Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1395 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

I think the issue you have is the Update service which scans in background for updates. WOW + the Update service cause most CPU usage. As a workaround stop WindowsUpdate service while playing WOW
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

imp666

imp666
  • 2 posts
Very great, many thanks for this.

I even succeeded to run xperf under WinXP (this is something I wanted to share with the community to give something back):
- first I extracted "xperf.exe" and "xperfctl.dll" from the "wpt_x86.msi" (you can use 7zip to do this)
- i copied this to a temporary folder
- i started a dos box and changed to that folder
- i ran the xperf logging like described and stopped it like described

I did NOT succeed viewing/debugging the etl-file in WinXP, but: I just copied the "*.etl" to a Win7 computer (where I have a normal wpt-Installation running) and doubleclicked the *.etl-file to find results...

It seems to work and I could identify a troublemaker on the WinXP machine (see attachmed file, etl was created with xperf in WinXP and diagnose ran in xperfview@Win7, thats why there's the aero window style).
Attached File  dpc_xp.jpg   82.16KB   11 downloads

So thank you for this thread and I hope someone could benefit from my WinXP-trials with this tool...

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

yes, opening the ETL only works >= Vista. What was the cause? damaged cable or bad SCSI device?
Posted Image

imp666

imp666
  • 2 posts
Just had to reinstall intel inf update after a virus removal of a bad virus infection (btw. it wasn't my own machine!)

Edited by imp666, 30 November 2011 - 02:15 AM.

BearandNeets

BearandNeets
  • 1 posts
Hi Magic Andre, Man you have put your soul into helping people on this thread. Massive Ups to you. There is a place in heaven reserved for people relieving computer rage.... I have the CPU spikes causing audio and video stuttering which is driving me up the wall! I would really appreciate your help to interpret the results of the xperf file. I have followed your initial instructions and have my report. Which is the result or column that indicates the driver at fault? On one occasion I ran it and got USBPORT at the top of the list. Then another time NDIS then another time TCPIP.sys (that was when I made it a very small duration centered on the actual spike.. I have updated my Realtek audio drivers off the website. Following the NDIS find I updated my WLAN drivers off the website also (Windows didn't seem to think they needed updating in device manager) my problem is still there. The longer I have it logged in the worse it gets although a restart will often cure it temporarily.

Would it be easier if I just PM you my scan to look at?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by BearandNeets, 02 December 2011 - 03:02 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

upload the compressed (as 7z, LZMA2 -ULTRA) ETL file to mediafire.com and send me the link via PM.
Posted Image

AngryAngus

AngryAngus
  • 1 posts
My problem is my nividia drivers seem to be causing the problems. (Example, uninstall drivers, no more cpu usage from system interrupts) but I have no clue what to do, I have tried different drivers to no luck.
Can anyone help? It causes ripping and popping audio wise in anything cpu intensive like skyrim or deus ex...

Attached Files

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

which GPU do you have? Some users had issues when the GPU shares the IRQ with other components. So run "C:\Windows\System32\msinfo32.exe" and check under IRQs if the GPU shares an IRQ. If this happens and your board has 2 PCIe 16 slots insert the card in the other slot and test again.

If this doesn't help, compress and upload the trace to mediafire.com and post a link here.
Posted Image

h3x00r

h3x00r
  • 1 posts
When I use BitTorrent to download stuff I do have this an intrerruption problem causing high cpu usage (see the attachement)
The ntoskrnl.exe seems to have some high values.

In Process Explorer I do see a 5-6% CPU usage for Intrerrupts.
I do have a Intel i7 @ 2.0Ghz and 12gig of ram.

What happens? My mouse starts to slug.

Thank You!

Attached Files

Edited by h3x00r, 20 December 2011 - 09:11 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

can you make a trace, compress it as 7z (LZMA2, Ultra) and upload it?
Posted Image

BigErn

BigErn
  • 1 posts
I found that with the ndis.sys problem, going into the driver properties in Device Manager and going to your network LAN card, then enabling IEEE802.11h in the advanced tab solved the problem. Might be worth trying in the first instance instead of going through the whole process :)

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

nice to hear that you fixed it after using xperf
Posted Image

dougr

dougr
  • 2 posts
Is it normal to get a bunch of results in these tests? On my DPC CPU Usage Summary Table ataport.SYS is what came up with the most usage but I really don't know how to go about fixing that one. On the other table: Interrupt CPU Usage Summary Table, hal.dll came up as the highest actual duration. Do any of my results really need to be fixed?

Attached Files

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

Do you run a device (CD,DVD, HDD) in IDE/ATAPI mode?
Posted Image

dougr

dougr
  • 2 posts
No, all devices that are plugged in run in AHCI mode. From my bios it states that the bluray drive, samsung 830, and samsung HDD run in AHCI mode. When I go to device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers it reads:
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 3
ATA Channel 4
ATA Channel 5
Intel ® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02

I'm not sure if the above has anything to do with the problem, but figured I'd list it anyway.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

can you provide the DPC_Interrupt.etl (after dumping the to with xperf -d , not the kernel.etl)?
Posted Image

Damascus

Damascus
  • 4 posts
Hello Andre!

I actually arrived to this thread after googling why NT Kernel & System was having CPU usage spikes on my new computer (~25% every minute or so, constantly).
I just got this Dell laptop a few days ago and CPU usage issues started happening yesterday. I did update several drivers, including those of the graphics cards and the BIOS from the Dell site.

I did everything you recommended on your post and I can't figure out what the results mean, could you help me out? I can't relate the results to a specific driver.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the Sampling Summary Table showing the culprit (ntoskrnl.exe).

If it helps I should tell you this:
- The CPU usage spikes won't happen on safe mode.
- A few days ago I shut down my computer and it started installing Windows Update files, I was in a hurry so I physically shut it down, next time when I tried to log in it crashed before the Windows start screen. I restarted it and it went fine.

Could it be that I have a corrupted ntoskrnl.exe?

Attached Files

Edited by Damascus, 17 January 2012 - 11:59 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

can you also compress the ETL file and upload it?
Posted Image

kali

kali

KamrulCox

• Pip
  • 76 posts
Useful post. Thanks.

Damascus

Damascus
  • 4 posts

can you also compress the ETL file and upload it?

Sure, I uploaded it as a .rar on mediafire, here's the link:

http://www.mediafire...b3ubxanb895sial

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

hmm, you don't really have a DPC/Interrupt issue. But the good question is why the kernel takes 25% cpu usage. Does it also happen if you remove AVG from your system?
Posted Image

Damascus

Damascus
  • 4 posts

hmm, you don't really have a DPC/Interrupt issue. But the good question is why the kernel takes 25% cpu usage. Does it also happen if you remove AVG from your system?

Yep, I actually installed AVG after it started happening so I could scan for a possible virus or something.

I just noticed something interesting though. The 25% CPU usage only happens when I'm connected to my home Internet connection (wireless), if I'm connected at college it doesn't happen at all, it stays at 0% CPU constantly. It's odd and it's driving me insane, since the computer is new I'm considering returning it to its Factory state and see if it helps.

I'm not sure if it's possible to save a CPU usage graph using Process Explorer, but I'm attaching a screenshot. All those spikes are from System, they have the same 25 - 28% magnitude and they all last around the same time.

EDIT: Just checked System properties using Process Explorer, under Threads it shows that the thread causing the CPU spikes is called "ntoskrnl.exe!KeAcquireInStackQueuedSpinLockAtDpcLevel+0x1e0"
Trying to figure out what that means.

Attached Files

Edited by Damascus, 18 January 2012 - 08:15 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

Uninstall AVG and run this command
xperf -start perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer && timeout -1 && xperf -stop perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer DetailedTrace.etl
to trace more details. How do you connect at college? Also with Wireless like at home or with LAN? Do you use the latest driver for your Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030?
Posted Image

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
Hi

I'm having trouble loading the symbols. I've installed xperf with the .NET Framework 4 SDK Web installer, so the process wasn't quite the same as on the page you linked to in your first post, but I installed WPT and Debugging tools under Common Utilities and WPT under Redistributable Packages. Might not have needed all those but wasn't sure.

Anyway, that gives a Start Menu shortcut, Windows SDK 7.1 Command Prompt, so I used that and created the trace with xperf. Then I open it with WPA and change the NT_SYMBOL_PATH to srv*C:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols tick Load Symbols and click on Summary Table, but everything's listed under Unknown.

I might already have enough information from LatencyMon for you to go on though.

I'm running Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1 on a MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard with Phenom II X4 955 processor and 8GB DDR3.

I first found I was having dpc latency problems that were being caused by Outpost Security Suite, so I uninstalled that and installed Comodo Firewall instead. I also had to kill/disable the nusb3mon.exe utility, which brought the max execution time for USBPORT.SYS down from 1.3ms to 0.38ms.

Later, I installed VMware Workstation (as I was having problems doing some things in Virtualbox so wanted to see if VMware worked better) and noticed problems again. I reduced them by disabling the two NICs that it installed, but had to disable all it's services as well to completely sort it out, so I uninstalled it.

However, I'm still having problems. I notice if I open a browser (IE or Iron Portable) the execution time for ndis.sys jumps up to 0.5-0.8ms. Although LatencyMon reports that my system is still OK to play video with latency around 500us, I get spikes much higher (around 1100us) and ndis.sys can hit 1.35ms-2.8ms and then LatencyMon reports that my system isn't OK. With Outpost SS, tcpip.sys was the problem (around 0.7ms with spikes every 5 seconds), followed by ataport.sys and USBPORT.SYS.

After getting rid of OSS, I tried disabling the two Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers (one of which is off a PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge) that don't have anything connected, the 1394 Controller, the AMD 6950 HD Audio, the two USB 3 Controllers, three Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controllers and three Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controllers, but was still having a problem with USBPORT.SYS hitting 1.3ms:

http://imageshack.us...monhighusb.png/

I then disabled nusb3mon.exe which brought it down to 0.38ms and moved my KVM from a USB3 port (running at USB2 I imagine considering what I'd disabled) to a USB2/SATA combo port, which brought it down to 0.25ms but I still had problems with ataport.sys:

http://imageshack.us...inusb2comb.png/

http://imageshack.us...inusb2comb.png/

Then I transferred my KVM to a normal USB2 port, after which USBPORT.sys and ataport.sys didn't go above 0.25ms although uninstalling OSS seemed to have caused ndis.sys to increase from 0.03ms to 0.28ms

http://imageshack.us...inusb232mi.png/

http://imageshack.us...inusb232mi.png/

However, since installing/uninstalling VMware I'm now having problems with ataport.sys again. I've still got all the devices listed above disabled, and still only have things plugged in the normal USB2 ports.

http://imageshack.us...eruninstal.png/

http://imageshack.us...versafteru.png/

http://imageshack.us...nafterunin.png/

http://imageshack.us...versafteru.png/

I've just unplugged my USB hub (with only an Xbox360 controller plugged in) so that only my KVM is connected to a USB port, which may have brought the ataport.sys execution time down somewhat, but the latency's still rather high.

http://imageshack.us...nmplivetvu.png/

http://imageshack.us...versmplive.png/

Edited by doveman, 19 January 2012 - 12:49 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

do you run your DVD/HDD-drives in IDE/ATAPI or AHCI mode?
Posted Image

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN