How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

the trace you gave me doesn't show the high CPU usage. Your 80 is idle for 80%.

But I can see that you use ProcessHacker. Inside the tool click on Hacker->Options->advanced and uncheck the option "enable cycle based CPU usage". Now restart ProcessHacker. Do you still have the high CPU usage reported?

I disabled it and now the CPU graph is more diverse ranging from even 15% to 60% so I think it's okay .. Hope it doesn't escalates up to 100% again where I can't even use the mouse. Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I have got similar problem with my DELL XPS 15 l502x - high DPC spikes.

Interesting is that when I have spikes and change my Power Plan spikes disappear for short time - then they come back.

Can you have a look at my etl file and advise me what to do?

Thanks!

Here is url : http://www.speedyshare.com/S4Cqj/DPC-Interrupt.etl

You have

Total = 144 for module Wdf01000.sys
Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 2, or 1.39%

Total = 36937 for module ntoskrnl.exe
Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 7, or 0.02%

Total = 296 for module nvlddmkm.sys
Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 1, or 0.34%

Total = 1521 for module tcpip.sys
Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 1, or 0.07%
Total, 1521

You have some some spikes. The tcpip.sys comes from Chrome, The kernel has some Power management operations. Which powerplan do you use? Also try to disable Core parking. Does this fix it?

I use High Perfomance power plan. I disabled Core parking but it does not fix anything :(

Also I am uploading LatencyMon results. O and on strange thing: every time I open minecraft.exe my computer seems to be working better - peaks are really rare.

Edited by harekowicz

Hi Magic Andre and everyone else -

I've sifted through countless google search pages, Microsoft forum threads, Tomshardware forum threads, any forum that I could possible find and have ended up here...

I'm hoping one of you can help me smooth out my PC problem I can't get away from.

I have constant high spikes in CPU usage; LatencyMon blames it on USBPORT.SYS.

I have constant audio and visual problems (cackling and FPS loss) during these CPU spikes.

Using Windows 7 Ultimate

500w powersupply

MOBO: Biostar A870U3

CPU: AMD 965 BE Deneb

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

Here is my .etl file - Use your Magic! :D

If you need any other information that would help you help me, please let me know.

I feel I have every single driver updated, I've reformatted a few times, I've updated every driver manually and also used DriverGenius software to upload all the drivers. My computer may seem to be fine for a little bit but the problem will always come back.

Edited by bryizzle

you have uSB issues:

Total = 1241669 for module USBPORT.SYS
Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 2, or 0.00%
Total, 1241669

The usb drivers polls for devices every 4s:

post-70718-0-58169500-1356672032_thumb.p

remove USB devices like your Logitech G35 Headset and look which device causes the issues.

you have uSB issues:

Total = 1241669 for module USBPORT.SYS
Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 2, or 0.00%
Total, 1241669

The usb drivers polls for devices every 4s:

post-70718-0-58169500-1356672032_thumb.p

remove USB devices like your Logitech G35 Headset and look which device causes the issues.

I recently installed a Zalman Heatsink/Fan on my CPU and I think I had unnecessarily tied up some of the power (I had things connected to each other that didn't even need to be connected, I know that's vague but I don't know how else to describe it). I cleared up that issue.

My USB devices are my Das Keyboard, my Logitech G35 headset, and my mionix 5000 mouse.

I connected both USB connecters for my Das Keyboard to the back, I've put my Mionix 5000 mouse also connected to the back (by back I mean Mobo) and my Logitech is connected to the Top of my PC (I have a LianLi case that has a slot on the top).

So I made some USB changes and cleared up what I thought may be a power leak or some crap and it all seems to work so far. If the cackling comes back, Ill be back, if not, I want to thank you very much for your time!

Right. I'm really considering reverting back to my old system and RMA this MOBO. My friend was experiencing some of the same issues like this, and he sent his kit in, and when the new one arrived he saw none of the errors. When the new stuff gets here I will try again.

ok. Please reply here when you get the new Mobo and tell us if it is fixed or not.

Hello again! It's taken forever, but I finally got myself a brand new mobo. My supplier refused the RMA claming it was my own fault that some pins had been, quote: "Bent out of shape." When I look back onto the CPU socket there is several pins missing, and nowhere to be found, so I take out my jewellers lupe to see if I can spot the break points, and the pins are missing entirely. Called ASUS and got a man to come pick the board up, and he gave me a Z77 Sabertooth in return, as a way of saying "We're sorry."

Happy to relay that the CPU is working flawlessly, just ran Prime95 for 9 hours without a glitch.

So those pins missing were the culprits.