Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1384 replies to this topic

Nukkels

Nukkels
  • 1 posts
I've only noticed this happening in the last week or so and the only thing I've done since then was move house. The only difference was that I used my phone as a modem for the first time ever - a lot of googling for the last few days has led me here but so far there are dozens of theories and no confirmed solutions. In my case, this is quite random. The process called 'System' (description NT Kernel and System) randomly seems to max out one core of the CPU then stops after a random amount of time. There's nothing in the event log for when this occurs.

I've run all the malware, AV, etc scans. Almost everyone with this problem that has reformatted and done a clean install says that the problem persists which indicates either hardware or a root kit. I've run 14 hours of memtest which came back clean and I've disabled my wireless card. Nothing has helped.

One thing that is interesting which I have found in all my research is that it may be related to IRQ settings. The reason I say this is that one time it occurred was while playing a game and the sound from my Creative SB X-FI went into a very short loop (about 50-100ms). There has also been a lot of talk about Interrupts, USB devices and hardware conflicts which all point at an IRQ problem. I have previously had my hardware working perfectly and then my sound card suddenly stop working for no reason and playing musical chairs with PCI cards changed the IRQ settings and fixed the problem. None of that explains the random nature of the current issue or why there has been a sudden increase in this problem recently.

My hardware is a Phenom II 965 with 4GB RAM, ATI 4850, X-FI Fatal1ty and TP-Link wireless-N card (can't remember the model number and I'm at work right now).

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,920 posts

Donator

you should run the xperf command I've posted here when the System- Process uses the CPU and look which driver causes the issue.
Posted Image

Resilient

Resilient
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have come across this site trying to resolve the problem described in the first post. But, after downloading symbols, I am still getting an Module "Unknown" as the issue and I cant pin it down.

I have uploaded a rar here:

w2designs.dreamhosters.com/DPC_Interrupt.rar

which contains the elt file.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide. I had daemon tools installed but it has been removed and I beleive these problems started before I had it installed anyway.

omenofthephoenix

omenofthephoenix
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,
I have spikes in CPU usage at fairly regular intervals when streaming video or playing a game full-screen.
I have done as MagicAndre has suggested and done a trace and found the USBport.sys is most likely the problem.
You mentioned updating chipset drivers, I think I did that but not sure if I did it correctly, I don't really understand the chipset thing.
Tried updating USB drivers, nVidia chipset? drivers and BIOS but still having problems.
Anyone able to help?
Let me know if there's any info you might need.

AMD athlon processors
ASUS M2N-VN DVI motherboard
nVidia chipset (nForce 560 and Southbridge nForce 630a) from CPU-Z
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,920 posts

Donator

yeah, install the latest nVIDIA nForce drivers.
Posted Image

NewestGuy

NewestGuy

• 12 posts

Hi everyone,
I have spikes in CPU usage at fairly regular intervals when streaming video or playing a game full-screen.
I have done as MagicAndre has suggested and done a trace and found the USBport.sys is most likely the problem.
You mentioned updating chipset drivers, I think I did that but not sure if I did it correctly, I don't really understand the chipset thing.
Tried updating USB drivers, nVidia chipset? drivers and BIOS but still having problems.
Anyone able to help?

AMD athlon processors
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Asus does not offer W7 32 or 64bit chipset drivers for that motherboard, they do offer them for Vista 64bit, and should work for W7, but they are dated 03/07/2008, they might work better than the default drivers W7 installed.

Choose Vista 64bit as the OS selection to download the chipset drivers.

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

If found this on the Nvidia site, not sure it is the chipset driver though.

http://www.nvidia.co...ta64_15.23.html

Edited by NewestGuy, 13 May 2010 - 09:20 AM.

glmoreky

glmoreky
  • 8 posts
System Specs:

Sapphire AMD 939 A9RD480Adv Motherboard (BIOS 6.0)
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+
ATI Radeon HD 4850(2) (Crossfire)
WD 500GB Hard drive(2) (Raid 0)
4Gigs RAM DDR
OCZ ModXtreme 600W Power Supply
Windows 7 32bit

Hi there. It seems as if I'm having the problem a few of you are having. I followed the instructions to the letter and have discovered that my amdk8.sys is causing the second core of my CPU to constantly run and peak at 100% usage. Upon further inspection, the function that is the culprit is C1HALT. I read in a few previous post that this is nothing to be alarmed about...but no solution has been stated as in how to fix this. If I wasn't a gamer or use graphically intense programs, then i wouldn't worry about it. But the CPU slow down is preventing me from taking advantage of the system that I've built.

As you can see from the sidebar gadget also, its causing my second core to constantly run around 100%. I have all the up to date drivers for my devices, the latest bios for my board (not much of an option here since my board is kinda old). So is there any fix to the C1HALT issue or am I just screwed and have to bite the bullet and do a total overhaul of my system with newer components? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by glmoreky, 13 May 2010 - 08:58 PM.

ilove2learn

ilove2learn
  • 4 posts
Hello MagicAndre & friends,

I join this thread hoping you can help me improve my DPC latency. Back in XP SP3, DPC latency used to stick around 40-50 µs. Within win7 64, I don't have huge red spikes often, but yellow ones (1070 µs for example) happen quite easily, and overall my latency is in the 300-400 µs range, which feels too much and uncomfortable : this is supposed to be a fully functionnal DAW for me to earn a living with it.

Xperf shows an unknown module and it's function 0xfffffa8002fb20f0 which i suspect is reponsible for the situation. Please find with this post

a .txt summary of my PC
http://www.zshare.ne...065675ce27aac1/
a screen shot of DPC latency checker
Posted Image

a screen shot of xperf's Summary table
Posted Image
http://www.zshare.ne...065675ce27aac1/

Best Regards.

Edited by ilove2learn, 13 May 2010 - 09:41 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,920 posts

Donator

@glmoreky

ignore the IDLE- Process. This doesn't create the CPU usage! The C1Halt command is a power saving feature.

@ilove2learn

sort for duration, not the count! Which DPCs take most time?
Posted Image

glmoreky

glmoreky
  • 8 posts

@glmoreky

ignore the IDLE- Process. This doesn't create the CPU usage! The C1Halt command is a power saving feature.

@ilove2learn

Well if I post a screen shot of the whole table, before the break downs, could you possibly tell me whats going on and whats causing this?

glmoreky

glmoreky
  • 8 posts
I took another look at the table and saw that my problem was being caused by USBPORT.sys. I tried to update the driver...still problem remained. So I went to my local computer store and purchased a USB card for $17.00USD. Plugged it in and let windows find it and install drivers. Restarted my computer and the problem is now resolved. Thank you for posting the tutorial. Wish I would have found this when the problem first occurred. Would have saved me 6 days of headaches lol.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,247 posts
Potentially - from the screenshot we have, the largest consumer (by far) of DPC time is ndis.sys calling ndisInterruptDPC, meaning the network driver is indeed responsible for some of that time. If the network miniport driver registered itself an ISR handler, it either shares an IRQ with another device or the driver must capture interrupt-specific data from NIC registers at DIRQL - both would cause calls into this API.

It would be best if we had access to the data set itself, but a screenshot is better than nothing :).
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,920 posts

Donator

@glmoreky

great, that you found the cause with the help of this guide :)

@cluberti

any ideas about the unknown module? How can I detect which driver it is?
Posted Image

ilove2learn

ilove2learn
  • 4 posts

@ilove2learn

As i tried to update my PC since previous post, i did a new xperf. Here is it's summary table :

Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,920 posts

Donator

upload the etl file and post the link here.
Posted Image

ilove2learn

ilove2learn
  • 4 posts
here it is

:)

Edited by ilove2learn, 14 May 2010 - 06:51 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,920 posts

Donator

You don't have any DPC or interrupt issues! Both use less than 1% of CPU. You only have CPU usage spikes caused by Everest Ultimate.
Posted Image

ilove2learn

ilove2learn
  • 4 posts

You don't have any DPC or interrupt issues! Both use less than 1% of CPU. You only have CPU usage spikes caused by Everest Ultimate.

ok then :) ! my mistake was to believe i needed to be in the 40 µs range under windows 7.
Thanks for your expertise and kindness André, you are a true blessing for all of us !

glmoreky

glmoreky
  • 8 posts
Okay...I'm back.When using the usb pci card that I bought to initially solve my problem, it seems I've ran into another. When I log off my system or restart it, I'll of my drivers disappear. So upon restart I have to let windows re-install them each time. Not sure what is causing that issue, so i went back to just using the usb ports on the motherboard and I'm getting the USBPORT.SYS issue again. Is there a way to resolve this, or do I just need to replace my mother board?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,920 posts

Donator

which card did you buy? Have you installed the latest drivers from the support page of the card?
Posted Image

glmoreky

glmoreky
  • 8 posts

which card did you buy? Have you installed the latest drivers from the support page of the card?

It's a Ali USB 2.0 PCI card. Made by FS (generic brand lol). It came with the driver cd and I installed from there.

glmoreky

glmoreky
  • 8 posts
I found this as a possible solution, but don't know if the issue will reoccur:

I went to device manager and disabled all of the on board USB controllers and also the USB Root Hubs. After about 3 secs my CPU usage dropped to only 7-10%. Then I enabled them again and the CPU usage stayed at the 7-10%. So when inspecting which ".sys" files are controlling those devices, I saw USBhub.sys, USBohci.sys and USBport.sys all on the ATI I/O Communications Processors. Then on the USB Root Hubs I saw USBbd.sys and USBhub.sys. The question is, which file is most likely the culprit. Since I get the USBport.sys using most of my CPU, can I just replace that driver. And if so, where can I locate it. There are none on my motherboard manufacturers website and the one that is installed was installed by Windows 7 when I did a clean install.

I also read on another forum that if another device shares the same IRQ as the USB controller, that it could cause this issue as well. So I took a look at my Resources By Type in device manager and saw several devices sharing the IRQ of the USB controller. Also there were multiple instances of them...see screen shot attached below. Is there a way to change which IRQ these are on so they can run in sequential order to see if that will correct the problem?

As of right now I reinstalled the USB pci card. I just hope I don't have to turn of my computer for anything and go through the whole missing drivers issue again, or at least til I get this problem fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

NewestGuy

NewestGuy

• 12 posts

Since I get the USBport.sys using most of my CPU, can I just replace that driver. And if so, where can I locate it. There are none on my motherboard manufacturers website and the one that is installed was installed by Windows 7 when I did a clean install.

I also read on another forum that if another device shares the same IRQ as the USB controller, that it could cause this issue as well. So I took a look at my Resources By Type in device manager and saw several devices sharing the IRQ of the USB controller. Also there were multiple instances of them...see screen shot attached below. Is there a way to change which IRQ these are on so they can run in sequential order to see if that will correct the problem?

The time usbport.sys is part of the chipset driver, at least on Intel chipset boards.

Sometimes a bios update can resolve USB issues, and others as well.

W7 irq discussion here, W7 is pretty good about flagging irq conflicts, they will show up in System Information. All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Hardware Resources.

http://social.answer...ef-056ff6503e85

Looks like in W7, the only way to change an IRQ in device manager is if there is a conflict, otherwise the change button is greyed out. There probably is a registry hack, but would be risky to do so.
http://helpdeskgeek....indows-vista-7/

more on irqs
http://www.gearslutz...ows-7-irqs.html

Edited by NewestGuy, 16 May 2010 - 09:18 AM.

omenofthephoenix

omenofthephoenix
  • 2 posts

Hi everyone,
Anyone able to help?

AMD athlon processors
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Asus does not offer W7 32 or 64bit chipset drivers for that motherboard, they do offer them for Vista 64bit, and should work for W7, but they are dated 03/07/2008, they might work better than the default drivers W7 installed.

Choose Vista 64bit as the OS selection to download the chipset drivers.

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

If found this on the Nvidia site, not sure it is the chipset driver though.

http://www.nvidia.co...ta64_15.23.html

Tried those (updating chipset drivers) and I think it helped, but still getting high USBport.sys in DPC and Interrupts CPU usage.
Still freezing up at regular intervals.

glmoreky

glmoreky
  • 8 posts
I did a search for my motherboards chipset drivers but couldn't find one. So I created a restore point and then uninstalled the USB 1.1 ans 2.0 OHCI Controllers and then rebooted. When the computer came back online, I let windows find the drivers for them, which included usbport.sys. So far so good...no latency or cpu usage issues. I'll report back in a day or two if the problem resurfaces.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN