How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

OK, My theory was correct with Win 7 and the USB drivers for the ATI SB400 chipset. I left them disabled in device manager.

Then successfully installed a StarTeck PCIUSB7 card with VIA 2.2 controllers, it has 4 exterior USB-A ports and a interior USB-A port and USB double pin header totaling 7 ports. I wanted this card because of the controller and the double pin header.

Then I added a NZXT IUO1 internal USB expansion board feeding it from the StarTeck’s USB double pin header and a 5v power insert from the PSU with the included cables. It adds three double pin headers and two USB-A ports.

Now I was able to add my card reader and the other 3 front USB ports with 1 header pair left over. The two remaining USB-A ports I added my Bluetooth dongle on one of them.

At idle the CPU is 0/3 % and a very noticeable increase in performance now that I didn’t ever know I had after installing Win7.

I included some screen shots after the install.

Thanks again for this post and I hope some will benefit. :)

post-301401-128270428381_thumb.jpg

post-301401-12827043209_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone!

I have similar problems like couple people here. My culprit process is ndis.sys 16.71 percent of actual duration. I have an intel 5100 agn wifi in my vaio laptop. When I turn off the wireless and plug the cable into my NIC ndis.sys is the problem still but not as much as by wireless connection.

But, I only have problem when I am downloading with uTorrent or anything, but mostly with utorrent when I am above 1 megabyte/sec. When my computer is idle no problem. I know that this may be because of the bad network drivers but I have the latest ones so I dont know what to do. I inserted an image when I am downloading with utorrent. This time the cpu usually eats 20-25% when Im downloading with 2-2.5 megabyte/sec.

my specs: Intel Core2Duo T6600, 4GB ram, ati hd 4650

Thanks for your help!

xperf results: Capture.PNG (http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23985360/Capture.PNG)

Edited by Neurox

Hi, first off, I've read through the thread and want to say thanks for all the great help you offer!

The reason I wanted to check were the red peaks in the DPC Latency Checker below.

This occurs on an i7 920 12GB with no application running.

I've followed the steps and the summary table gives me the attached result.

Not sure what to make of it. There was someone before who had a problem with hal.dll

but the solution was not posted in this thread.

I went through my drivers manually and tried to update but Windows says they're all up to date.

...sorry, I'm an audio not a PC guy...

Any help much appreciated!

post-302260-096658600 1282863616_thumb.p

this happens when you use cheap onboard network chips. On my old Pentium M laptop the NDIS usage is also very high when I download with 2MB/s.

So the intel 5100 agn a load of sh*t :S? Actually Im sure that the driver is because there were some BSOD issues with the previous drivers, the next one solved but...as u see. So what I sent you the image about the processes in xperf shows that the problem is with the network drivers nothing else ?

Hi all!

Recently DPC's start to happen on my dedicated server, I followed the tutorial and found out that :

tcpip.sys - function : TcpPeriodicTimeoutHandler is causing the high cpu usage.

I updated the server with the broadcom latest drivers from DELL Support center.

Could anyone give me a hint which driver should be updated?

ETL Download link

thanks!

Edited by goran181

@year2525 provide the trace please.

So what I sent you the image about the processes in xperf shows that the problem is with the network drivers nothing else ?

mostly. I may also be a networking related software like Firewall

@goran181

you have an issue with the TCPIP.sys, so please update the Broadcom BCM5708C driver please.

@year2525 provide the trace please.

So what I sent you the image about the processes in xperf shows that the problem is with the network drivers nothing else ?

mostly. I may also be a networking related software like Firewall

@goran181

you have an issue with the TCPIP.sys, so please update the Broadcom BCM5708C driver please.

Thanks! Solved :P

please give me the etl file, not the pictures. Also stop the DPC latency checker during the trace

Sorry, I ran it again now with DPC Checker off.

The file is 78 MB...

Uploading now. PMing the link.

Or should I run the test for a shorter time period?