Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1419 replies to this topic

BaSubScribe

BaSubScribe
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 19-October 11
Hi Andre: Your tuotrial is truly magical. It worked like a charm using both xperf and Latency Monitor. After running both test, it seems like the culprit is ATAPORT.sys. I have searched this thread for all instances of ATAPORT.sys to see if someone posted a solution. Unfortunately it seems like there was no real solution... unless i just didnt understand what people did to fix theirs.

My version of the drivers is "ataport.SYS", "6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)"
I am using a Hitachi Deskstarā„¢ 5K3000 for my internal HD and a Western Digital WD My Book 1110 USB External Drive.

I have had this set up now for months with no problems until recently my music was popping and hissing and then I noticed one core at full blast which eventually led me to this thread. Are there any other possibilities other than what I have read so far to alleviate this problem? I realy and truly scoured the net for a solution and tried using this thread to do it myself but i am lost at the moment.

Attached Files

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

ataport is the IDE driver. Do you run your IDE DVD drives or HDDs in PIO mode for example?
Posted Image

ZenathD

ZenathD
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 19-October 11
Hi Andre,

Great tutorial you made there!

I have some serious audio dropouts, and distortions, which is pretty bad since I making music is my hobby.
When I run latencymon, I have multiple drivers and processes, which looks like they cause dpc spikes.
I have tried to disable the ethernet card, but that does not help. I don't really know where to go from here.

Do you think thereĀ“s hope for me, or am I totally screwed on this?

Attached Files

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

please run the xperf trace for 60s and upload the compressed DPC_Interrupt.etl
Posted Image

BaSubScribe

BaSubScribe
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 19-October 11
Yes. In Device Manager I have two ATA Channel 0.

The 1st one says ATA Disk in PIO Mode 4 (I beleive that is the Hitachi)
The 2nd one says 'Target Id 0, ATAPI Cdrom in Multi-Word DMA Mode 2' & 'Target 1, ATAPI Cdrom PIO Mode 4'

I did notice that my device manager does not have a SATA controller listed under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller group. Could this be the reason. All of my internal drivers are SATA and the Hitachi is a SATA2

Edited by BaSubScribe, 21 October 2011 - 03:11 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

delete both drives in device manager and reboot. Windows installs the drivers again. Windows switches to PIO mode if there are error when using DMA.
Posted Image

BaSubScribe

BaSubScribe
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 19-October 11
Already solved it!!!!!! For now at least :>) I didnt need to delete the drives. Just use the check box in device manager. After ur suggestion i did a search on PIO mode and found an article explaining why in particular with the sleep state which i use ALL the time. So i made the corrections in registry and have not had a problem thus far. Will reboot and place in sleep mode to see if it comes back but the registry fix should prevent it from happening again.

Gotta say it officailly.... You are DA BOMB techie!!!!! Truly living up to your name as Magic Andre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One last thing befoe i go. any reason why my device manager does not have a SATA controller listed under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller group. All of my internal drivers are SATA and the Hitachi is a SATA3 (6Gb/s) It says UltraDMA 6 an i feel like im not getting anywhere near the performance of my board and disk drive.

If by chance I have to delete them. Will i loose the drive letter or have trouble booting if i delete all my internal drives?

Here is the link to the registry fix
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472

Let me fix it myself
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor: 1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2.Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001

3.On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4.Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.
5.On the Edit menu, click Modify.
6.Type 1, and then click OK.
Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor: 1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2.Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

3.On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4.Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.
5.On the Edit menu, click Modify.
6.Type 1, and then click OK.
Note The numbered subkeys that are listed earlier correspond to the primary and secondary IDE channels on a computer that contains a single IDE controller. If your computer contains two IDE controllers, the numbered subkeys for the primary and secondary IDE channels for each of the two controllers may be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0004

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005
To verify that you have located the correct subkey, verify that the
DriverDesc
value for the subkey contains the string value "Primary IDE Channel" or the string value "Secondary IDE Channel."
Back to the top

Edited by BaSubScribe, 21 October 2011 - 05:40 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

If it works now don't do anything. leave it and be happy.
Posted Image

MattMatt

MattMatt
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 18-November 11
G'day guys, i know this isn't a hot topic or anything but...

I've gotten to the stage where it shows me the DPC CPU usage Summary table, my problem is i have no idea on what "ntoskrnl.exe" is.. If i google it it comes up with "FIX BSOD"..
Infact there's lots of stuff in there.

What should i do about this? Would a reformat be easier? I don't really want to, but this sound problems getting to me..

Is anyone able to help me with my problem? :/

Attached Files

Edited by MattMatt, 18 November 2011 - 06:36 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

load the symbols and expand the ntoskrnl.exe node until you see a name in the column "function".
Posted Image

MattMatt

MattMatt
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 18-November 11

load the symbols and expand the ntoskrnl.exe node until you see a name in the column "function".

Gah! So many things causing DPC/Interrupt.. They're mostly windows services too.. Going to reformat on Monday it's easier and should fix it..

Thanks for the support anyways!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

can you please zip the ETL and upload it (mediafore.com, Rapidshare.com)?
Posted Image

MattMatt

MattMatt
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 18-November 11

can you please zip the ETL and upload it (mediafore.com, Rapidshare.com)?

Okay sure!

Here
The password is MagicAndre1981.

Thanks for your help! :)

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

what are your power plan settings? It looks you have an issue with the power saving features of your Intel Core 2 Quad. The intelppm.sys and the PpmPerfApplyProcessorState function from the kernel cause the DPC usage.
Posted Image

MattMatt

MattMatt
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 18-November 11

what are your power plan settings? It looks you have an issue with the power saving features of your Intel Core 2 Quad. The intelppm.sys and the PpmPerfApplyProcessorState function from the kernel cause the DPC usage.

It was just on "High Performance"
Could this be related to that i upgraded the processor from a Core 2 Duo to a Core 2 Quad?
What should i be changing?

Wow changing it to "Balanced" fixed it, there's still a few spikes but videos are watchable now!

You're a genius! (;

EDIT: Nope, it's ALOT better. But not quite there..

Edited by MattMatt, 19 November 2011 - 08:14 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Install the Sp1, update the BIOS and play with the CPU settings in the BIOS (C1(E)-Support)
Posted Image

Gohan3k

Gohan3k
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 20-November 11
Hello Andre

I read the first 15 pages of the thread, and couldn't find anything close to what I am experiencing - if a solution is in the second half I apologize for wasting your time.

It seems to me my numbers are very high, you said to watch out for usec values over 256... almost all of mine are over 100,000 =\

Here's screenshots of both DPC and Interrupt tables

http://img855.images...5/8336/dpca.jpg

http://img10.imagesh...7/interuupt.jpg

It seems multiple files are causing issues, even my lower ones seem to have higher values than I've seen other people post their highest ones have (if it's relative numbers that matter, and not absolute ones, I guess this is irrelevant though)

My etl file is 664mb but if you want me to upload it i can.

The specific issue i'm having is every 15 or so minutes, my CPU usage hits 100% for 5 - 10 minutes. If it helps this is after a dell tech came over and replaced my motherboard with a new one. All my drivers (webcam, chipset, video, network adapters, bios, card reader,etc.) are all up to date from the dell website. My machine is a Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop, running Vista SP1 64 bit

This has been driving me nuts, anything you can help with i'd greatly appreciate.

Edited by Gohan3k, 22 November 2011 - 04:55 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

which USb devices do you use?

Yes, compress it as 7z (ULTRA, LZMA2) and upload it to mediafire.com, please.
Posted Image

Gohan3k

Gohan3k
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 20-November 11
I'm using a Razr Naga Mouse, a Western Digital external HDD, and a laptop cooler

I've Private message'd you the link to the etl file

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

remove the WD HDD. I see some ATAPI.sys and USB spikes.

And next time make a small trace (60-180s). xperfview uses 5GB to open the trace.

Also install the Vista Sp2! Sp1 is out of support.

Edited by MagicAndre1981, 23 November 2011 - 12:33 PM.

Posted Image

Gohan3k

Gohan3k
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 20-November 11
The thing is, I have to wait for the spike to happen before I close the trace. It's random and not a consistent issue. It happens like every 10 minutes or so.

It's happened even with the western digital harddrive out.

I'll install SP2, remove every USB device and do another trace if you think that will help?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

ok run this:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular

this limits the filesize to 256MB.
Posted Image

Gohan3k

Gohan3k
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 20-November 11
Alright, updated to SP2, did a windows update, unplugged all USB devices and still getting the same issue. I even disabled my wireless adapter.

New DPC: http://img259.images...9/7034/dpc2.jpg

New Interupt: http://img406.images...2/interupt2.jpg

And I've private messaged you the new ETL file

Thank you so much for your insight on this issue. Rarely do I ever get free help from someone I am a stranger to

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

WoW and the Windows Update engine cause 80% of your CPU usage.

some spikes are only caused by DPCs:

Total = 32336 for module ndis.sys
Elapsed Time, > 4096 usecs AND <= 8192 usecs, 1, or 0.00%

Total = 14752 for module ataport.SYS
Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 2, or 0.01%

Total = 1353 for module acpi.sys
Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 13, or 0.96%

So ACPI causes the spikes which causes your issues. Try a different power plan and update the BIOS of your laptop.
Posted Image

Gohan3k

Gohan3k
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 20-November 11
Before the motherboard switch, WoW did not cause any issues.

I've already updated the BIOS (The Dell website had the same version I had already installed though, but I installed it anyway) and switched from "dell recommended" power to "maximum power" or whatever it's called. This was prior to that last trace.

Do you have any other suggestions? I'm going to try reformatting and reinstalling windows but if it's a BIOS problem I don't think that will help :(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users