbance="41700" 

Edited by MagicAndre1981, 25 April 2012 - 04:54 AM.

Posted Image

hangtime21

hangtime21
  • 3 posts
Ok. Thank you very much :thumbup

EDIT: New problem, the performance analyzer trace files keep popping up in the designated folder and they keep growing in size. How do I stop this? Happens every time I boot my laptop and I can see my free space dwindling down when I refresh the explorer page. I delete them everytime but they keep coming back

EDIT: Redid the whole trace thing and it seemed to stop the anomaly for now

Edited by hangtime21, 24 April 2012 - 11:22 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

you can also use xbootmgr -remove to stop logging.
Posted Image

AnthonyM1229

AnthonyM1229
  • 4 posts
My PC Specs: Dell XPS 15 L502X with Core i7-2630QM, 8GB RAM, 640GB 7200RPM HDD, running Windows 7 Pro X64

Hello, Magic Andre. Do you have any idea what could make Readyboot stop functioning in Windows 7? Late last week, I discovered that my Readyboot tracefx files had not been updated in about 6 months (!). I have no idea what happened. Somehow, my typical boot times of 30-40 seconds, survived most of that time until the few weeks leading up to this past weekend. In the middle of April, I began noticing a delay in the boot process (sitting at a black screen after the Windows flag logo for over 10 seconds). I didn't think much of it right away, because 1) it was after the latest round of Windows updates, and 2) I knew I hadn't been treating my computer optimally anyway (such as by going days or over a week in between reboots, when I usually shutdown and reboot every day...intense web design work made me slightly lazy about maintenance of my own computer.)

However, last Friday night and into Saturday morning, I decided to do a routine upgrade of my BIOS and Intel and NVIDIA graphics card drivers, as I saw updates available from Dell. After that process, boot time slowed to a crawl, over 60 seconds! And it would never get better from there, no matter how many times I restarted. In fact, it often worsened to about 120 seconds. So, I did some checking in my Prefetch folder--Prefetch appeared to still be working okay, as I saw recent .pf files. But then I checked my Readyboot folder, and that's when I noticed the 6-month old trace fx files. Apparently, my computer had been running on a stuck boot plan since the end of October 2011, and it was fine, because I had used my computer similarly until recently. But now things weren't fine. Not only had boot times ballooned, I was also starting to experience sluggishness in opening/using programs, and I was not going to stand for that, so, I began feverishly researching for how to fix this. I came across your thread, and followed instructions. However, boot traces would fail due to not being able to find the prefetcher, or whatever..."gave up waiting for prefetcher after 300 seconds"--that was some of the words of the error, and I know that error has been discussed elsewhere in this thread. Anyway, to speed my story along, I got so frustrated with not being able to cure my PC's slowness, no matter what I tried...even restoring a backup from just before I installed the new driver updates, did not fix the issue. So, I decided to resort to doing a repair install of Windows (aka an inplace upgrade). That definitely should've been a routine process. In fact, I last did that in early October 2011 in response to another unrelated issue (though I verified I did the reinstall weeks before ReadyBoot apparently quit working). However, as I may document elsewhere, the repair install turned out to be a nightmare (mainly because Windows in its infinite wisdom, would attempt to install itself in one of my data partitions instead of my existing system partition, and then fail at the step where it installs drivers...I finally figured out that by shrinking the size of my data partitions so their free space amounts to less than that of my system drive's, Windows would install properly in the system drive. But, I never had to do such trickery in the past...again, I may further discuss this upgrade misadventure later, perhaps on Microsoft Answers. Edit: I've posted my experience at Microsoft Answers

Sorry if I'm being long-winded... I've since finally gotten Windows properly reinstalled as of yesterday, and Readyboot is working properly. After installing all the needed Windows updates and doing other steps for setting up my computer for regular use, I attempted to do the prepsystem boot trace again. This time it worked! I even noticed boot times get down to about 25 seconds a couple times, which would happen occasionally anyway, long before my reinstall and when things were working smoothly. However, such low boot times are elusive now. Instead, I typically average 45 seconds, which is not terrible, sure, but it grates on my nerves, because at startup, I sit at a black screen for 15-20 seconds or more after the flag logo displays. This appears to be the same behavior I noticed in the weeks leading up to now, mentioned above. Currently, I suspect fragmentation of the Prefetch and Readyboot folder contents, may have something to do with it, but if so, that's a losing battle, right, because even when I defragment them, they'll just get fragmented again in the next bootup or two.

Speaking of Readyboot fragmentation, what is with the *.DQPA, *.DQPAF, and related files, if you know? These are most subject to fragmentation, and, they are new to me as of this install of Windows. Previously, I only ever saw a ReadyBoot.etl file and up to five trace.fx files in the Readyboot folder. I can't seem to find any documentation on those new files, and for some reason, they seem to be essential... as a test, I marked them as read-only, and within one or two next bootups, my boot time nearly doubled, and ReadyBoot.etl would indicate no cache hits.

I seem to be running out of ways to try to stabilize my boot time at under 40 seconds and eliminate the startup delay after the Windows flag display...do you think you can help me out? I've made a folder available on my Skydrive with two traces. My "Trace Of Best Boot" is a <30-second boot traced during a sysprep, while the "Trace Of Typical Boot" is a 45-second boot--what I get at least 90% of the time. Actually, only three total times so far, have I gotten a boot of under 30 seconds with my latest Windows install, and two of those times were during a sysprep. May you analyze my traces, and tell me if there's anything I can do to restore my once-regular boot times of ~30 seconds? I'd greatly apppreciate it--thank you! And if you need any more info from me, please let me know.

Edited by AnthonyM1229, 01 May 2012 - 04:32 PM.

paulobao

paulobao
  • 7 posts
Hello MagicAndre,

I'm new here! I arrived here after a google search "how to speed boot win7" :rolleyes:
I'm with windows since 1997 when I bought my first Toshiba laptop (that still works!). I never had a desktop of my own...only laptops!
I'm doing astrophotography and astrometry for a while now and the laptop is a bonus! I've lot of astronomy specific software (to manage and control the cameras, mount, focusers, etc needed to capture the data I want and software to process the data too). I have Adobe PS too! My new laptop, bought 2 months ago, is a Toshiba Tecra R840-16J (I'm from portugal) : I7-2640M @ 2.8 GHz + 8 GB RAM DDR3 + 500 GB 7200 RPM. Despite a very intensive computing "work", specially when I have lot of data to process, I understand little about what inside the computer!!! All the info jargon that everybody here understands is a little bit too much for me :blushing: .
Now that I've presented myself here the topic!
I was a little frustrating after I bought this ne laptop since I thought it would be quicker to boot! (the processing performace is great compared to my last, 7 year old, laptop). I saw a tutorial about how to decrease boot time but I did not understand it at all (my fault).
I'm running Win 7 64 bit sp1 with automatic update checked on! I use Norton 360 V6 as my AV (because I use Norton AV for several years without any problems and this last version seems not have any negative impact on the computer performace). I'm using Ghost 15 for bckup and norton utilities for defragment and registry cleaning (?)!

Could you help me finding if my boot time could be improved?
I saw in this thread that you need a ETL file ! How can I save this file? I executed perfmon.exe and went to Event viewer but I can't see what to save!

Thanks in advance,
regards,
paulo

Edited by paulobao, 01 May 2012 - 12:58 PM.

paulobao

paulobao
  • 7 posts
Hi again,

I managed to make it right at first time :) .
I followed all your tutorial (I had already hotfix #1 installed and registry settings for EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch was already set to 3 and the Superfetch service (sysmain) was running and set to start automatically).
All the 6 iterations runned without a problem and then a final one saved the final file "boot_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl".
So it seems everything runned just great :-).

But I see no improvement at all in my boot time :( .

I even runned "Restart-Time.vbs" and found no improvement :(

I have more 6 large files like this one "bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl". Do I need those?

Any help?

Note: I uninstalled Norton ghost and Norton utilities before making the test!

Regards,
paulo

Edited by paulobao, 01 May 2012 - 05:08 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

I seem to be running out of ways to try to stabilize my boot time at under 40 seconds and eliminate the startup delay after the Windows flag display...do you think you can help me out?

My "Trace Of Best Boot" is a <30-second boot traced during a sysprep, while the "Trace Of Typical Boot" is a 45-second boot--what I get at least 90% of the time.

