How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Hi MagicAndre1981,

Would you mind having a look at my trace?

hal_cpu.gif

I was getting high dpc latencies earlier.

The trace show me that the problem is with hal.dll but I don't know what is it.

Please help me.

win 7 x64

dell e6500, core duo T9800

all drivers and BIOS up to date

post-297780-127867430913_thumb.gif

Hey MagicAndre.

Maybe you could please help me out with my situation as well. I read through the entire post, but the solutions posted for other people just do not seem to work for me.

I brought my computer to a repair shop because of this and I just got my computer back from them and they said it was the Hard Drive that was failing, so they replaced it....needless to say I am still having the issue

Maybe you can decipher whats wrong and help me out... I want to smash this thing already.

I was tracing this while playing a game, and these are the results I got.

post-297992-127891855363_thumb.png

Edited by Chilledchaos

• 2 weeks later...

You've helped so many people, patiently, and created a wonderful guide to walk us through it. I made it almost to the very end, but feel like I've stumbled on the last hurdle.

My CPU is pegged at 80-100%, no iPhone/apple products. Home built computer. Started some weeks ago running slow, thought it was a virus at first.

Anyway, I can't seem to get the symbols to load properly, or they are unable to interpret the data correctly.

It seems like this is the culprit:

0xfffff880041d1b10, , 3650421, 0.013408, 0.002767, 10101.914852, 18.18, 13.647265, 42880.785127

obviously, I have no clue what that belongs to.

I attached CPUZ and screenshot data below. Actual data collected is too big to post. Nforce4 boards are no longer supported. I updated my ethernet controller with an nforce5 driver, seems to work fine. Not sure what to try next.

JAKG-PC.txt

post-299048-127984463862_thumb.png

Edited by Krig

I also don't know how to read the name of the driver. Only cluberti may have an idea how to do it. But he doesn't reply since his last hint (it's a kernel driver).

I was poking around my device manager, saw I had a PCI multi in-out controller. I remember people having problems with graphics cards and multi-card slot readers. Thought to myself hmmm... So I disabled it and now no more interrupts. ::crosses fingers::

It was a really old product I was using to work a touch-screen IIRC. Right now it will just be disabled, but I will pull it later.

Awesome thread. MagicAndre you're a great person for helping all these people, even if you couldn't help me specifically. I learned a lot with your tutorial.

Thanks again!

saw I had a PCI multi in-out controller. ... So I disabled it and now no more interrupts. ::crosses fingers::

It was a really old product I was using to work a touch-screen IIRC. Right now it will just be disabled, but I will pull it later.

Awesome thread. MagicAndre you're a great person for helping all these people, even if you couldn't help me specifically. I learned a lot with your tutorial.

ok, thanks for your compliment. Great to hear, that disabling the controller solves your issue :)

Hello. I tried your succestions. I see the problem in ACPI.sys. I installed lastest Ethernet, Sound, Chipset and Bios driver. My CPU is Q9400. I now looking to CPU's information. CPU is starting on 2 core and CPU's degree is 80. CPU going to die. Please help me. I'm waiting for your reply.

Note: Sorry for English problem. My English is bad.

Edited by Emrets61

upload the file, please

hey andre, I think I have the same problem as you with the overload of system resources when my download speed is too much. I followed your instructions and it came out to be the file NDIS.sys thats been screwing me over. However, I have no idea where to find a driver for this..with some research i found that my network controller is a nforce 500 sli but can't find any new drivers for it. Is this the correct thing I'm searching for or is it something else? Thanks for the help so far

Do you have a different network card to test? If yes, disable the nForce network device and use the other card. Is the ndis.sys usage gone? If not, it maybe caused by tools which affect networking like Firewalls or AntiVirus tools.

Hi,

I have been searching all over the place to find a layman's solution to stop this annoying system interrupt problem. Your solution seems the right approach and therefore I have (a) downloaded Web installer, selected Win32 Development Tools and installed them; (B) Ran wpt_x86.msi; © however, on running xperf –on latency, I got following error: "xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: Access is denied. <0x5>". I don't know how to proceed. I admit, I am only a normal PC user without any specific expertise in hardware/ software/ programs and I would appreciate if you would please elaborate how to get over the obstacles.

Thank you for your time and help.

VDev

How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC (Deferred Procedure Call) and interrupts?