Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1419 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

LE : uninstalled McAfee and it seems that I dont have problems anymore.

fantastic :thumbup :thumbup
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

catalinrcd

catalinrcd
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 22-November 12
This is gonna be a long one so get ready.
Before coming to you guys I've done my homework. My opinion is that this is a general software / hardware problem and not necessarily a sound card /sound system problem.
I have been experiencing for a few months audio dropouts and artifacts (pops & cracks).
Here is the list of things that I have done to try fixing the problem (the order is random):
- Reinstalled windows. Tryed both 86 bit & 64bit version.
- Updated moderboard drivers / sound drivers.
- Got the latest windows 7 updates.
- Installed 86 bit Windows xp Proffesional. And noticed I have no audio problems using that one even with old motherboard & sound drivers.
- I have a integrated sound card. Disabled that one from bios and got an Creative Sound Blaster (don't know exactly with one, it's a new version 2009 I think) SAME exact problems, even with the Creative sound card.
- Adjusted CPU power management to High: processor power management - minimum processor state 100% - maximum processor state 100%. Same problem, didn't work.
- Changed the Processor Scheduling: whent to Advanced System Settings - Performance Option - Advanced - selected "Background services" . Did NOT work.
- Messed around with the buffer size of audio sampling. Did not work.
- Whent to BIOS and disabled CPU Termal Throttle. Did not work.
- Alsow in BIOS, changed PCI Latency Timer from lowest of 32 whent up to 96. Somebody told me that if it's to low bad, to high bad. I tested a few different options. NOTHING worked.
OK! I found the problem using LatencyMon: raspppoe.sys (RAS PPPoE mini-port/ call manager-driver)
This raspppoe.sys is killing my sound. and the thing is I NEED HIM! Cuz my lame a** internet provider is forcing me to use a dial-up VPN connection. I have to connect this system so I can connect to the net.

My system specs are:
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 updated 2012 november
CPU: QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 840, 3119 MHz
Motherboard: ASRock M3N78D (yes it sucks)
Memory: 4gb DD3 Kingstone
Video Card: Sapphire ati hd 5670
Storage: SATA 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm , buffer size 32 mb
PSU : Corsair CX600

http://postimage.org/image/7hfjtpnnx/

http://postimage.org/image/i9g8pj44x/

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I have no idea how to fix the raspppoe.sys issue if you're forced to use it :angel
Posted Image

Kalilla

Kalilla
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 04-December 12
Hello MagicAndre1981, I love your topic.

I've followed everything until the end and basically found out that I'm having issues with usbport.sys

I really don't understand much about computers, I don't even know how to update my own drivers. I mean, I've tried right clicking them and update them, but windows says they are up to date. I don't want to go into some shop and spend money to fix this issue so I'm hoping that I can resolve this on my own, I just wish I knew how :(

I'll try my best to explain the issue.

When my computer is idle Interrupts are at around 3-4%. When I'm using it and downloading just about anything it jumps to 10%. If my download speed is very fast it will go to anywhere from 20% to 40%+.

I've opened up device manager, there I have:

Posted Image

Like I said before, I've tried right clicking and updating the drivers on all of them. I've tried disabling all of them and restarting the computer (which disabled my internet). Even then I had an idle 3-4% Interrupts.

It's not an issue when I'm idle, but if I'm downloading anything it really destroys the performance of my computer.

I hope that this can be saved, would feel great being able to fix something on my own.

I'd like to add that I use a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804 Laptop, Windows 7.

Also, I've put in a fresh hard drive from my previous laptop, same laptop model, wiped clean, and the issue remains. I'd also like to add that that laptop, before the motherboard failed, did not have any issues with Interrupts. I probably should have returned this laptop when I noticed the problem, but since I ordered online and really needed one I just couldn't spare the time w/o one any longer.

Also, this was a refurbished model. I won't disclose the company that did it unless needed.

Edited by Kalilla, 04 December 2012 - 11:57 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

upload the created ETL file which captures the 40% CPU usage. I'll look at it later.
Posted Image

Kalilla

Kalilla
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 04-December 12
Ah wow, I wasn't expecting a response that fast, I appoligize for not getting back to you.

