Login to Account Create an Account
How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?
Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:03 PM
Appreciate the look see and confirmation of what the data suggests. Guess my next approach is to RMA the mobo and try a different one. Any recommendations for a non-gamer type mobo?
Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:18 PM
Tunnel connection: Connection to local network* 1
Connection specific DNS-suffix: ___ (as in nothing)
Tunnel connection: Connection to local network* 2
Connection specific DNS-suffix: ___ (except for the last one where its said LAN)
and so on until 680ish. im guessing that this isnt good and could be whats draining the cpu, right? Any advice on what this means or how to reduce or remove these tunnel connections?
Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:41 AM
Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:39 AM
it would however be nice to know why this happened to i can stop it if it is still going on... any ideas?
Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:10 PM
Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:03 PM
For the past month my CPU has been going from 0%-40% sometimes even to 100%. I checked the resource monitor and saw that NT Kernel and System is responsible but I don't know what program or application is causing the problem. I performed a trace and I have the result up on mediafire. I'm using Windows 7 x64. Can you help?
Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:18 PM
as you can see in the picture the iastor.sys causes 16% of the CPU usage.
System.png 5.36KB 18 downloads
This driver belongs to the Intel storage driver. You use version 10.1.2.1004. Is this the latest version? If not, update the driver. If this is the latest driver, use the version before this driver. If the issue still occurs, check your Hitachi HDD for errors (run chkdsk C: /r /f) and run a diagnostic tool from Hitachi.
Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:43 PM
Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:49 PM
Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:23 PM
Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:56 PM
Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:57 PM
EDIT: Nevermind I found out how to uninstall and I found the previous version. Once again thanks for your help André.
Edited by Dragonmaninferno, 22 June 2011 - 08:25 PM.
Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:27 AM
Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:25 PM
Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:58 PM
Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:18 PM
I've been searching for a while trying to solve the same issue and your forum seems to be the most proficient and your response prompt.
- Laptop CPU 100% typically when viewing videos or flash, but I cannot always confirm this is the cause. Typically though while in a browser.
- Dell Laptop (detail below) recently upgraded to Win 7 64
- Same issue happened on Vista and I thought the upgrade would take care of it
- Disabled Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and didn't seem to work
- Unplugged monitor (Hannspree HDMI) because I thought it was a driver issue, didn't have a long-term effect.
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.1 Ghz
RAM 3 GB DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1
I have downloaded the SDK and installed but the xperf command shows as invalid. I have read the post in Nov. 2010 with this " PATH environment variable and check if the path to the WPT was added". How do you check this variable/path?
I have changed the registry key as you instructed for 64 bit Win 7.
If I can run your commands I will post the issue here for your evaluation if I cannot figure it out.
Thank you in advance.
Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:25 PM
Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:52 PM
Here's my test:
- Open Chrome Browser
- Go to CNN.com and play a video and waited about 1 minute for CPU to hit 100%
- Captured a .etl file for two instances.
Instance 1 = Playing video in browser then pausing
Instance 2 = Closing Chrome tab for video
.etl files are large so I have only attached screen shots of these. Once I finish this post I will zip and post the smaller file (55 MB) if you wish to see it. I stopped my video test approx. 25 mins ago and the CPU is still at 100% or very close to it, so it is very slow zipping and FTPing a file.
Attached are four files:
Capture_1a = Summary table from Instance #1
Capture_1b = Summary table with Chrome.exe expanded
Capture_2a = Summary table from instance #2
Capture_2b = Expanded
You'll notice Task manager is open as well and I did this to monitor CPU but Task Manager also locked up and required reboot twice while getting the .etl files.
I'll post a zip location of the smaller etl if you want to view this.
Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:16 PM
Your driver for the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G is very old: 220.127.116.1162 (2009.02.28)
So update the driver, please:
now check if the new driver fixed it.
Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:15 PM
I downloaded the driver v275.33
It appeared to work a little better but went back to CPU100% after I opened one tab in Chrome and viewed a CNN video. I would like to test in IE and FF but it takes about 20 minutes before the CPU comes back down I haven't done it yet. I will this evening.
Currenlty I only have Chrome (to write this) and Windows Live Mail open. Running 57 - 90% for about 15 mins, then just dropped to 8.
I am a web developer so I look at a lot of sites and if one of them happens to have a flash movie on it, I lock up.
Edited by laptoptraveler, 27 July 2011 - 05:16 PM.
Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:39 PM
xperf -start perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer NOW Run the programs which cause the cpu usage xperf -stop perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer 100CPUUsage.etl
zip and upload the 100CPUUsage.etl.
Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:56 PM
Thank you very much!
Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:14 PM
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users