Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1399 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

Hi,

I've used a disassembler to look what the function does and from what I see, it belongs to the PowerManagment which control the new CoreParking ( http://thelazyadmin....re-parking.aspx, http://blogs.technet...-in-action.aspx, http://www.windowsit...er-scheme-.aspx ) feature.

Can you disable it and check if the CPU usage is reduced?

André
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Saftawy

Saftawy
  • 2 posts
Hello André, Thanks for your quick reply :)

It was a bug in bios, I had a beta bios installed for sometime and forgot about it, I just reverted to latest stable bios and the problem is now gone.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

Hi,

great to hear, that it is fixed. So the BIOS had some trouble with the CoreParking feature.

Have fun with your Windows now :)
Posted Image

vfwh

vfwh
  • 3 posts

My problem now lies in the fix. I am running W7 64-bit on a 27" iMac (late 2009 model) on a Core i7 (quad) using Bootcamp 3.0 with OSX SL 10.6..

I'm currently downloading the 3.1 update of Bootcamp, but am not hopeful that it will solve my problem.

The process you described yielded the very clear finding that ACPI.sys is causing the pb:

This is using up a full processor out of my 4 processors 100% of the time... My iMac is red-hot.

Now I have cruised the forums all over the place, but nobody has identified this particular problem with Boocamp on this iMac, although similar problems point to the fact that one should disable ACPI compatibility stuff. My problem?

My Windows 7 won't let me do that. I just don't get the Remove or Disable buttons when I go to these devices. I can't go in BIOS either as there is no BIOS, it's Bootcamp.

I'm at a loss here.

Just to be quite complete: I'm running Windows with Bootcamp, but also have VMware installed on the machine, using the Bootcamp intall when in OSX. I've tried disabling the VMWare stuff while in native W7 mode, but it doesn't change anything.

Any pointers?

You can't disable ACPI, this is required for using Windows >= Vista. Have you tried the latest Bootcamp?

So, problem identified and circumvented for now, not solved. It turns out that this crazy processor hogging happens when I connect a headset to the headset jack. Plug it in, boom, CPU at 100%. Unbelievable.

As it happens, I also had a huge network latency problem (my 10Mbps connexion wouldn't go past 300Kbps - i.e. instead of 2-3Megabytes per second I'd get 10Kbytes per second download). I thought it was related. In fact it wasn't.

So I have also, eventually, connected an external WiFi device (Belkin F5D8053) and it works. I think it's very clear now that the Atheros WiFi installed on the 27" Core i7 basically doesn't work with W7 Bootcamp. I have reinstalled drivers and so on (BTW, finding Atheros drivers on the net is close to impossible). Will have to wait until they release new drivers before I enable it again. It works like a breeze on Snow Leopard, though.

I'll investigate the headset freaky issue. Will resintall or change drivers and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for posting.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

this is a really strange issue with your headset. Ok, post us what you found out later :)
Posted Image

vfwh

vfwh
  • 3 posts

this is a really strange issue with your headset. Ok, post us what you found out later :)

Well, it's a hell of a weird story, but it's, er, "fixed", so to speak.

Basically, if I ease out the headset jack just a fraction, then it works... There's some issue also about the fact that trrs (mic and audio out in the same jack) is not implemented properly in Bootcamp/Win7. It's threrefore probably related, as the trrs depends on finer position of the connector in the jack, I guess. Or something.

You can go here to find out more details about that story and how broad of a user base that issue affects, with Apple obviously not giving a rat's a**:
http://discussions.a...00699

Cheers.

V.

P.S.: I did of course try several driver versions for the internal Cirrus Logic and so on, to no avail.

Edited by vfwh, 09 March 2010 - 06:10 PM.

sounds

sounds
  • 4 posts
Ididnt think it woudl do anything if I uninstalled the Firestudio driver, but it did. and it when I ran the W7 health report it said nothing of high interrupt rate. So i guess i will let presonus know. thanks Andre.

[quote name='MagicAndre1981' date='08 March 2010 - 07:36 AM' timestamp='1268051794' post='912175']
[quote name='sounds' date='05 March 2010 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1267825561' post='911847']
I have a high interrupt rate. it does it even if my firestudio is not plugged in.
[/quote]

but the drivers are installed! What happens if you remove the drivers? If the issue gone?

Edited by sounds, 12 March 2010 - 12:39 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

Ididnt think it woudl do anything if I uninstalled the Firestudio driver, but it did. and it when I ran the W7 health report it said nothing of high interrupt rate. So i guess i will let presonus know. thanks Andre.

ok, so contact the support of PreSonus.
Posted Image

BartDude

BartDude
  • 2 posts
Hello, I'm having a similar problem but as you can see in the sumary the causer is intelppm.sys. I already tryed a clean boot but the cpu its still at 50%++

http://img98.imagesh...98/2557/dcp.png

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

Hi, the idle process is nothing you should worry about. The intelppm.sys brings the power saving features of your CPU to Windows.

Extend the "System" node please and post the new picture!

regards
André
Posted Image

BartDude

BartDude
  • 2 posts

Hi, the idle process is nothing you should worry about. The intelppm.sys brings the power saving features of your CPU to Windows.

Extend the "System" node please and post the new picture!

regards
André

Here it is http://img153.images...3/6871/dcp1.png

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

please provide the complete etl file. upload it to your SkyDrive (if you have a LiveID) and send me the link via PM.
Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

You have the same issue like vfwh. The ACPI driver is causing the usage. Do you use the latest BIOS/drivers? Does it also happen if you make a Clean Boot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135). If not a third party driver/program is causing it.
Posted Image

VultureX

VultureX
  • 7 posts
Hello,

thank you for this tutorial :)

While analysing my laptop* I found 2 things.
This is with my WLAN enabled. There are 2 bands with high CPU usage to see. During that time I was downloading and uploading with about 1.3MB/s respectively.
There are also other peeks to be noticed. I will come back to those later.

Posted Image

As you can see, the main culprit is the ndis.sys driver, which indicates bad WLAN drivers. Is there something I can do about this, besides updating the drivers? I can't find any new drivers on the net. I can't find ANY firmware updates on the net. :(
The latest drivers I can find are:
http://www.atheros.c...AR9285&system=3
which have version number 7.7.0.331, which are in fact older than the Windows Update drivers which have version number 8.0.0.238

I've found some drivers on MSI's site and I've tried multiple versions, but it makes no difference for the high DPC latencies.

Posted Image

Now the trace with WLAN disabled:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's just peeks to be seen. These are the same peeks you saw after the downloading/uploading in the previous images. These peeks occur every 15 seconds and are caused by:

Posted Image

ACPI.sys. This does not change with a (sort of) clean boot.
'Sort of' clean boot? Well, the norton internet security service does not allow itself to be disabled. When I deselect it and click apply it just becomes selected automatically again. Even in safe mode...

MSI CS620:
Interl Core i3-330M
ATi Radeon HD5470
4 GB DDR3
Win7 32 bit
Wireless Network Adapter: Atheros AR9285

Edited by VultureX, 07 April 2010 - 06:05 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

Hi,

don't worry about the WLAN. The cause is the ACPI.sys driver. Have you installed the latest BIOS/chipset drivers?
Posted Image

VultureX

VultureX
  • 7 posts
Why shouldn't I worry about the WLAN?
When I'm downloading at 2MB/s, CPU usage exceeds 20%. That means 1 thread is near fully loaded (dual core CPU; 4 threads)!
With the WLAN card enabled I experience random >4000 microseconds DPC latency spikes. This can well be the cause of input lag (intermittent pauses while typing) that I'm experiencing.

I can confirm I have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

Edited by VultureX, 07 April 2010 - 06:56 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

plase create 2 trace file (1 with and 1 without WLAN) and upload them and send me the link via PM
Posted Image

VultureX

VultureX
  • 7 posts

plase create 2 trace file (1 with and 1 without WLAN) and upload them and send me the link via PM

PM should be sent.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

I look at it later and post what I found out.
Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

I think it may be caused by the PowerSaving feature of your mobile Intel i3 CPU. Which powerplan do you use? Try changing to high performance and disable all power saving features. Does it help? Or do you still have spikes from the ACPI.sys driver?
Posted Image

savagejw

savagejw
  • 3 posts
Andre,
Thanks for all the work on this post. I recently purchased a Gateway DX-4822 for use with a HDTV streaming media. Thought it would be a good fit, but it's brand new and I'm already having issues. I'm using the HDMI output into a receiver and then sending video to the TV. The computer output is only good for stereo though...when in 5.1 it mixes all the audio channels and doesn't work properly. Sadly none of the other media driver are compatible with my machine. I've tried every version of the media drivers for the Intel G35 and nothing works at all, so I go back to the original.

Anyways...a bigger problem. When I stream video for about 20 minutes I get big system interrupt problems. I ran a trace and this is the output:

Attached File  summary.png   160.4KB   50 downloads

Hoping it's not a driver issue with the media chipset driver because as I said, I tried all alternatives available at Intel and after install I get numerous video and audio issues.

hope you can help!!
Jonathan

Edited by savagejw, 07 April 2010 - 01:07 PM.

VultureX

VultureX
  • 7 posts

I think it may be caused by the PowerSaving feature of your mobile Intel i3 CPU. Which powerplan do you use? Try changing to high performance and disable all power saving features. Does it help? Or do you still have spikes from the ACPI.sys driver?

Well, I disabled IntelSpeedstep and put it on high performance mode, disabled all sleep/screen/shutdown timers, but I still get the spikes...
I've been busy with this all day long without any results, reinstalling drivers and stuff, but I only seem to break things up. :(
I've kind of had it with this thing. Thanks for your help André, but it just seems this laptop is not carefully put together considering all kind of dependencies on software and faulty drivers... If you delete one thing all hell breaks loose and it'll cost you all day to fix it again.
I'm back where I started now. I've wasted a day and tons of Gigs on system restore.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

Andre,

Hoping it's not a driver issue with the media chipset driver because as I said, I tried all alternatives available at Intel and after install I get numerous video and audio issues.

hope you can help!!
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, I saw your PM, I check the file later and post what I see.

Well, I disabled IntelSpeedstep and put it on high performance mode, disabled all sleep/screen/shutdown timers, but I still get the spikes...
I've been busy with this all day long without any results, reinstalling drivers and stuff, but I only seem to break things up. :(
I've kind of had it with this thing. Thanks for your help André, but it just seems this laptop is not carefully put together considering all kind of dependencies on software and faulty drivers... If you delete one thing all hell breaks loose and it'll cost you all day to fix it again.
I'm back where I started now. I've wasted a day and tons of Gigs on system restore.

Contact the MS support and create a new PSS for your issue.
Posted Image

VultureX

VultureX
  • 7 posts
Hey,
I've finally found the causes(!) of the latency spikes.

The first one obviously was the WLAN card. With that disabled I still had 15 seconds spikes and a few random spikes and no internet. Then I disabled the Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery and that took care of the 15 second spikes. Now I still had a few random high spikes and no internet and no information about my battery life. Then I switched from my HD5470 to my Intel Media accelerator and now FINALLY all latency spikes are gone.

But now there's no internet, no battery information, no highpeformance quality graphics.
Would you still recommend to contact microsoft support? What does PSS mean?

Edit:
About the WLAN: I tried using only my other NIC with an ethernet cable, but that still gave me DPC latency spikes. So I uninstalled Norton Internet Security and now I can browse the web, download and upload using my other NIC card without latency spikes. If I use my WLAN card, I still get a number of spikes just after downloading or uploading, similar to the images I posted earlier. Very weird:

Norton uninstalled and only the WLAN card causing DPC latency spikes just after internet usage:
Posted Image

Edited by VultureX, 08 April 2010 - 08:27 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

the other NIC may have an integrated chip which processes some tasks in hardware, while the WLAN adapter uses the CPU more.

Because the ATI card causes the issue, contact the AMD/ATI support and tell them your results.
Posted Image

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN