How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andre,

I have the same problem, My new customized computer that freezes and unfreezes every second. I opened the resource monitor right clicked and clicked search online and found this forum.

I can see you are saving everybody's system with your knowledge. Thanks for the help!

I ran xperf.exe as you explained before: Here is the link to it with an image of the resource Monitor:

http://cid-a8455a3885dfc22e.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Documents

I also uploaded my DPC interupt file which I don't know how to read.

My system:

------------------------------

SNA Pedestal, convertible to 6U Rack Server Case 1000W 2

External 5.25" Drive Bays

2X MB-INTEL S5520SCR Xeon MB

Intel S5520SC - Motherboard - SSI EEB - LGA1366 Socket -

Serial ATA-300 (RAID) - 2 x Gigabit Ethernet - FireWire - HD

Audio PN#S5520SCR

CP-INT XEON QC X5650 2.66Ghz 12 Intel® Xeon® Processor X5650 (12M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 6.40

GT/s 95W PN#BX80614X5650

IC-KG DDR3 4GB 1333MHz RG EC... Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 DIMM ECC REG

W/PARITY CL9 DR X4 W/TS

HD-ST 1TB 7K 32MC SATA300

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 - Hard drive - 1 TB - SATA-300 - 7200

rpm, 32 MB

VD-PNY Quadro 2000 Bulk

PNY Quadro 2000 1GB PCIe 192 Cuda Cores Retail

---------------------------------

Thx a bunch!

Hi,

Hoping you can help me too please.

I've been having high interrupt problems for some time. Something intermittently starts taking up 30% or so, usually after 24 -48 hours, and is fixed by a reboot till the next time. I can't track it down. I have all the latest drivers I can get but that's not too easy on Windows 7 64-bit.

I followed your instructions to create my DPC_Interrupt.etl file but I'm having a real job interpreting it. My first attempt I left the xperf running for a couple of minutes or so and the file was huge, taking hours to load etc so I deleted and tried again the next time, but I left it running only about 20 seconds. This time I could work with it but I don't know if I'm doing it right and would appreciate your help. Problem is I looked into Skydrive but it will only let me upload a 50Mb max file. Even this 2nd attempt is 350Mb so I don't know what to do. However...

...based on reading through this whole topic, if I'm reading it right the problem is being caused by "Unknown" (YES I have loaded my symbols). Now this means then that I am supposed to do a whole system memory dump instead, which I have also done. But that is 2Gb size. When I try to analyze it in WinDBG it shows that the crash was manually initiated (which it was by me using the Ctrl-ScrollLock x2 trick) but I can't make sense of the rest of it.

Please can you advise how I should proceed from here.

Thanks.

Hi, sorry about the delay. I can't seem to zip it or rar it. Maybe because of the size. I can see the file in Explorer but when I try from Winzip or WinRar it can't seem to find the file even though I have Hidden & System files showing and I've Run as Admin. I'll keep trying.

OK, thanks, is there any way to find out what "UNKNOWN" is?

I will run a chkdsk tonight. But how can I check I'm using AHCI? Is it in the BIOS settings?

Edited by hottroc

I can't find any reference to it in the BIOS or anywhere else. Closest I can get is ACPI.

The MB is an Asrock 775i945GZ and the Hard drives are both pretty modern SATA ones.

What do you suggest next?

Edited by hottroc

Well neither of those approaches work tbh, that's why I'm here.

I've had quite a few problems with hard drives before,....they never seem to last longer than 18 months or so, often report that they are predicting failure (even when nearly new) etc.

I've tried different cables and SATA ports when I've had those problems before and they've not made a difference and I've ended up buying new hdd's. But I didn't think the problem was related to the interrupt problem....

If I recall a long time ago I had the same problem with interrupts in XP and Microsoft eventually issued something but I cant remember what, that fixed it. It may have been SATA driver updates or something. And the problem only came back when I installed Windows 7.

Also I have tried killing processes one by one to see if the problem goes away once it has started happening but it's impossible to do the other way round because the problem is not there all the time. You can't do a clean boot, wait 48 hours or more then start a driver, wait 48 more hours start another etc.