May you analyze my traces, and tell me if there's anything I can do to restore my once-regular boot times of ~30 seconds? I'd greatly apppreciate it--thank you! And if you need any more info from me, please let me know.

the bad trace shows me that the plug&play service causes the delay:

- <services autoStartStartTime="11115" autoStartEndTime="32371" autoStartDuration="21255">
  <serviceTransition name="PlugPlay" group="PlugPlay" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="20000" firstCheckpointTimeDelta="4" processingTimeDelta="19995" container="DcomLaunch svchost (976)" startedAt="11115" firstCheckpointedAt="11120" endedAt="31116" /> 

disable some devices (like the USB3.0 port) and test if this helps.
Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

I have more 6 large files like this one "bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl". Do I need those?

yes. Go to the folder where you stored the files and run those 2 commands:

xperf /tti -i bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl -o 01_summary_boot_start.xml -a boot
xperf /tti -i boot_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl -o 02_summary_boot_end.xml -a boot

open both XMLs and compare the values:

bootDoneViaExplorer
bootDoneViaPostBoot

In the 02_summary_boot_end.xml both values should be smaller. if not, upload the 2 files boot_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl and bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl as 7z or RAR to your Skydrive, dropbox and send me the link.
Posted Image

paulobao

paulobao
  • 7 posts
Hi Andre,

I gave it another run (after put Norton optimization to "off"...I think Norton tryed to defragm my disk!).
And yes I've a reduction in the boot time :-).
Please see the jpegs and this:

EventData

BootTsVersion 2
BootStartTime 2012-05-02T19:51:13.656000300Z
BootEndTime 2012-05-02T19:53:09.731402900Z
SystemBootInstance 170
UserBootInstance 140
BootTime 41510
MainPathBootTime 21110
BootKernelInitTime 19
BootDriverInitTime 1461
BootDevicesInitTime 1299
BootPrefetchInitTime 52786
BootPrefetchBytes 564596736
BootAutoChkTime 0
BootSmssInitTime 7775
BootCriticalServicesInitTime 3655
BootUserProfileProcessingTime 1943
BootMachineProfileProcessingTime 1497
BootExplorerInitTime 3482
BootNumStartupApps 19
BootPostBootTime 20400
BootIsRebootAfterInstall false
BootRootCauseStepImprovementBits 0
BootRootCauseGradualImprovementBits 0
BootRootCauseStepDegradationBits 0
BootRootCauseGradualDegradationBits 0
BootIsDegradation false
BootIsStepDegradation false
BootIsGradualDegradation false
BootImprovementDelta 0
BootDegradationDelta 0
BootIsRootCauseIdentified false
OSLoaderDuration 2248
BootPNPInitStartTimeMS 19
BootPNPInitDuration 1324
OtherKernelInitDuration 3249
SystemPNPInitStartTimeMS 4258
SystemPNPInitDuration 1435
SessionInitStartTimeMS 6009
Session0InitDuration 4299
Session1InitDuration 348
SessionInitOtherDuration 3127
WinLogonStartTimeMS 13785
OtherLogonInitActivityDuration 402
UserLogonWaitDuration 4527

Thanks for helping here :yes: .
I still have lot of stuff at startup and lot of services at startup, but for now I will keep them!

I'm running Norton 360 v6 as my AV (but wittout any optimization schedulled, just off)
What do you recommend (preference for MS/Windows built in tools) that I periodically do to have my laptop allways in great shape?

Regards,
paulo

Attached Files

Edited by paulobao, 02 May 2012 - 03:46 PM.

Shadowrun

Shadowrun
  • 2 posts
Hi, MagicAndre!

I've been running the self optimizing boot process for Win7 but I don't find what file/driver is slowing my machine down (I'm using SuperFetch, with setting at 3)

I just noticed a delay in BOOT PHASE: "Pre Session Init" and "Explorer Init".

And also in GENERIC EVENTS, the process "MS Windows Shell Core".

I uploaded my files: http://depositfiles....files/6by2f98be just in case you would like to take a look at them.

Thank you.

AnthonyM1229

AnthonyM1229
  • 4 posts

disable some devices (like the USB3.0 port) and test if this helps.

This reminded me that my USB 3.0 port was one of the drivers I updated recently. I reverted to the previous driver, but saw no improvement in boot time after running the sysprep boot traces. I then disabled the port altogether--still no help.

I've even implemented a scheduled task to do "defrag c: -b" two minutes after I log on, to see if boot files fragmentation is an issue...it's not really helpful, either.

Do you have any other ideas? I think I've exhausted my efforts, after thoroughly examining my logs.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

What do you recommend (preference for MS/Windows built in tools) that I periodically do to have my laptop allways in great shape?

only use the Windows defrag tool and no 3rd party tool. If Windows slows down (after installing a lot of new software or updates) run the optimization again.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN