Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1397 replies to this topic

max19

max19
  • 2 posts
Hi andre
I'm hoping that you could help me with my laptop issues. Firstly my CPU runs at aprx. 55% when nothing strainuous is being done, aslo when it is running at that % after a while my connection to my network becomes unidentified and the only way to get reconnected to the network is by restarting my laptop. I've tried disabling then re-enabling the ethernet controller in device manager but it doesn't help. I believe that the two problems are connected as I have never been disconnected from the network while the cpu % usage is normal.
I have gone through the steps that you gave us for identifying the cause of the high CPU usage and from the graph, ACPI.sys has the highest counts.
I don't know very much about computers and how to read the graph so could you please help me in this regard.

This is my 1st forum post too so I'm not too sure how to upload an image, do I click on insert image and drag the image into the box there?

Thanks for your time and will appreciate any help I can get.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

use the attachment function to upload pictures
Posted Image

max19

max19
  • 2 posts
Hi again, here are the pics:

this is the graph I get
Attached File  graphs.png   90.98KB   34 downloads

usage summery of interrupts
Attached File  UsageSummery.png   84.16KB   38 downloads

usage summery of the DCP
Attached File  UsageSummery-DCP_usage.png   108.71KB   34 downloads

Hope they help andthanks again.

glmoreky

glmoreky
  • 8 posts

I did a search for my motherboards chipset drivers but couldn't find one. So I created a restore point and then uninstalled the USB 1.1 and 2.0 OHCI Controllers and then rebooted. When the computer came back online, I let windows find the drivers for them, which included usbport.sys. So far so good...no latency or cpu usage issues. I'll report back in a day or two if the problem resurfaces.

Okay...it's been a day or two and it seems that by doing the above, it has resolved my issue. Two days with out interrupts. Not 100% positve that it will fix you guys problem, but it seems to have worked for me. Good luck.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

@max19

please read the complete topic. Several other users have also issue caused by the ACPI driver. Try the suggestion.
Posted Image

Jim

Jim
  • 1 posts
Fantastic!!!
My CPU was being dominated and one of my cores stayed maxed out ALL the time. Through your tutorial, I found Bonjour to be the culprit. I did not uninstall, but just deactivated at start-up. When I rebooted my Pavilion dv6000 laptop both cores were running consistently between 0-14% when idle - wonderful!! Prior to uninstalling Bonjour, I read another post explaining that Microsoft Security Essentials did not run well with other anti-virus programs. I began using Norton 360 and there may have been some conflicts there. I'm not sure which of these gave the biggest improvement, but I am thankful that you took the time to give these very handy step-by-step instructions.
Thanks again - Jim

htrieu

htrieu
  • 2 posts
Hi Andre, I followed your procedure to determine the cause of the high CPU usage. It seems that ataport.sys is the culprit, averaging 30.68% CPU usage over the interval I highlighted. USBPORT.sys accounts for 4.64% of the CPU usage. I am running an Asus P5E Deluxe motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. I downloaded the latest drivers from Asus for my P5E, but no luck. My hard drive is a Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black. Some people found NCQ to cause the issue, but my NCQ is turned off and so is AHCI.

A screenshot of my Interrupt CPU Usage Summary Table is attached. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by htrieu, 23 May 2010 - 05:13 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

Have you checked the cables of your HDD?
Posted Image

htrieu

htrieu
  • 2 posts

Have you checked the cables of your HDD?

thanks for the reply Andre. I fixed the issue by disabling the JMicron PATA controller in BIOS.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

ok, great that you fixed it.
Posted Image

AndreYz

AndreYz
  • 2 posts
hi , i have followed ur steps and so far i got stuck at one point , when i enter the command xperf -on latency i get this -xperf:error:NT Kernel Logger: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.<0xb7>. pls tell me if this is what i should see or if i did smth wrong . ty

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

Hi,

sorry, this is not the result you should get. I've never seen this message before.

Have you installed the x64 version of the WPT?
Posted Image

AndreYz

AndreYz
  • 2 posts

Hi,

sorry, this is not the result you should get. I've never seen this message before.

Have you installed the x64 version of the WPT?

sry for the late respons , yes i installed the x64 version of WPT but anyway i unistalled the x64 version of win7 and installed win7 x86 version , and i have the same high (100%) cpu , ill try ur tutorial when i get back from work . hope i wont have any problems . ill post later today :)

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

When you use the x64 of Windows 7 you must install the x64 version of WPT.
Posted Image

neotyp

neotyp
  • 5 posts
Hi Andre, could you please take a look on pictures below? I have usually problem when i connect some USB device, but sometimes just on mouse move the system blows up, processors are on 100% and disk usage is also extremely high, need to restart my notebook :(
I have all drivers updated with Driver genius professional to the newest, but not helped. Also BIOS is updated to latest...

system:
Acer Aspire 8935G
:: Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2 GHz
:: Memory - 4096 MB, DDR3
:: Graphics adapter - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 - 1024 MB, Core: 675 MHz, Memory: 800 MHz, DDR3
:: Harddisk - TOSHIBA MK5055GSX, 320GB 5400rpm
WIN 7 PRO x86

http://img294.images...i/23394017.jpg/

http://img693.images...i/55481186.jpg/

thanks in advance
Tom

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   227.71KB   27 downloads
  • Attached File  1.jpg   225.46KB   32 downloads

Edited by neotyp, 27 May 2010 - 09:54 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

please zip the etl file and upload (Rapidshare.com or SkyDrive if you have a LiveID) it please and post the link here.
Posted Image

neotyp

neotyp
  • 5 posts
Hi, here is the etl file. The record is just about 30sec long. Yesterday I have tryied to record longer, but then it was about 1.2GB uncompressed and also cant open it, there was some error that there are not enough resources to open it...

http://rapidshare.co...errupt.rar.html

davidov2009

davidov2009
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

I also have massive DPC latency issues (spikes >60.000us in DPC Latency Checker), but it doesn't come with high CPU usage at all! If I analyse the .etl file of Win Perf Analyser, the Interrupt and DPC CPU usage is just around 0,5% :blink: See the attached screens.

When I restart my PC the latency problem is away for 5 minutes or so and then gets worse by the minute. It slows down almost any application (Windows runs like I have a 1Ghz Celeron) and seriously distorts sound playback esp. in video files. System is almost unworkable.

Any idea what could be causing this? Hardware failure maybe? Or a driver problem?

I will upload the .etl file to SkyDrive asp.

System specs:
Asus P5Q, Intel Core2Duo Q6600, 3GB DDR2 1066Mhz, ATI Radeon 4870, Win 7 x64

Attached Files

Edited by davidov2009, 29 May 2010 - 10:46 AM.

neotyp

neotyp
  • 5 posts
davidov, I have sometimes the same problems as you. I just restarted my notebook 5 mins before because had the troubles as you described above :(
on mousemove the sound was distorted and the system was extremely slow. I am very unpleased with this notebook/windows
This notebook was distributed with Win Vista Home but I have reinstalled it on the 1st day, probably I will try install Vista and will see if the problems will continue

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

Hi neotyp,

your etl file hast 49000 lost events.

The sdbus.sys is causing the DPC issue. Are you using the latest drivers for your SD card reader (SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller)? What is the vendor of this device?

For the interrupts, the driver is again unknown.

@davidov2009

upload the file please.
Posted Image

neotyp

neotyp
  • 5 posts
Thank you for checking Andre,

I found just this about SD card reader:
- Manufacturer SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller Vendor
but I have disabled it and will see if problems will continue. If yes, then I will try Vista or probably some linux distribution. Its very annoying to restart the notebook 2-3x a day.

I tryied more times record etl file when the system was wrong, but every time has been lost some events and when the computer worked well, the etl file was ok. You dont know why this happens? And when the system was fine the etl file has just about 25MB every recorded minute.

fearking

fearking
  • 2 posts
Hello Andre!

I'm having the same problem as others. I have 60-70% CPU usage by DPC and Interrupts. I followed your instructions, and made the test with Win 7 SDK. I uploaded the DPC_Interrupt.zip file to Skydrive, please have a look into it. As I can see, the problem is caused by "ACPI.sys", but I don't know what to do with it.

Here is the link:
DPC_Interrupt

I hope you can help me fix this problem, because I really want to use Windows 7, but with this CPU usage I can't. This problem does not persist in Win XP or Vista, only Win 7.

Thank you in advance,
Patrik.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,942 posts

Donator

@neotyp

Currently I don't really have an idea about it.

@ fearking

please read what others here made when they got the ACPI.sys issue.
Posted Image

fearking

fearking
  • 2 posts

@neotyp

Currently I don't really have an idea about it.

@ fearking

please read what others here made when they got the ACPI.sys issue.

Well, I didn't find the solution for my problem in this thread. Any other suggestions ? I have the Latest BIOS, Chipset drivers, and the other usual stuff.

neotyp

neotyp
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

as I have last Friday disabled SD card reader on my notebook, problems vent gone.
I dont needed to restart my notebook whole week, I have checked driver for card reader, but I have nothing newest found. I dont using that device, so it isnt problem for me :)

Anyway, thanks Andre for your effort and helping

br. Tom

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN