Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by applications

Ok, you found this guide because you see a high CPU usage in ProcessExplorer/Task manager.

If you see this:

Attached File  ProcessExplorer_DPC_1.png   37.7KB   996 downloads

you have an issue with a driver. To trace this, follow this guide:

http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=140263

Here you'll lean to see the cause of a Windows Exe/Service which causes a high CPU usage.

To get started you need the Windows Performance Tools Kit. Read here how to install it:

http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=146919

Now open a command prompt (cmd.exe) with admin rights, go to a directory like C:\temp and run the following commands:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile

now wait a time while the high CPU usage from an application occurs and wait a few seconds until enough data are traced.

To stop the trace run the following command:

xperf -d latency.etl

This closes the trace and writes the result to the file latency.etl.

In the next step, make a double click on the etl file to run the Viewer.

Now wait until the 2 passes are over.

Go to "Trace"->"Configure Symbol Paths" and type in the following:

srv*C:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Click ok, to close the dialog.

Now go to the graph "CPU sampling per CPU" and select the interval where you have the high CPU usage, make a right click and select "Load Symbols" and next click "clone selection". Make a rightclick again and select "summary tabke" and you see this:

Attached File  CPUusage_xperfview_CPUSampling_per_Process.png   15.13KB   426 downloads

and look which process causes the CPU usage (Here it is the TrustedInstaller.exe)

Now, go to the first graph "Stack Counts by Type", make a right click and select Summary Table.

Attached File  CPUusage_xperfview.png   10.69KB   407 downloads

Now, you have to accept the license agreement to download the public debugging symbols.

(NOTE, THE PDBs ARE SOMETIME VERY HUGE. BE AWARE THAT IT MAY TAKE SOME TIME IF YOU HAVE A SLOW INTERNET CONNECTION.

Here you'll see summary of the calls (make sure you sort the data per Count: Sampled Profile) and locate the Process from the former summary table which causes the high CPU usage. The important thing is the "Stack". Expand the view until the count number reduces much and you see this:

Attached File  xperfview_cpuusage_stack.png   61.81KB   734 downloads

For me, the high CPU usage from explorer is caused while searching for installed apps to show them inside the Software- Add/remove Dialog (CreateItemIDFromInstalledApps).

If you can't see Thread names in the stack, the PDBs are missing. So if the issue occurs in a Microsoft application like Office or MSE, the required symbols are not available on the symbol server so you can't find the cause.

If you have high CPU usage in Firefox add the this:

;SRV*c:\symbols\*http://symbols.mozilla.org/firefox

to the symbol path in xperfview and load the symbols again to see more.

If you develop your own tool, add the path to your PDB files which generated the VC++ compiler for you.

If no symbols are available, look at the filename to see which program it is and run this command:

xperf -I latency.etl -a fileversion > fileversion.txt

Now open the fileversion.txt and search for the program. Now look at the fileversion, to a bing/google search to see if this is the latest version of the program. If not, update it and see if this update fixes it. If you use the latest version and the issue is not fixed contact the support and send the etl to them, so that they can see the cause of the high CPU usage in their applications.

// Edit 2010-03-22

To enable Stackwalk on a x64 Windows, you have to set a registry value. Start Regedit.exe and go to the following key:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

and create a DWORD (if it not already exists) DisablePagingExecutive and set the value to 1 and reboot to enable the setting.

The Debugging Team made a Video about this too. Check it out:

http://blogs.msdn.co...onsumption.aspx

Edited by MagicAndre1981, 30 July 2011 - 07:17 AM.

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Strepnox

Strepnox
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
MagicAndre:

Great instructions!! What happens if you end up with an "unknown" process?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Hi,

have you selected Load Symbols?

André
Posted Image

Strepnox

Strepnox
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
Yes, Andre...took awhile. The first table I looked at (and graph) only listed the process as "unknown". Gave it a second try and it appears (while playing online game Everquest) I got a three minute lag/maxed CPU usage that I was lucky enough to capture. Half the count (659k+) is in the idle process, the other half the game. First process is -amdppm.sys!C1Halt followed buy hundreds of single count, un-named processes. I'd send you the stacks summary table if I knew how.

Strepnox

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

C1 Halt ( http://www.hardwares...m/article/611/2 and http://en.wikipedia....Power_Interface ) is a power saving feature and doesn't slow down your PC.

Could you please zip the trace and upload it somewhere?
Posted Image

Strepnox

Strepnox
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10

C1 Halt ( http://www.hardwares...m/article/611/2 and http://en.wikipedia....Power_Interface ) is a power saving feature and doesn't slow down your PC.

Could you please zip the trace and upload it somewhere?

Thx for the quick response...here's sys info: MW 7 Premium [6.1.7600 Build 7600] HP Pav Mod: NY545AA-ABA p6210y X64 AMD Ath II x 4 620 Proc, 6 GB RAM

This problem arose recently on a three month-old system. Manifested in severe random lag while playing Everquest. Episodes start within five minutes of playing and are independent of gameplay dynamics; even occurs when character select screen is up and game is not being used. The occurrences last from one to three minutes then stop. I imagine if I had less mem I would be cursed with BSOD.

Trace:[url="http://www.mediafire.../?lgzzjtinkoo"] -- File name: Feb17trace.zip 27.9 MB zipped

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Hi,

I can see that you have spikes in your Audio Subsystem. Those spikes occur every 11 seconds and take 6.7 seconds. I can see that you have a RealTek HD Audio device. Do you use the latest drivers?

André
Posted Image

Strepnox

Strepnox
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10

Hi,

I can see that you have spikes in your Audio Subsystem. Those spikes occur every 11 seconds and take 6.7 seconds. I can see that you have a RealTek HD Audio device. Do you use the latest drivers?

André

About a week ago (after perusing all these forums), I was careful to check all of the drivers (audio, Nvidia, etc.) and upgraded as necessary. I even disabled the HD audio, the Nvidia 3D (each individually), to try and isolate but nothing changed. The last Realtek Windows update was updated a few days ago. So, to the best of my knowledge, all drivers are up-to-date. I have even scoured Sony's EQ tech forums to see if it's an interface issue on EQ's end, and find nothing.

My symptoms are identical to all of the other high CPU usage problems cited in these forums, but fall short of the BSOD. Just can't seem to isolate the process that's causing it, and remain curious about the stack table as there is a process near the bottom (with a relatively low count) that comes up as "unknown" at the beginning of the CPU spike.

Strepnox

Strepnox
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
Okay...time to post the sad hard truth in hopes that someone else might benefit from my misery.

If you're getting maxed CPU usage and you are running INTEGRATED graphics (like Nvidia GeForce 9100), make sure you check CPU temps. Open the box, pull out the over-priced can of compressed air and blow out the heat exchanger and fan. This is as simple a fix as a car that won't start, but not checking to see if there is gas in the tank!

Never would have believed it, but after checking countless forums for a week, an Nvidia forum revealed the fix that integrated graphics, lame though they are, are especially susceptible to the slightest layer of dust which, of course, impacts temps and response. I have had deeper layers of dust on the toilet seat, so I never would have believed such a minute bit of matter could have made such a difference!

Embarrassing though it is, after countless diagnostics, driver reloads, clean boots and re-installs, keep the bugger clean!

Magic Andre...thanx for your help! Thank you for the education!!!

Good luck all!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

ok, great to hear, that you fixed it :)
Posted Image

skaustin

skaustin
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 28-October 10
Thanks for your efforts.

Edited by skaustin, 28 October 2010 - 03:43 PM.

jimward

jimward
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 10-November 10
I intalled the Windows Performance Toolkit. However, when I enter the xperf command, I get an error stating that xperf is not a valid command. Should xperf have installed with the Windows Performance Toolkit? I reinstalled a couple times, but still have the problem.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

look at the PATH environment variable and check if the path to the WPT was added.
Posted Image

Killgore

Killgore

• 32 posts
  • Joined 28-September 04
Hi!