I'm at work atm so I'm unable to, but when I get home I'll upload it.

Thank you again for the quick response.

Kalilla

Kalilla
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 04-December 12
Thank you again for assisting me, I've sent you a PM message about the PW.

Each were recorded for 90 seconds. I have one for after I start the computer, and one for when the Interrupts is high ~30%

I've also included a DxDiag file just in case it might help.

https://www.box.com/...5yfc782frgxyyao

I'll be keeping an eye on this topic, so I should be able to respond quickly if you reply. Thank you again for helping.

Edited by Kalilla, 05 December 2012 - 05:07 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Avast and your (Rtl8187b.sys) Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter cause the issues. Transferring data requires DPCs so because you use a USB device you have USBport.sys DPCs.

Update Avast and the realtek driver and hope that this fixes it.
Posted Image

Kalilla

Kalilla
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 04-December 12
Alright, I'll try to update the realtek driver you mentioned, Avast is updated though.

Kalilla

Kalilla
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 04-December 12
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-RTL8187B-Wireless-Lan-Driver-6-1089-5-1097.shtml

Is this the correct download?

I found the Realtek website, I'll try the non beta one

http://www.realtek.c...s=true#RTL8187B

Edited by Kalilla, 06 December 2012 - 12:45 AM.

Kalilla

Kalilla
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 04-December 12
I've installed it, there is a tray icon with a red circle and a black X over the blue crab..thing.

It says

no REALTEK RTL8187B Wireless LAN

Kalilla

Kalilla
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 04-December 12
I went into Device Manger and disabled Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter and the idle Interrupts went from 3.5-4% to 0.5-1%.

I still don't know exactly what I need to download though, I'm not sure why it says I don't have that.

Edited by Kalilla, 06 December 2012 - 01:26 AM.

Kalilla

Kalilla
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 04-December 12
it's 2 am, so I'm going to give up on this tonight for now. I'll check back in the morning.

I went to the toshiba website and downloaded two things from there for wifi, it actually responded this time unlike the Realtek website did. Still, same lame problem, so idk what to do.

Kalilla

Kalilla
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 04-December 12
Also, thoughts on a wi-fi adapter?

If I can't fix this problem, would it be better to just turn off the device permanently and pick one up for $24? I can afford to do that, I can't afford to take this in and have someone charge me a lot more to fix it.

I would much rather go for the free solution where I can figure this out without spending anything, but if I'm not able to fix it I'd like to know if that is a possibility.

This is what I looked at in case you were wondering~
http://www.walmart.c...9469730&veh=cse

edit: also, Ethernet cable isn't an option since I'm a floor above the router.

edit2: Also, I still have the old laptop that the motherboard failed on. If I opened up both of them and swapped out the wifi network adapter for the old one would that work?

They are basically the same laptop, so they should be the same parts as well. I'd probably just get the wi-fi adapter for $24 instead of going through the mess with all the screws.

Edited by Kalilla, 06 December 2012 - 02:41 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

edit2: Also, I still have the old laptop that the motherboard failed on. If I opened up both of them and swapped out the wifi network adapter for the old one would that work?

They are basically the same laptop, so they should be the same parts as well. I'd probably just get the wi-fi adapter for $24 instead of going through the mess with all the screws.

try it out. Internal Wifi cards are often much better compared to USB adapters.
Posted Image

Revolt

Revolt
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 10-September 12
I followed your steps until some point: i"Now go to the graphs "DPC CPU Usage" or "Interrupt CPU Usage" (depending where you high CPU usage) and select the intervall, make a right click and select "Load Symbols" and next click summary table."

I can't find "DPC CPU Usage" nor "Interrupt CPU Usage" graphs, and also the "Load Symbols" menu doesn't shows up when I right click a graph.

I downloaded LatencyMon and it showed me different result by running it multiple times including "ndis.sys", "dxgkrnl.sys", "nvlddmkm.sys". I uninstalled and installed both Realtek and Atheros drives but the cpu still stays at 80%-100%.

"Look in the dumped text files for µsec values which are over 256µsec."; I looked in the text file and many of them pass over 256µsec and I'm pretty sure this isn't a good thing. I'll attach it since I don't believe it shows up personal information.

Especially when it gets to 100% CPU the pc runs very slowly, even the cursor lags and I don't know how to solve it and it p***es me off. Can you please help me?

Iulian

Attached Files

• Attached File  dpc.txt   24.53KB   2 downloads

Edited by Revolt, 07 December 2012 - 09:32 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

if you're unsure, zip the ETL file and upload it.
Posted Image

Revolt

Revolt
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 10-September 12
Here's the etl zip DPC_Interrupt.zip

Edited by Revolt, 07 December 2012 - 09:32 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

First, O&O UnErase uses a lot of CPU. Does it need to be run all the time?

the driver with latencies over 256µs are ACPI.sys and nvlddmkm.sys:

Total = 14 for module ACPI.sys
Elapsed Time, > 0 usecs AND <= 1 usecs, 0, or 0.00%
Elapsed Time, > 1 usecs AND <= 2 usecs, 0, or 0.00%
Elapsed Time, > 2 usecs AND <= 4 usecs, 0, or 0.00%
Elapsed Time, > 4 usecs AND <= 8 usecs, 0, or 0.00%
Elapsed Time, > 8 usecs AND <= 16 usecs, 0, or 0.00%
Elapsed Time, > 16 usecs AND <= 32 usecs, 7, or 50.00%
Elapsed Time, > 32 usecs AND <= 64 usecs, 0, or 0.00%
Elapsed Time, > 64 usecs AND <= 128 usecs, 3, or 21.43%
Elapsed Time, > 128 usecs AND <= 256 usecs, 0, or 0.00%
Elapsed Time, > 256 usecs AND <= 512 usecs, 4, or 28.57%
Total, 14

Total = 2254 for module nvlddmkm.sys
Elapsed Time, > 0 usecs AND <= 1 usecs, 0, or 0.00%
Elapsed Time, > 1 usecs AND <= 2 usecs, 0, or 0.00%
Elapsed Time, > 2 usecs AND <= 4 usecs, 1, or 0.04%
Elapsed Time, > 4 usecs AND <= 8 usecs, 10, or 0.44%
Elapsed Time, > 8 usecs AND <= 16 usecs, 72, or 3.19%
Elapsed Time, > 16 usecs AND <= 32 usecs, 391, or 17.35%
Elapsed Time, > 32 usecs AND <= 64 usecs, 1574, or 69.83%
Elapsed Time, > 64 usecs AND <= 128 usecs, 134, or 5.94%
Elapsed Time, > 128 usecs AND <= 256 usecs, 55, or 2.44%
Elapsed Time, > 256 usecs AND <= 512 usecs, 17, or 0.75%
Total, 2254

the ACPI.sys issue comes from the battery. Update the NVIDIA GeForce G 103M driver to see if the nvlddmkm.sys issue is fixed.
Posted Image

Revolt

Revolt
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 10-September 12

First, O&O UnErase uses a lot of CPU. Does it need to be run all the time?

I just installed it when running the trace run and it was searching the entire C drive, so that's not the problem, it hanged out before installing it too.

the ACPI.sys issue comes from the battery. Update the NVIDIA GeForce G 103M driver to see if the nvlddmkm.sys issue is fixed.

I have problems with my battery but it didn't make my computer laggy before. It even shows a warning when I boot the PC but I don't have money to buy another one and also I can't see the connection; if I remove it it will solve the high cpu usage?

And the NVIDIA driver is up to date, should I uninstall it and install again? I saw it searches every day for updates ..

enzity

enzity
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 07-December 12
Hi andre, i registered to this board just cause i figured you have just the tools i need.

To start things of, lately i've been having wierd spikes in game with around 0.2s freeze every now and then (much like microstuttering, but not quite), so i checked my resource monitor and i noticed something i've never seen before; System interrupts process. Now i understand this is bad, and i believe you have the solution for me!

I tried both LatencyMon and xperf but since i didnt quite catch what to look for it didnt do much good for me, so here i'll upload the .etl file for you to look at!

DPC_interrupt.zip

My specs:

i5 2500k
GeForce GTX 670
8GB Corsair 1600MHz ram
Fractal Design Integra 650W
MSI P67A-C45

Usb devices:
SteelSeries Xai (Mouse)

PS/2 Devices:

Qpad MK-50 (Keyboard)

Thanks in advance! :) <3

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I have problems with my battery but it didn't make my computer laggy before. It even shows a warning when I boot the PC but I don't have money to buy another one and also I can't see the connection; if I remove it it will solve the high cpu usage?

yes, disable the battery or remove it and only use AC power.

I tried both LatencyMon and xperf but since i didnt quite catch what to look for it didnt do much good for me, so here i'll upload the .etl file for you to look at!

DPC_interrupt.zip

you have ISR (interrupt) spieks of the ataport.SYS driver. Do you run all your drives in AHCI mode or do you use the IDE mode?
Posted Image

enzity

enzity
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 07-December 12

yes, disable the battery or remove it and only use AC power.

DPC_interrupt.zip

you have ISR (interrupt) spieks of the ataport.SYS driver. Do you run all your drives in AHCI mode or do you use the IDE mode?

Now that you mentioned it, i did have a overclock malfunction not to long ago and had to reset cmos, and it seems it reverted the drives back to IDE mode, i swapped back to AHCI again but the process is still there :( However im playing BF3 right now and it dont seem like i have the stutter anymore, will edit if i notice it again.

edit: nope, it's not gone. What i've done up til now was changing back to ACHI mode, swapped the drives SATA ports a couple of times. I also tried resetting CMOS and immediatly put the AHCI mode on, no progress either... MEHHHHHH

What can i possibly try now ? I'm considering doing a fresh install, but i'm pretty scared it wont make a difference. What would you do in this situation? :P

note: In idle, the System Interrupts is no more than 0.5-1% usage on average, but when i play games that 1% bumps up to 3% and its all on Core0 which makes the game stutter from time to time... Pls halp!

Edited by enzity, 07 December 2012 - 06:01 PM.

Furyclaw

Furyclaw

• 11 posts
  • Joined 07-December 12
Hey Andre!

I'm running into some issues with my system and I am starting to get desperate. I've been trying to fix this issue for the past 4 hours without any luck.
I've managed to locate that my ACPI.sys file is getting DPC errors a lot.

So far, I've tried: Updating everything Windows wanted to update.
Tried (Unsucessfully) to update BIOS. For some reason it just won't flash.
I've tried all 3 power modes that come with my system. All 3 power modes that come with Windows.
Have tried updating all drivers I could find, but they all come back up to date.

Here's my Xperf file, hope you can make some use of it, as I just can't. http://www39.zippysh...11232/file.html

Win7 64Bit.
i5 3770k
16Gb Ram
Gtx 670

(Note: I will be at work until 2PM GMT, so no rush in responding until then.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

edit: nope, it's not gone. What i've done up til now was changing back to ACHI mode, swapped the drives SATA ports a couple of times. I also tried resetting CMOS and immediatly put the AHCI mode on, no progress either... MEHHHHHH

What can i possibly try now ? I'm considering doing a fresh install, but i'm pretty scared it wont make a difference. What would you do in this situation? :P

note: In idle, the System Interrupts is no more than 0.5-1% usage on average, but when i play games that 1% bumps up to 3% and its all on Core0 which makes the game stutter from time to time... Pls halp!

make a new tarce, this timw when using AHCI.

I've managed to locate that my ACPI.sys file is getting DPC errors a lot.

So far, I've tried: Updating everything Windows wanted to update.
Tried (Unsucessfully) to update BIOS. For some reason it just won't flash.
I've tried all 3 power modes that come with my system. All 3 power modes that come with Windows.
Have tried updating all drivers I could find, but they all come back up to date.

I can't really use the trace because it misses several events Increasing the buffer can help. Please run this:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 2048 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d DPC_Interrupt.etl

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users