Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
663 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I've been running the self optimizing boot process for Win7 but I don't find what file/driver is slowing my machine down (I'm using SuperFetch, with setting at 3)

interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="12838" duration="12838">

PreSMSS (read here what this is) is slow.

<phase name="bootStart" startTime="40" endTime="4808" duration="4767">
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+252bc7eb+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="991" endTime="3494" duration="2502" prePendTime="0" description="Canal IDE" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+252bc7eb+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="992" endTime="3494" duration="2502" prePendTime="0" description="Canal IDE" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+6c24720+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="990" endTime="2007" duration="1016" prePendTime="0" description="Canal IDE" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+6c24720+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="991" endTime="1997" duration="1006" prePendTime="0" description="Canal IDE" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />
- <phase name="systemStart" startTime="5828" endTime="12797" duration="6968">
<pnpObject name="Avgldx86" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="6433" endTime="12797" duration="6363" prePendTime="6363" />

So detecting the devices which are connected to the IDE channels takes some time and AVG driver is slow to load. So disable the IDe channels you don't need and update AVG to the latest version.

Explrorinit so slow because you run so much tools at startup (Gigabyte, Teamviewer, Adobne, google etc). remove things you don't need.
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Do you have any other ideas? I think I've exhausted my efforts, after thoroughly examining my logs.

look for other devices which cause the Plug&Play service delay:

Attached File  plug_nplay.png   36.02KB   10 downloads
Posted Image

Shadowrun

Shadowrun
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 02-May 12
Thanks a lot, MagicAndre. :))

How long does it take to read the results and go straight to the 'bad' processes? :)

paulobao

paulobao
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 01-May 12
Hi Andre,

Please see my latest etl file after uninstall Norton AV and installing MSE and let me know if is it ok !

My link

Regards,
paulo

Edited by paulobao, 03 May 2012 - 08:14 PM.

AnthonyM1229

AnthonyM1229
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 01-May 12
Hey MagicAndre, I fixed my boot time! It wasn't any device at all that was causing my slowness...it was...

...a stupid font file!

I generated a boot log with Process Monitor, and in that log, I isolated all events with a duration of at least one second. Out of tens of thousands of total events (if I recall, correctly--maybe even hundreds of thousands, fewer than 10 lasted more than a second, and so, the offender became instantly visible. It was a leftover ttf file from a font family I installed and tested on April 13 (yeah, some unlucky Friday that turned out to be for me, ha), but then promptly uninstalled. I'm not sure why that one file got left behind...perhaps because it's encrypted (as evidenced by the green color in Explorer). Why anyone would distribute an encrypted font file, who knows...even more odd, why only encrypt one file of a set? Whatever. In any case, I guess because of the encryption, and because it's a file I downloaded in my previous install of Windows, my current install could not access the file...hmm...Process Monitor reported an "access denied" warning on the file, and a hold-up of 20 seconds, the average length of the boot delay I've been experiencing. Previous ReadyBoot issue aside, that font was literally a single-handed destroyer of my fast boot time, and it even began slowing me down the very same day, as my Event Viewer logs indicate. But now, it's gone!!! Haha. I gleefully wiped out the offending file, and obliterated any traces of it in my registry. Afterward, I rebooted, seeing about a 10 second improvement to 40 seconds. A few more reboots, and I was not only back to normal, but even faster than I've been! I'm now averaging 27-30 seconds, whereas my previous normal was closer to 35, with occasional <30-second boots.

I've uploaded a new trace. May you take a look at it, and tell me if there's anything more I can do to wring out even another second from my boot time? Haha. I've probably gotten as low as I can already.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Thanks a lot, MagicAndre. :))

How long does it take to read the results and go straight to the 'bad' processes? :)

if you do this a lot of times you know how to read it. I've explained how to read it a bit more in my the tracing guide which I linked to explain PreSMSS.
Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Please see my latest etl file after uninstall Norton AV and installing MSE and let me know if is it ok !

My link

Hi,

your Windows boots to the desktop in about 24s and is completely booted in 28s:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="23749" bootDoneViaPostBoot="38149"

The Notebook Performance Tuning Service (TEMPRO) causes a boot delay:

Attached File  Notebook Performance Tuning Service (TEMPRO).png   13.31KB   17 downloads

Do you really need all of the 7 TOSHIBA services?

