How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

EDIT 6.2.2011:

PROBLEM IS FIXED BY INSTALLING THIS UPDATE http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=976972 !

Hi,

it seems to be the best forum to discuss my problem, considering MagicAndre1981 is on it :)

Summary of the problem: high interrupt and DPC count (but no high latency !!!), taking 100% of the second core of my CPU, when using patched 32 bit kernel to enable PAE.

System:

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4000+

mb: Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3, nforce 560 chipset

OS: Windows 7, 34 bit with patched kernel to enable PAE and access the full 4GB of memory, instead of only 3GB (i have a printer and a scanner that don't have 64 bit drivers, so i have to stick to 32bit)

storage: 2 sata hdds in raid0 + another ata hdd

driver updates:

- only audio driver update listed for my MB/OS combination on Gigabyte's site, downloaded and installed it

- only HDMI driver update is listed for my Chipset/OS combination on Nvidia's site, i don't have HDMI audio, but tried to install it just to be sure, and as expected it says that i don't have such hardware.

BIOS updates:

currently using bios version F5, tried F6C a some time ago, but it didn't have the SATA RAID part of the bios, so i have switched back to F5. I see that there is F6H version available now instead of F6C, i have to try it, but haven't done so yet.

The problem shows up after about a day of use and is temporarily cured by reboot. The problem started after i have used a patch that allows the 32 bit kernel of Windows 7 to utilise all 4GB of memory that i have installed, instead of only using 3GB. The patch documentation says that it only enables the PAE in kernel by changing some licensing information, i.e. it doesn't add code or change Microsoft code. When i boot the old kernel (non-PAE), i don't have the problem. Using xpref to analyse the cause showed both storport.sys in funcion RaidpAdapterInterruptRoutine and "Unknown" module in funcion 0x88685bf8 with about the same unusual high number of interrupts. I had both Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% installed, both install the sptd.sys driver. Following advice on another forum i removed both , but that didn't remove sptd.sys so i had to download the sptd standalone package and use it's uninstall funcion to successfuly remove sptd.sys. After removing it, the problem still appeared, but there was a difference: again one of the drivers with high interrupts was storport.sys/RaidpAdapterInterruptRoutine but the other one now was usbport.sys/USBPORT_InterruptService (instead of the "Unknown" module when the sptd.sys was installed). I have two USB controllers listed in device manager:

"standard openhcd usb host controller", this one is showed as the parrent of all usb 1.1 devices, no matter in which port i plug them

"standard enhanced pci to usb host controller", this one is showed as the parrent of all usb 2.0 device, again it doesn't matter in which port they are plugged

both "standard enhanced pci to usb host controller" and "nvidia nforce serial ata controller" are sharing IRQ 22, which i think is the cause of the problem.

the devices with usb 2.0 interface, attached to the system, are a card reader and a canon canoscan 3000 scanner. I think their drivers should not be causing the problem, because they don't handle irqs directly.

This article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930261 deals with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in storport.sys on machines with nvidia chipset using 4gb or more memory, but with Vista as the OS and the solution is to install the latest service pack, obviously Windows 7 has newer drivers than a Vista service pack.

It seems that i am close to the solution, but i have yet to connect the dots, so any help would be appreciated.

on my todo list:

- Disable the usb 2.0 controller when the high interrupt condition occure to see whether it will fix it. It is not a permanent fix, because i need usb2.0

- Try to make the usb 2.0 controller and the sata controller use different irqs. I don't know how to accomplish this - both are onboard devices, so i can't move them around pci slots, and windows 7 doesn't allow the user to change irqs on devices.

- try the latest bios (hoping that Gigabyte didn't forget to include the raid support in F6H as they did in F6C)

Regards,

Velko

Edited by mrvip

Thanks for the reply, could you point me to the discussion about usb and older nforce chipsets? Also you say PCI(E), do you mean that it should be PCI _Express_ exactly, or PCI would be ok as well? Is there any way to resolve the IRQ conflict (force sata and usb to use different irqs)?

I was having this slowing issue amd realized my cpu was at 90%+ usage on each core. I followed your guide (great btw, very clear) and these are the results. Can you help me translate the results into knowledge on what I can do to solve??

SYS SPECS:

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO USB3

AMD PHENOM II X2 (X4) 3.2GHz

4GB (2x2) G. SKILL RIPJAWS 1600MHz DDR3

COOLER MASTER V8

WD 500GB GREEN HDD, SEAGATE 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Win.7 Home Edition 32 Bit. If I can fix this problem, have 64 bit pro that I will be installing.

Just built this system up and ive been having this prblem since.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/410/lolxb.png

post-311834-0-02702600-1292043507_thumb.

Edited by demokid18

MagicAndre, excellent tutorial. However, when I got the table, the module that was eating up all my CPU was "Unknown", and the function was "0xfffffa80076e15a0". This was in the Interrupt CPU Usage Table.

In the DCP CPU Usage table, the big boy was a very similar process; Module "Unknown", and function "0xfffffa80076e10a0".

Do you have any insight? I would attach the ELT, but it's 54 megs...

please select "Load Symbols" before opening the Summary Table.

You can also compress the file to a 7z or RAR archive and upload it to your SkyDrive. Send me the link to the file as a Personal Message.

Hi,

I read your guide and am having the same problem that ogiwan was having on the first page except it was a different function. I did confirm that I had the Load Symbols selected and it was still coming up as unknown. Not sure what I am doing worng. Any insight would greatly appreciated and thank you in advance

I was having this slowing issue amd realized my cpu was at 90%+ usage on each core. I followed your guide (great btw, very clear) and these are the results. Can you help me translate the results into knowledge on what I can do to solve??

the ATAport.sys is 1 cause. Which IDE/ATAPI drive do you still use? have you installed all drivers from the ASUS page?

the HDA driver tells you have an issue with your sound driver. Do you use the latest driver for your "ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC"?

the ndis.sys is part of network. Do you use the Realtek® 8111E Gigabit LAN controller? Are you using the latest driver?

the ATAport.sys is 1 cause. Which IDE/ATAPI drive do you still use? have you installed all drivers from the ASUS page?

the HDA driver tells you have an issue with your sound driver. Do you use the latest driver for your "ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC"?

the ndis.sys is part of network. Do you use the Realtek® 8111E Gigabit LAN controller? Are you using the latest driver?

Updated my chipset drivers yesterday (problem has occured since then). Just now updated my HDA driver and LAN driver. What do you mean by IDE/ATAPI drive? I understand it has to do with storage but what you mean by the drive part?

Thanks btw Andre!

Updated my chipset drivers yesterday (problem has occured since then).

can you undo this and use the old ones?

What do you mean by IDE/ATAPI drive? I understand it has to do with storage but what you mean by the drive part?

IDE = the old 40pin parallel connection cable.

I read your guide and am having the same problem that ogiwan was having on the first page except it was a different function. I did confirm that I had the Load Symbols selected and it was still coming up as unknown. Not sure what I am doing worng. Any insight would greatly appreciated and thank you in advance

The ndis.sys is using very often high DPC usage.

Do you use the latest drivers for your wireless adapter? (Linksys WMP600N Wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual-Band, Intel® 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection) Also update AVG. Why do you still use AVG8?

Does the high CPU usage also occurs when you disconnect the WD 10EAVS External USB Device? I can see that the USBport.sys has some impact.

The only upgrades I have seen are the ones you have to pay for, but tbh, I havent been looking that hard. As for the drivers, yes, all of them are up to date, I confirmed that before I ran the scan and Im not sure about having the externals on or off, I usually have them on cause I do a lot of work off of them.

Updated my chipset drivers yesterday (problem has occured since then).

can you undo this and use the old ones?

What do you mean by IDE/ATAPI drive? I understand it has to do with storage but what you mean by the drive part?

IDE = the old 40pin parallel connection cable.

Both the drives I use are SATA. 1 is a Seagate Baracuda ST31000333AS ATA, and the second is a Western Digital Green drive WDC WD5000AACS-00G8B1 ATA both using ATAPI-8.

I've reinstalled the drivers from ASUS' site and disc several times in all combinations. Have also reinstalled the OS using 32 and 64 bit Home Edition and Pro. (Win. 7)

I've run the test several times with ataport.sys being the number 1 cause each time. Do you think this is a Windows 7 problem specifically? Wondering if I went back to XP if the problem would be solved.

dpc.png

Edited by demokid18