Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1399 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

some DPC usage comes from the LEqdUsb.Sys/LHidFilt.Sys (Logitech driver).

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jobambo

jobambo
  • 2 posts

Hello MagicAndre1981, 

Thank you for this guide and all the help you have provided. I have been experiencing an issue for the past week that I can not seem to fix. My computer has stutters that is noticeable in all windows. This issue happened suddenly. I have PMed you a trace using one of your very old guides.

I have noticed HAL.DLL causing the majority of the systematic spikes. Also, in Process Monitor, I have noticed that there is a Regedit change that happens 100x a second that is possibly linked with the Steam program. The Regedits stop when Steam is closed but the spikes remain. HAL.DLL could be causing the steam issue.

Also, do you have the setup files for the old version of xperfview.exe? I have found a single source for Windows toolkit version 4.1.1 which includes xperfview.exe but it does not have the ability to assign symbols using an internet source as you have pointed in your guide.

Let me know if you can offer any advice. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by jobambo, 11 June 2014 - 12:09 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

the cpu usage comes from the nVIDIA driver. Please try a different one and look if this improves it. Also try to put the GPU into a different PCIe slot, if this is possible.

Posted Image

jobambo

jobambo
  • 2 posts

the cpu usage comes from the nVIDIA driver. Please try a different one and look if this improves it. Also try to put the GPU into a different PCIe slot, if this is possible.

Sorry for not replying earlier. The numerous times I tried to tinker with the PC to fix this issue caused me to spill water and short out my keyboard.

To clarify, the current issue is my computer's cpu is heartbeating to ~10% every second. This causes a small stutter on any application including the desktop. Videos are not being able to be played smoothly regardless of format or quality. This came out of nowhere as this is my main TV watching PC.

Thank you for the suggestion of moving the GPU, unfortunately moving the card to the 8x PCIE slot did not change the spikes. But, you were right about Nvidia. I did notice that the stock intel VGA drivers did not cause any spikes and idled my CPU at 0%. At this time I have pretty much done everything related to this issue and following every thread on google for the first 20 pages. Tried:

Updating and downgrading every driver on the machine. 

Tried 4 different Nvidia versions. 

Every possible scan has been preformed. (Memtest, Malewarebytes, Intel Processor Diag, Antivirus x5, ect...)

BIOS was up to date prior to the issue. 

Computer is fulled cleaned and dusted. 

Disconnected every USB port.

Disabled devices and services, one by one, with restarts. a very tedious experiment.

Clean boot - No stutter on Intel GPU drivers, otherwise remains the same.

This thread will be my last hope. I never have accepted defeat to a windows machine, but 50 hours later, I am considering it.

As always, a reformat fixes everything. 

Edit: should probably post some specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 42 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1066MHz (11-11-11-30)
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (CPUSocket) 40 °C
Graphics
Panasonic-TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
ELDFT501J (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (ASRock)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (PNY) 40 °C
Storage
465GB MAXTOR STM3500630AS ATA Device (SATA) 50 °C
1397GB Western Digital WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 ATA Device (SATA) 44 °C
111GB TOSHIBA MKNSSDCR120GB ATA Device (SSD) 42 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device (SATA) 44 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device

Edited by jobambo, 12 June 2014 - 08:46 PM.

AteraK

AteraK
  • 2 posts

run a the xperf commadns and give me the ETL file. But stop LatencyMon before running xperf!

Sorry for sounding stupid, but this thing seems a bit too advanced for me. I don't really know how to run those commands even after reading your tutorial, nor how to get the ETL file. Could you possibly simplify it for me?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

simply run cmd.exe as admin and copy/paste the command there

http://superuser.com...pt-in-windows-8

http://windows.micro...or-access-token

Posted Image

kasma

kasma
  • 2 posts

Hey there,

i am suffering from DPC drop outs, latency spikes.

I tried to solve the problem, disabled not neccesarry hardware like wlan, etc.

updated all the drivers. It kinda works when disabling the acpi.sys with process hacker but i still get drop outs from time to time.

what makes it almost impossible to use the laptop for live music performances.

I tried to log the data with xperf, but somehow i cant find the DPC CPU usage table..maybe i did something wrong.

i also run the DPC latency mon wich results are that the laptop is not suitable for playing realtime audio.

Its a samsung ativ 9 plus and i kinda get frustrated especially for the high price it was.

i hope u can help me thanks a lot

https://dl.dropboxus...er_Disabled.rar

https://dl.dropboxus...S_supsended.rar

https://dl.dropboxus.../25112028/1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxus.../25112028/2.jpg

Edited by kasma, 03 July 2014 - 06:38 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

you've sued the wrong SDK/WPT version. Make sure you use the 8.1 WPT if you use Windows 8.1

Posted Image

kasma

kasma
  • 2 posts

Thanks,

i installed the 8.1 SDK this time,

it does look different but i couldnt manage to find the right graphs  :huh:

https://dl.dropboxus...ry_disabled.rar

https://dl.dropboxus...I_suspended.rar

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

the new WPA.exe tool sucks completely. Suspended is better (only ACPI.sy spikes between 128 usecs AND <=      256 usecs). With the battery disabled it is still over 1024. I can't really debug this from the ETL. You must disable devices until you find out which one causes it

Posted Image

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Just made the move from AMD to Intel and it looks like I've got the same old problem with the network components of Windows causing latency problems.

Latency_Mon_Drivers.png

Latency_Mon_Main.png

Not sure how to make a trace though, as I know I mustn't have LatencyMon running whilst I do that but without it I can't tell when it's spiked and I should stop the trace. In these screenshots, it spiked after about two minutes but I've restarted it and now it's been running for three and only hit 417us (which is still too high for my liking but LM says it's OK).

Andunemir

Andunemir
  • 9 posts

Hi,

I'm coming back with the usual combination of high DPC/sound stuttering in Windows 7 x64.

It happened to me before and I managed to pin it down to AVG issues before. Uninstalled it and everything ran smoothly until a few days ago. I know I did some updates with my antispyware software and also with the Microsoft Anti-Malware but doing rounds of disabling stuff I haven't managed to correct the problem so any help would be most welcome.

I've run xperf as I was told when I found the AVG issue and this is the file with the result: CPU

I have a Toshiba Satellite with these specs:

Processor: Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.30GHz
RAM: 16GB
Sound: Onboard Realtek
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

Cheers!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

I can't download the file. I get a captcha with no text which I should enter :(

Posted Image

Andunemir

Andunemir
  • 9 posts

I can't download the file. I get a captcha with no text which I should enter :(

That's weird, it works for me in all my internet browsers, logged in or not. Give it another try and let me know... Will try other site if it doesn't work.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

compress the file as 7z/RAR amd upload it somewhere please, please. I doesn't work for me.

Posted Image

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

It seems quite clear from LatencyMon that the network components are causing the high latency. ndis.sys - 1.23ms NETIO.sys - 0.56ms, tcpip.sys - 0.33ms. The next highest is storport.sys - 0.20ms

I don't know if it will capture anything, as I wasn't running LatencyMon at the same time so couldn't see what was happening but I left the trace running for three minutes before capturing it, so maybe it will show something helpful if you'd be good enough to take a look.

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Andunemir

Andunemir
  • 9 posts

compress the file as 7z/RAR amd upload it somewhere please, please. I doesn't work for me.

Let's see if the Drive trick works, otherwise I'll put it on Dropbox...

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

It seems quite clear from LatencyMon that the network components are causing the high latency. ndis.sys - 1.23ms NETIO.sys - 0.56ms, tcpip.sys - 0.33ms. The next highest is storport.sys - 0.20ms

look for a driver update of the driver e1d64x64.sys (Intel network card driver)

Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

Let's see if the Drive trick works, otherwise I'll put it on Dropbox...

please update the Intel Wireless driver Netwsw00.sys and see if this improves it. You also have NDIS.sys DPC spikes. Also update /remove Panda (NNSHttp.sys).

Edited by MagicAndre1981, 20 July 2014 - 01:37 AM.

Posted Image

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

look for a driver update of the driver e1d64x64.sys (Intel network card driver)

Thanks but I appear to already have the latest v12.11.96.1 dated 14/3/2014, which I got from the Asus website but is also contained in this under PRO1000/Winx64/NDIS64
https://downloadcent...Y&DwnldID=21642

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

also try some older ones.

Posted Image

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I managed to get the DPC latency under controlling by disabling all the ASUS services and stopping AI Suite.exe from loading and then I get something like this at idle:

Latency_Mon_idle_LAN.png

However, when i went to copy some 45GB from my other PC over the LAN, it went to hell:

Latency_Mon_whilst_copying_files_over_LA

When it's transferring slowly (FreeFileSync showing around 5 KB/s, which I presume is because there's a lot of small files so it can't build up speed or something) then this doesn't happen but as soon as it goes up to 5-10 MB/s then boom!

I made another trace over a minute whilst the file transfer was running (without LatencyMon of course), which might show something I guess:

I downloaded a few older drivers to test, 18.5, 18.7, 18.8.1 but none of them work with my hardware and the only one that worked was 19.0 (the latest is 19.1). It didn't make any difference to my problem unfortunately.

EDIT: It seems if I put the Power setting to High Performance, so that the CPU runs constantly at 4400Mhz, then I don't get any latency spikes when transferring files. Switching back to Balanced and I couldn't seem to trigger the problem copying with Explorer but with FreeFileSync, once it hit about 20 MB/s it happened, likewise with Teracopy.

EDIT2: Seems even High Performance doesn't quite solve the problem. I wasn't even transferring files when this happened so it seems to have been caused by browsing:
Latency_Mon_High_Performance.jpg

Edited by doveman, 23 July 2014 - 12:09 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

the network driver causes the usage. this is normal when you transfer a lot of data.

Posted Image

doveman

doveman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
It doesn't happen when I run in High Performance though. If it's normal when transferring a lot of data, it would mean it happens when streaming video or maybe playing online games and would cause stuttering, etc, so I don't think it can be normal.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

DPC activity is normal when doing network transfer. But they should take less than 1024µs to avoid video/audio issues.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN