How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Run this command in background:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d DPC_Interrupt.etl

and do your normal work (DON'T RUN LATENCYMON!!!!!!!!!!!) If you have issues (drops), go to the CMD prompt and press a key to dump the data into the file. The file is limited to 256MB, so it should capture the last few minutes so that it includes the required data.

Run this command in background:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d DPC_Interrupt.etl

and do your normal work (DON'T RUN LATENCYMON!!!!!!!!!!!) If you have issues (drops), go to the CMD prompt and press a key to dump the data into the file. The file is limited to 256MB, so it should capture the last few minutes so that it includes the required data.

Thanks, but I get the following error trying to run that command, even though DPC_Interrupt.etl doesn't already exist!

"xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0xb7)."

you get this error because you run again a tool which use ETW (Process Explorer, Process Hacker, resource Monitor). You must use Process Explorer 12.04 because this is the last version which doesn't use ETW.

No you're wrong. I'm wasn't running any of those tools.

I also use Afterburner and it works, so one of of the other tools causes it.

Ot have you not stopped an older trace? Run xperf -stop and try it again.

I'm pretty sure I've rebooted since last doing a trace (and I did stop it anyway), but I did xperf -stop just to be sure and got

"xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: The instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI data provider. (0x1069)."

I tried shutting down some of the stuff and then it worked, but it's still working now I've restarted it all, so I don't know what was going on!

It's still going to be almost impossible for me to know whether I've had DPC/ISR/kernel latency issues without a program running that shows this though. I might notice the odd cut-out in sound or stuttering TV but that could be due to any number of unrelated problems.

I'll probably uninstall Comodo and Virtualbox at some point and compare the ndis.sys, netbt.sys and kernel latency without them installed to see if I can confirm they're definitely pushing things higher.

DPCs and ISRs are fine:

Elapsed Time, > 128 usecs AND <= 256 usecs, 5, or 0.00%

and your AMD Radeon HD 6970 is bored with a resolution of 1280*720 (Why not use 1980*1080? Your Dell ST2220M supports FullHD and the GPU is fast enough). Deus Ex - Human Revolution uses 1 core heavily. But I can see that the Audio service causes 7s spikes (AudioEng.Dll!CAudioProcessor::ProcessEachAPO which calls the audio drivers - MBTHX64.dll/Creative Audio Processing Object Module) every 6s. So try other audio settings in Deus Ex (no EAX and other things) The Realtek High Definition Audio is a cheap chip which is ok, but not the best.

DPCs and ISRs are fine:

Elapsed Time, > 128 usecs AND <= 256 usecs, 5, or 0.00%

and your AMD Radeon HD 6970 is bored with a resolution of 1280*720 (Why not use 1980*1080? Your Dell ST2220M supports FullHD and the GPU is fast enough). Deus Ex - Human Revolution uses 1 core heavily. But I can see that the Audio service causes 7s spikes (AudioEng.Dll!CAudioProcessor::ProcessEachAPO which calls the audio drivers - MBTHX64.dll/Creative Audio Processing Object Module) every 6s. So try other audio settings in Deus Ex (no EAX and other things) The Realtek High Definition Audio is a cheap chip which is ok, but not the best.

Thanks for checking the log.

I play most games on my TV, which only supports 720p or 1080i (and it's a CRT so can't properly resolve even 720p I don't think, plus there's the flicker with 1080i).

I'll try tweaking the audio settings. It seems to be OK after rebooting, but does stutter a bit from time to time (although that may just be as it's loading data) so perhaps I can get it smoother with different settings.

EDIT: Seems there's no audio settings in Deux Ex (other than volumes) so I can't do much there. There is a separate THX TruStudio Pro driver for this motherboard, which just gives effects which I don't want, so I haven't got that installed at the moment as then I have to disable all the effects, prevent it loading at startup, etc. Maybe I'll grab a trace with another game and you can check if that shows the same issue with the Audio service.

Edited by doveman

• 2 weeks later...

hello magicandre1981,

Ive got some troubles with my pc. after my last LAN party.

(High CPU3 (100%) usage, caused by Interrupts, resulting in Audio clicks and popping, dpc latency checker says everythings ok, checked and installed chipset graca raid controller audio drivers etc, made systemrollback (made before the LANparty without problems), graca memtest, memtest+86 on RAMs, switched graca's, switched psu cords of the gracas)

I recorded few seconds and I would appreciate if you could have a look on this trace:

http://www.mediafire.com/?s6xj9k81lt2on7b

thank you

Edited by littlegoliath

the link doesn't work. It says file is deleted.

wow that was fast.. while your were answering, I repacked the .etl into a .rar and reuploaded the file and updated the link adress and deleted the old one, I'm sorry!

Edited by littlegoliath