How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Hi, I'm wondering if I spoke too soon in my last post. Maybe I hadn't rebooted or something (which I have now) but now, he says rather tentatively, it seems to be behaving itself. So I can't upload a new trace yet because it's not exhibiting the same behaviour. But I'm not totally sure its fixed yet so I'll keep my eye on it over the next few days and report back.

In the meantime can you tell me....1) Is this sptd driver problem also likely to have caused the other issues I mentioned briefly in post #390?...and 2) Are there likely to be any undesired effects from uninstalling the driver? I think Active ISO Burner may use it that I have installed but any others?

Many many thanks for your help on this. The problem has been bugging me for ages so if you have fixed it, which is looking promising at the mo, I will be really in your debt.

Regards,

hottroc.

I've started getting 40% cpu usage (windows cpu/mem gadget, although task manager reports 0%). I tried the steps at the start of this thread and the result is "Unknown" in the DPC CPU usage summary and "PCIIDEX.SYS" in the interrupt CPU usage summary. Any ideas on what to do next would be great.

Me again, it seems yet again I spoke too soon. The issue has returned. I think this proves it is not the sptd driver which was completely uninstalled. I have attached a link to a new trace.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas what might cause the interrupt problem? Are there any other things that show as UNKNOWN in this situation?

Thanks.

Link:

http://cid-ac6270209775c627.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=AC6270209775C627!162

Regards,

hottroc.

PS I increased the buffersize in this trace as per one of your earlier posts.

EDIT - having looked at this new trace now myself I see that "UNKOWN" has disappeared, replaced by something else (USBPORT.SYS) so maybe the Unknown WAS to do with the sptd driver but it was somehow masking the real driver/problem. I wonder if this could point to the external USB-SATA drive caddy/cradle I have attached? That might make sense perhaps? Although I think I tried unplugging it in the past to no avail but I'll check.

Edited by hottroc

Tried it out and it seems to have worked, CPU now ~2%. Fingers crossed all is well. Cheers

ok, nice to hear this.

EDIT - having looked at this new trace now myself I see that "UNKOWN" has disappeared, replaced by something else (USBPORT.SYS) so maybe the Unknown WAS to do with the sptd driver but it was somehow masking the real driver/problem. I wonder if this could point to the external USB-SATA drive caddy/cradle I have attached? That might make sense perhaps? Although I think I tried unplugging it in the past to no avail but I'll check.

it maybe the USB HDD. Does it happen if you unplug the HDD?

it maybe the USB HDD. Does it happen if you unplug the HDD?

Hi, well when the problem occurred I tried turning off and disconnecting the ext. HDD but it made no difference. So now I'm waiting to see if the problem occurs after having rebooted and leaving the ext HDD disconnected completeley. We should know soon enough.

Hi, now we know, the problem re-occurs even with the external HDD caddy completely disconnected. So it's not that.

Tbh, I was hoping there was a way to find out the cause of the interrupt problem without going through a process of elimination of every hardware and software driver possible. I was hoping that was what this topic would give me.

Hi guys, wanted to ask for some help.

I've been trying for ages to fix a very annoying problem with my computer which I've been experiencing since last year.

Whenever I use Skype and play a game or play music while playing, I can hear popping noises from my speakers, which lead me to believe that it was a problem with the drivers but updating did not fix it at all.

Yesterday I found this thread and I used Latencymon while the popping noises were occurring and it tells me that the responsible driver that is causing the popping noises is this one - "i8042prt.sys"

Isn't this a Windows 7 system file? If so, how can I fix my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Illisvyel