I have similar problem with svchost.exe eating up to 50 % of CPU cycles. Especially after waking up from hibernation.

I've attached three legs that unfold from svchost in "Summary Table" that have most counts. It appears that it has something to do with windows firewall, but I can't go further than that.

Maybe for someone these numbers will be clearer.

Regards,
Chris

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpu.txt   12.53KB   50 downloads

Regards,
Chris

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

this looks like the Windows Firewall is the cause.
Posted Image

Killgore

Killgore

• 32 posts
  • Joined 28-September 04
Do you have any assumptions what could be the root cause? I'm working in domain network and nobody else seems to have similar problems. I mean those entries in Stack Counts look like firewall is constantly updating it's entries. What could be the reason? And I do not use any network heavy programs.
Regards,
Chris

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

run Process Monitor in background and look what the Firewall does all the time.
Posted Image

skoob

skoob
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 04-May 11
Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit on a laptop with a wireless internet connection. Im having similar 100% cpu usage problems because of svchosts. The cpu is constantly at 100% for atleast 20 mins after startup or rebooted network connection, if the computer is left alone to run the services. Once everything is running its fine and the cpu settles at 20-30%. According to the processmonitor the problem seem to have something to do with iphlpsvc, netman, lanman and possibly some other service, which are the services that run during the problems.

I've seen people with similar issues with for example Win 7 beta but havent found any fix. Any help would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

run the xperf trace and upload the zipped trace to mediafire.com
Posted Image

skoob

skoob
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 04-May 11
Thanks!

http://www.mediafire...bp37a9ryhnau10o

Hope it works

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

the IP Helper service from Windows causes the high CPU usage (91.11%). Update the Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter and Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller drivers first and if this doesn't solve it, stop the service.

Edited by MagicAndre1981, 04 May 2011 - 07:54 AM.

Posted Image

fsuphd

fsuphd
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 10-May 11
Hi,

Just finished getting a new system up - ASUS P8P67, Intel I-Core 5-2500K, 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 -1600, EGA GeForce 9400 GT Video card, 650W Power Supply, Windows 7 Ultimate. Using 2 logical HDD's (each as a RAID 1) attached to the Intel SATA 3.0 ports and 2 DVD-RW's attached to the Intel SATA 6.0 ports. Marvell SATA 6.0 ports used for external ports. No Overclocking used. Basic applications (e.g. Office 2007, Quicken, Adobe, etc.) installed. System will run for a variable amount of time and then the "System" process takes over 25% of the CPU usage but brings the system operation to a halt. Periodically, cycles will be made available but not for very long - seconds at most. The typical timeframe is in the 20 min. range but I have run for 2 - 3 hours a couple of times. I did run an Xperf trace once and the big user was "iaStor.sys!?" but I'm not sure how to interpret that result.

I also talked with ASUS and Intel (iaStor.sys is their module) but got nada from them - am I using the most current BIOS?(Yes!), do I have the most recent drivers? (Yes!), have I done a clean install? (Yes - multiple times). Well, then, it's not our problem (my paraphrase). So I'm hopeing someone else out there has run into this situation and can point me in a new direction.

Thanks for any help on this very frustrating situation,

John...

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

can you upload the trace file, please (zip it and upload it to mediafire.com)?
Posted Image

fsuphd

fsuphd
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 10-May 11
Thanks. Here is the link - http://www.mediafire...68l2biirbaby9t. Let me know if you need anything else.

John...

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

yes it is correct. The iaStor.sys drivers allocates some memory (kernel pool memory) and this causes the CPU usage. This driver belongs to the Intel Storage drivers. Do you have the latest drivers installed?

Have you tried to connect the HDDs to the SATA6GB Ports?
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN