How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

I'm currently using the MSI 990FXA-GD80 system whilst I fit the other system in a case. I left LatencyMon running whilst MP was playing LiveTV for about 45minutes and the highest latency was 265us and the highest drivers netbt.sys 0.288, ntoskrnl.exe 0.122, tcpip.sys 0.09, ndis.sys 0.08 and ataport.sys shows 0. Since returning and using the browser this has changed a bit to netbt.sys 0.288, CLASSPNP.SYS 0.22, ndis.sys 0.20, ntoskrnl 0.122 tcpip.sys 0.112.

RACtask isn't disabled on this system, so whilst that was definitely causing the freezes/continuity errors every hour, perhaps that was more a symptom of something more fundamental being wrong.

Once I've got the other system in the case, I'll do the tests Kessu suggested (Safe Mode, TV card removed) and check the latency again.

EDIT: Hmm, I left LatencyMon running (although the timer has reset and currently shows 02:43) and just had a look and it shows a warning and Highest reported DPC routine execution time as 23379296410126.7500 (netbt.sys). The drivers tabs only shows netbt.sys as 6196 DPC count, 0.288ms though so perhaps LatencyMon is a bit buggy. Actually, I've just checked and I'm using v3 and there's a v4.02 so I'd better upgrade!

Edited by doveman

Hello,

I need a help with pc.

I've noticed that cpu usage often is very high even if I move mouse pointer for example it's raising. This is frustrating because of low performance.

I've made a clean install with this same result.

PC spec:

Amd Athlon x2 6400+

Asus M2N

Nvidia Geforce 9800GT

3GB RAM

Samsung 250GB

PSU 400W

Windows 7 operating system

Etl file - http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/14152638/file.html

Let me know if other information is needed.

I would appreciate for any support.

Edited by thermalfake

Hi ALL,

Please help :) Search on this tread and other forum, tried and tried, not can't solve my high DPC problem.

The issue: CPU usage is at 50%.

System:

HP DV7-1175NR

Intel® core tm2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2 GHZ

Link to skydrive:

4GB

64X

Service pk2

https://skydrive.live.com/?#cid=438C507BF92C6DA9&id=438C507BF92C6DA9!106

All text files

THANK YOU ALL in advance!

Gracis

Hello everyone, I made an account just to view this whole tutorial.

I am running win7 on an iMac. I have had NO ISSUE with it for a very long time. About a week ago I started having what I call "hangups" where my computer would stutter and freeze (and the audio would make a sound like HHRRRGG) for one or two seconds. Measuring my latency, I would also get lag spikes. I tried updating my wireless router software, but it did not help. (NOTE: this ONLY happens when I am using the internet. if I am listening to music or watching shows WITHOUT using the wireless internet, the CPU spikes do not happen.)

I have followed MagicAndre's tutorial and it has been VERY helpful. However, I am not sure about what exactly I am doing. I am not an expert.

Here is a screenshot of the data I found:

http://i.imgur.com/aKdQM.jpg

(note: when I expand the "ndis.sys" tree, it says "ndisPeriodicReceivesTimer" occupies the next largest time period)

It looks like it is a problem with NDIS.sys, which corresponds to what Andre says about needing to update the WLAN drivers.

I have the fileversion.txt that Andre mentions. I do not know what the driver name for my WLAN will look like. I do not know where to go to update my WLAN driver either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

select the interval, click "clone selection", go to the "CPU sampling per process" graph, load the symbol, display the summary table of the CPU sampling, activate the stack column and move the CPU usage type (DPC/ISR, regular) to the left side to sort it. Now expend the stack at DPC and look which process causes the CPU usage. If this is too complicated, upload the trace file (zip it first!).

select the interval, click "clone selection", go to the "CPU sampling per process" graph, load the symbol, display the summary table of the CPU sampling, activate the stack column and move the CPU usage type (DPC/ISR, regular) to the left side to sort it. Now expend the stack at DPC and look which process causes the CPU usage. If this is too complicated, upload the trace file (zip it first!).

I tried to follow what you were saying, but I don't think I was going it right. Anyways, what program should I use to zip it? It is 1.14 gigs...

Or if you could upload some screenshots of how to do it, that might also work.

EDIT:

I got to the CPU Sampling by process Table. http://i.imgur.com/ICWZB.jpg (note: the blacked-out process is an online game and the game client running. This uses the wlan which triggers the hangup issue)

I activated the STACK column. Now how do I do the last part you are talking about? "(DPC/ISR, regular) to the left side to sort it."

Edited by Malumen

activate the DPC/ISR column and drag it to the left side. Columns on the left side of the yellow line order the output. Now expand the DPC CPU usage entry and look which processes cause it. If this is too complicated upload the zipped ETL file and send me a link.

ok, I got the file. 1GB uses 13GB of RAM in xperfview :lol:

The trace has 1 large spike and this is the HAL.dll withthe function HalpHpetProgramRolloverTimer. Hpet = High Precision Event Timer. Try to disable this.

Also next time run this:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d DPC_Interrupt.etl

this limits the size to 256MB.

Alright I have sent you a PM with the download link to the .zip of the DPC_Interrupt.etl file

I hope you can help me figure out what is wrong and how I can fix it! Thanks!

@Malumen

my last reply was directed to you.

Hmm... Odd. Before posting my last reply I had checked the thread several times.

How did you manage to figure this out MagicAndre? When I had first run through the steps I thought it was the WLAN driver (which I will still update).

And how do I disable this HAL.dll thing??

EDIT: I just tried to update the driver for my Atheros WLAN adapter which I thought would help fix it. It says the driver is version "8.0. ...." whereas the one I found on the Internet says it is version "9.2. ..." but it will not allow me to update to this new .cab file (the manual updater says the driver I have is the latest version...).

Edited by Malumen