How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Hi! I do experience spikes and drops. Please help :)

I have got DELL XPS 15. I've found out that ndis and usbport causes most troubles and I have already updated particular drivers but it seems it hasn't solved the problem.

Here ia URL to my trace: My link

Hello,

I've been having issues with audio playback skipping on this PC I've recently built, and I can't seem to solve it on my own so I'd like to ask for your help.

I've Googled and tried pretty much every common solution, such as:

Drivers: Have all the latest Chipset, audio and LAN drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website. GPU is Radeon 68xx, and I've updated the drivers for that recently.

BIOS: C-states, Speedstep and Turbo Boost are turned off. Everything else I don't use (integrated audio, USB 3.0 controller, serial port, etc.) are turned off as well. All power-saving options are disabled if possible.

Windows: All power-saving options are disabled, the power scheme is set to High Performance. System sounds are off, processor scheduling is set to "background services". Most unnecessary Windows services and Aero are disabled, and the only non-Windows program I have on startup is Daemon Tools Lite.

Other programs: No anti-virus running in the background, Windows Firewall is off as well.

Some other things to note:

-I'm running a USB audio DAC and the dropouts/skips only seem to occur with this device, the integrated audio chip seems to be working without problems. But the same DAC/setup works without problems on my laptop, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem.

I've tried all the other USB ports on the motherboard, but they all have the same issue. I've read USB 3.0 ports could potentially have issues with audio playback, so I turned those off as I have no USB 3.0 devices anyway.

-Disabling the (wired) network device in the Windows Device Manager temporarily doesn't solve the issue.

-The problem seems to be with the "INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES", which spikes to 1500-4000 sometimes, the ISR/DPC latency seems to be relatively low (below 200 µs), so I'm not sure how to interpret that, as from reading this thread, most people have an issue with high DPC.

-The "hard page fault count" also builds up over time.

Please let me know if you need more info, I've attached a screenshot and the log from LatencyMon below.

Thank you!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CONCLUSION

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:02:29 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Computer name: 123

OS version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)

Hardware: P67A-UD3-B3, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz

Logical processors: 4

Processor groups: 1

RAM: 4079 MB total

CPU SPEED

Reported CPU speed: 3309,0 MHz

Measured CPU speed: 2158,0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4088,857662

Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4,655696

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 169,365101

Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2,644106

MEASURED SMI, IPI AND CPU STALLS

The SMI, IPI and CPU stalls value represents the highest measured interval that a CPU did not respond while having its maskable interrupts disabled.

Highest measured SMI or CPU stall (µs) 3,561905

REPORTED ISRs

Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 45,421578

Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0,112664

Driver with highest ISR total time: USBPORT.SYS - Poortstuurprogramma voor USB 1.1 en 2.0, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0,193451

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 499048

ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0

ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0

ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0

ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0

ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs

DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 115,249320

Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - Poortstuurprogramma voor USB 1.1 en 2.0, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0,439076

Driver with highest DPC total execution time: USBPORT.SYS - Poortstuurprogramma voor USB 1.1 en 2.0, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 1,008420

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 1562516

DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0

DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0

DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0

DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0

DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: latmon.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 285

Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 250

Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 89612,281656

Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0,143697

Number of processes hit: 6

PER CPU DATA

CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 8,952294

CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 45,421578

CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 1,154993

CPU 0 ISR count: 499048

CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 115,249320

CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 5,666736

CPU 0 DPC count: 1529534

CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1,264642

CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0

CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0

CPU 1 ISR count: 0

CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 61,477183

CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0,038436

CPU 1 DPC count: 3482

CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1,457896

CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0

CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0

CPU 2 ISR count: 0

CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 102,457540

CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0,258378

CPU 2 DPC count: 24770

CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0,852683

CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0

CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0

CPU 3 ISR count: 0

CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 80,678150

CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0,057198

CPU 3 DPC count: 4730

post-377884-0-92380700-1368301465_thumb.

Hi Andre,

I had the bright idea to check the components' manufacturers' websites for drivers rather than the latest ones my motherboard's manufacturer put up for download.

So this might be worth a try for others who have tried "everything", try to find the model number of the component(s) that is giving you problems, and manually update the drivers.

In my case I updated all the chipset drivers related to PCI bus and USB controllers, and also the drivers for my NIC.

This seems to have fixed my issues; I occasionally still get a spike, but these are so rare I can live with it.

Thanks anyway though, it's really rare to see someone so selflessly helpful nowadays!

Been having issues with erratic mouse behavior in game (negative acceleration and cursor pointing downward randomly) with 3 different mice in all games. I did a ton of hardware tests and came to the conclusion either my motherboard is faulty or i have driver conflicts.

I also ran xperf while running Battlefield 3, but the file is huge and i'm having trouble interpreting the results.

The tests seem to point to USBPORT.sys as the main culprit; i tried updating my drivers, re installing windows etc., but nothing worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Edited by 3Seven

look for IRQ sharing. Which other devices share the IRQ of the USB controller?

I only have 2 USB devices (mouse / keyboard) and they seem to be on: Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller 1E26 - IRQ = 23

Where i do see USB sharing is on IRQ 16. The devices sharing IRQ 16 are:

1. Intel USB Enhanced Host Controller 1E2D

2. Intel PCI Express Root Port 1 1E10

3. Intel PCI Express Root Port 5 1E18

4. Intel Management Engine Interface

5. Xeon Processor PCI Express Root Port 0151

PC's a new build ~ 3 months old, worked fine for a month or so.

Specs:

i5-3570k

Asrock z77 Extreme4

Intel 330 SSD

WD Blue HDD

ATI HD 5850

Corsair HX750

8 Gig's GSKILL 1600

Edited by 3Seven

the ETL show no issues. The DPC and ISR values don't reach the 1024µs. Connect the mouse to a different USB port.

That's weird, i've tried plugging all 3 of my mice to every port with the same erratic mouse behavior, guess my issue is related to something else then.

Like i said, worked fine for a month before problem started. Thanks for the help, i appreciate it.

do you use a generic mouse driver or a specific driver from the vendor?

I've tried it both ways; before i re-installed windows i used the vendors, when the issue appeared the very first thing i did was uninstall them and try the generic MS drivers only.

It's funny that the etl shows no issue while Latencymon tells me otherwise. Would the etl show if the issue stems from a faulty motherboard? I've tested every piece of hardware i have, but have no idea how to go about testing my motherboard itself or it's I/O Ports.

Edit: I had found two threads while researching my problem where one was resolved by disabling all power saving features in BIOS and Windows (didn't work for me) and the other could only get rid of the negative acceleration by buying a new motherboard altogether.

Edited by 3Seven