Also entering the password causes a delay. Do you enter the password each time or do you use automatic logon?

The rest is ok. Prefetcher works well (most bars are green and orange which is good):

Attached File  readyboot.png   11.49KB   7 downloads
Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Hey MagicAndre, I fixed my boot time! It wasn't any device at all that was causing my slowness...it was...

...a stupid font file!

I generated a boot log with Process Monitor, and in that log, I isolated all events with a duration of at least one second. Out of tens of thousands of total events (if I recall, correctly--maybe even hundreds of thousands, fewer than 10 lasted more than a second, and so, the offender became instantly visible. It was a leftover ttf file from a font family I installed and tested on April 13 (yeah, some unlucky Friday that turned out to be for me, ha), but then promptly uninstalled. I'm not sure why that one file got left behind...perhaps because it's encrypted (as evidenced by the green color in Explorer). Why anyone would distribute an encrypted font file, who knows...even more odd, why only encrypt one file of a set? Whatever. In any case, I guess because of the encryption, and because it's a file I downloaded in my previous install of Windows, my current install could not access the file...hmm...Process Monitor reported an "access denied" warning on the file, and a hold-up of 20 seconds, the average length of the boot delay I've been experiencing.

Wow, nice find :thumbup I've never seen this. But because of the power of ProcMon you fixed it :) :thumbup :thumbup

I've uploaded a new trace. May you take a look at it, and tell me if there's anything more I can do to wring out even another second from my boot time? Haha. I've probably gotten as low as I can already.

Your Windows boots really fast:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="17319" bootDoneViaPostBoot="29119" postBootDisturbance="1800"

17s to the desktop and 19s to boot completely (only 1.8s delay caused of startup tools).

That's great for a laptop HDD (even when it is a 7200rpm laptop HDD) :)
Posted Image

paulobao

paulobao
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 01-May 12
Hi Andre,

thanks a lot for the reply :-)
I do not need tempro!
I will try to run with less services and see what will happen!

About logon...no, I never enter a password! Is any way to speed this since I never type any password?

Regards,
paulo

Edited by paulobao, 04 May 2012 - 02:25 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

If you never enter a password, do you use an empty password or have use used tools to autologon to Windows?
Posted Image

paulobao

paulobao
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 01-May 12
When I bought the laptop 2 months ago I set a password and even experimented the finger print scanner built in (just for fun...).
But after a while I disabled the login password! Now what I do is to open the lid or press on to start my laptop, no passwords!
What should I check to see if there is any password ?

paulo

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

try this tool to run an exe:

http://technet.micro...ernals/cc300361

if you enter your user account and leave the password empty does the program start correctly or not?
Posted Image

paulobao

paulobao
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 01-May 12
How?

I've downloaded and unzipped!
But when I hit ShellRunas.exe nothing happens!

paulo

AnthonyM1229

AnthonyM1229
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 01-May 12
Well, thanks for your help before, MagicAndre. I don't think I would've found ProcMon when I did, without reading through your tutorial and the associated comments.

So, my computer actually boots in less than 20 seconds...that's awesome, haha. Ever since I first discovered the Diagnostics/Performance Event log (back in my Vista days), I've normally used the boot time figures there, never knowing about the 10 second idle time or whatever, that's tacked on. Oh well--now I know :)

As for the very small delay by startup tools--I've always made a huge effort to keep auto loading junk away from my boot process. I only have one enabled entry in my MSconfig startup tab :) I may even experiment with disabling that and instead setting a scheduled task to start it shortly after I log on, because I don't absolutely need it to run at startup.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

But when I hit ShellRunas.exe nothing happens!

with commandline /reg it shoud register and when you make a rightclick on a exe you should see the entry in the context menu:

Posted Image

So, my computer actually boots in less than 20 seconds...that's awesome, haha.

this is indeed fast (and fluid :D ). You can send Mark an email, he always searches for strange thing users have fixed with Sysinternals tools for his series "The Case of the Unexplained"
http://channel9.msdn...ica/2011/WCL304

this font issue maybe something for his collection and maybe he shows it in one of the videos.
Posted Image

LemonJuice

LemonJuice
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
Interesting topic - I wanted to test if this method would work for me and it didn't. I don't think it's bad though because my system was booting pretty fast already:

- BIOS initialization and device detecion from pressing power on button: 16 seconds (I think we don't have much influence on this anyway)
- Windows 7 startup till desktop becomes visible: 25 seconds
- about 5 seconds till everything becomes fully responsive after visible icon refreshing on the desktop

I got these times using my stopwatch and they are very consistent (unless restarting after a windows update). Considering my computer is pretty low specsed by today's standards I find these results very good. My computer: win 7 32-bit, 2GB RAM, 250GB WD 7200 HD, Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2.10GHz, nVidia 7300 GT. The installed programs that run on startup are: Apache service, Mysql service, a small AutoHotKey script, VirtuaWin, CiDial (a small program that connects to my PPoE connection) and some other small services like PowerDVD, Realtek Audio Manager, Java updater, Nikon Message Center, Adobe Reader and Google Update. But - I run no anti-virus, I only run an AV scan on demand from time to time and I'm trying to keep my system clean.

xbootmgr took almost one hour to complete with 6 reboots and disk defrag but the boot times didn't change at all. I'm in no way criticising this tool, I just want to report that on a system that is not bloated with unwanted programs it may have no effect at all. Most probably the built-in windows prefetcher have been doing its job well automatically.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

run those 2 commands

xperf /tti -i bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl -o 01_summary_boot_start.xml -a boot
xperf /tti -i boot_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl -o 02_summary_boot_end.xml -a boot

now open both XML files and look at the the following values in both files:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="100839" bootDoneViaPostBoot="179939" 

both values should be lower in the 02_summary_boot_end.xml. If not open both ETL files and look at the Ready Boot graph and if both show green and orange the cache was already fine.
Posted Image

LemonJuice

LemonJuice
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

both values should be lower in the 02_summary_boot_end.xml.

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="55121" bootDoneViaPostBoot="79721"
<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="20579" bootDoneViaPostBoot="-1"
So the values are lower in 02_summary_boot_end.xml, however -1 looks strange.

If not open both ETL files and look at the Ready Boot graph and if both show green and orange the cache was already fine.

For boot_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl the graph is mostly green and orange with some very small amounts of blue and even smaller of blacks and reds.

For bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl the graph is mostly black with small amounts of blue.

I'm not sure what that means but I guess most of the cache should have been fine already.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

the boot is much better. Before the optimization it took 55s to boot to the desktop and now it takes 20s.

The -1 shows hat you stopped the trace to early, so Windows was not able to capture all data. Always et the 120s countdown tick down completely.

Black with blue is bad. That's why Windows took so long to boot to the desktop. Orange and green is now fine :) :thumbup :thumbup
Posted Image

LemonJuice

LemonJuice
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

the boot is much better. Before the optimization it took 55s to boot to the desktop and now it takes 20s.

The -1 shows hat you stopped the trace to early, so Windows was not able to capture all data. Always et the 120s countdown tick down completely.

Black with blue is bad. That's why Windows took so long to boot to the desktop. Orange and green is now fine :) :thumbup :thumbup

Okay thanks, I see now how to interpret the data. But these measurements must be way off and very inaccurate because I measured boot time many times before with my stopwatch and I am sure booting to the desktop was consistently 25s and now I learn it was 55s - the difference is too big and something must have gone wrong with how xbootmgr captured all those times. Results using my stopwatch clearly show that there was no speed improvement - at least not greater than 1 second. Perhaps there was some rare coinsidence of Windows performing some update or maintenance cleanup just when xbootmgr rebooted for the first time? The results leave a good impression of speed improvement whereas there was none...

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

The first boot captures the current state. If your Windows took 55s it shows it.

So your "feeling" and you unreliable way to measure the boot time may let you think that it is not faster.
Posted Image

LemonJuice

LemonJuice
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

The first boot captures the current state. If your Windows took 55s it shows it.

So your "feeling" and you unreliable way to measure the boot time may let you think that it is not faster.

Well, the stopwatch certainly doesn't measure my feeling - I don't see how any other method can be more reliable (for any practical use, not theoretical) since the stopwatch shows the practical boot time, it shows what I experience as a user. But maybe xbootmgr measures the time in some other way that is unknown to me. Can you tell me what exactly is measured as bootDoneViaExplorer? When does the measurement start and when exactly does it end?

compsavvy

compsavvy

• 22 posts
  • Joined 01-January 11
@magicandre
Need your help on this. This is a brand new sandy bridge laptop with a greater than 2 minute boot time.
The trace:
https://www.dropbox....vers+power_1.7z

And the log:

[2012/05/21-19:28:47.284] Detected Win7RTM physical (ReadyBoot) prefetcher; the SysMain service is auto-started.
[2012/05/21-19:28:47.300] Registering for auto-run with a 120000 msec delay...
[2012/05/21-19:28:47.300] Completed auto-run change.
[2012/05/21-19:28:47.331] Starting trace...
[2012/05/21-19:28:48.173] Enabled boot logging to 'C:\Windows\system32\boot_base+cswitch+drivers+power_1_km_premerge.etl'
[2012/05/21-19:31:38.349] Detected Win7RTM physical (ReadyBoot) prefetcher; the SysMain service is auto-started.
[2012/05/21-19:31:38.365] Stopping trace...
[2012/05/21-19:31:41.500] Stopped kernel logger.
[2012/05/21-19:31:41.719] Stopped user-mode logger.
[2012/05/21-19:31:41.719] The trace you are capturing "C:\Windows\system32\boot_base+cswitch+drivers+power_1.etl" may contain personally identifiable information, including but not necessarily limited to paths to files accessed, paths to registry accessed and process names. Exact information depends on the events that were logged. Please be aware of this when sharing out this trace with other people.
[2012/05/21-19:32:28.176] Merged ETL file to 'C:\Windows\system32\boot_base+cswitch+drivers+power_1.etl'
[2012/05/21-19:32:28.238] Waiting for prefetcher...
[2012/05/21-19:37:18.695] Gave up waiting for Win7RTM physical prefetcher after 300 seconds.
[2012/05/21-19:37:18.695] Could not wait for prefetcher.
[2012/05/21-19:37:18.695] Stopping trace...
[2012/05/21-19:37:18.789] Couldn't find kernel logger in active logger list.
[2012/05/21-19:37:18.789] Couldn't find user-mode logger in active logger list.
[2012/05/21-19:37:18.789] Unregistering auto-run...
[2012/05/21-19:37:18.789] Completed auto-run change.
Regards

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Can you tell me what exactly is measured as bootDoneViaExplorer? When does the measurement start and when exactly does it end?

The bootDoneViaExplorer key shows the duration of the boot (in milliseconds) until the start of Explorer.exe (desktop appears)

@magicandre
Need your help on this. This is a brand new sandy bridge laptop with a greater than 2 minute boot time.
The trace:

Your Windows boots in 59s to the desktop and is completely booted in 91 seconds.

There is a 10s delay caused by 2 drivers:

<pnpObject name="AFD" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="8579" endTime="15062" duration="6483" prePendTime="6483" /> 
  <pnpObject name="SRTSP" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="4620" endTime="8379" duration="3759" prePendTime="3759" /> 

SRTSP semas to be Symantec and AFD = Windows Winsock driver (seems to be related to Symatec). So update Symantec and look if this fixes it.

Also the bluetooth service takes 10s to start:

serviceTransition name="Bluetooth Device Monitor" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="10740" 

update or disable bluetooth. Also Symantec service is slow to start. Norton Online Backup v2.0 also takes 3.6s to start. Next teamviewer service takes over 6s to start.

Also the launch of all startup programs takes over 30s:

postBootDisturbance="32700" 

Do you really need all of this Sony applications? Try to disable some with autoruns or msconfig.exe
Posted Image

LemonJuice

LemonJuice
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

The bootDoneViaExplorer key shows the duration of the boot (in milliseconds) until the start of Explorer.exe (desktop appears)

Then it looks like the counting starts the moment "Starting Windows" text appears with the animated logo and ends when the "Welcome" screen begins to fade out, which is about 1 second before the desktop becomes visible - then the measurement is consistent with the stopwatch (20s). But what xbootmgr reported as boot time before optimization - 55s - is not true at all. My system never took that long to boot, I know for certain because I measured boot time many times before when I wanted to see how installing/uninstalling certain programs impacted the boot time, and of course before the optimization I did a few more measurements so that I could see any improvement. It is therefore impossible that my measurements were off - certainly not by such a huge margin. Either xbootmgr must have measured the time in a wrong way or maybe there was a rare coinsidence of windows doing some extra unusual tasks, updates, optimizations, etc. - just when xbootmgr did its first reading.

Edited by LemonJuice, 21 May 2012 - 01:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users