Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

farahahmad

farahahmad
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-February 12
ohhh sorry did u mean i shld upload the DPC_interrupt.etl file. then here it is.. http://www.mediafire...73l6bt1i228fbjy

thanks

Edited by farahahmad, 24 February 2012 - 06:35 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

looks like you have a PCIExpress issue. If you have different PCI-E16 slots plug the ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 into the other slot. The diagnostic policy service detects this issues. Also look into the Even log for more details about the PCI-E hardware issue.
Posted Image

farahahmad

farahahmad
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-February 12
Thnx for ur support i will try that out. But the event log has no entries under hardware issues. the problem started the from the time I installed windows 7, which is just a few days ago. I was using windows XP before that. And the graphics card has always been working fine in the same slot. Also the cpu usage was fine (~0 when idle) when i was using XP. Do you think this problem could be because of a driver conflict caused by the graphics card?? I have tried updating the drivers but there is no change, the cpu usage is almost constantly at 100%

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

XP doesn't have such an service and can't detect such issues. The service causes the high CPU usage because it write the data to the eventlog. Which motherboard do you have?
Posted Image

farahahmad

farahahmad
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-February 12
motherboard name- Biostar P4M900-M7 FE
bus type- intel AGTL
bus width- 64 bit

farahahmad

farahahmad
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-February 12
I cant believe this!! i finally solved this... would you believe my problem was due to the power plan i was using. The power plan was set was on balanced, which is the recommended one. I changed it to high performance and voila the cpu usage drops back to ~0 when idle..

Thanks for your support

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

the power options have an entry to control PCI-E power saving. Try to disable this for the balanced power plan.
Posted Image

farahahmad

farahahmad
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-February 12
well that makes much more sense.. thank you much!!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

has this solved the issue, too? High performance is not recommend because all power saving options are disabled.
Posted Image

farahahmad

farahahmad
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-February 12
yes it does... i did think it was not the 'right' solution if i had to change it from the recommended settings, but I just needed to change the PCI-E setting

Thanks again

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

but I just needed to change the PCI-E setting

ok :)

Thanks again

You're welcome :)
Posted Image

evilpedro

evilpedro
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 12-February 12
nvm, posted in wrong thread, should have been the interrupt one.

Edited by evilpedro, 15 March 2012 - 10:37 AM.

milletian

milletian
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 06-May 12
hello, I'm trying to follow your tutorial but encountered a problem. After typing in "xperf -on latency -stalkwalk profile" into cmd, i get "xperf: error: xperf: argument -stalkwalk unexpected."

any help on solving this? i downloaded the Windows Performance Toolkit and the installed x64 file for Windows x64 systems.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Hi,

you made a spelling mistake: "StaCkwalk, not StaLkwalk.

André
Posted Image

milletian

milletian
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 06-May 12

Hi,

you made a spelling mistake: "StaCkwalk, not StaLkwalk.

André

... *facepalm* okay, i feel stupid now.
thanks.. not for the feeling stupid but for pointing it out! ahahahah haaaaaaah

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

ok, if you need help, compress the trace and upload it (skydrive, dropbix, mediafire.com) and send me the link.
Posted Image

tuner

tuner
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 11-May 12
MagicAndre -- I've been trying to follow your guides, but am lost. Something is causing pops, clicks, and dropouts in my audio, esp. at lower latency settings. Have periodic (15 second) CPU spikes, and somewhat high DPC/ISR involving WDF01000.sys (Kernel mode driver framework runtime), usbport.sys, hal.dll, and ataport.sys (in that order). Being system files, I assume there's no updates for any of these.

This is a new, dedicated i7 machine for audio work, with all unnecessary services disabled (I usually shut off networking), and all drivers updated. I'm stumped.

A zip of the trace file is at http://dougstunes.co...C-Interrupt.zip

TIA!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

You Have high DPC usage caused by USBport data transfer (rdwm1117.sys driver).

You've also have Driver Verifier enabled. Disable Driver verifier and test again. It should fix the issues because the deep validations no longer occur.
Posted Image

tuner

tuner
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 11-May 12

You Have high DPC usage caused by USBport data transfer (rdwm1117.sys driver).

You've also have Driver Verifier enabled. Disable Driver verifier and test again. It should fix the issues because the deep validations no longer occur.

A thousand thanks, Andre! Disabling Driver Verifier did seem to help. In all the forums I've visited, I'd never heard about doing this (I need to spread the word). Is this Verifier enabled by default in Windows 7?

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing these large spikes every 15 seconds, and am still not getting the latency that others seem to be reporting using the same Roland hardware. The spikes do seem to be connected to this hardware (They go away if I unplug it, and rdwm1117.sys is the Roland driver), but I'm wondering if something in my system is interacting with the driver to cause these spikes, which consume 100% of one core, and 15-20% of total CPU .

I've uploaded another trace -- http://dougstunes.co...C-Interrupt.zip -- this time with network disabled, no driver verifier, and no antivirus, if you'd be willing to take another look. (I can't even see the spikes in the trace). Is there simply something wrong with the Roland driver?

Thanks again...

Edited by tuner, 15 May 2012 - 12:45 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

A thousand thanks, Andre! Disabling Driver Verifier did seem to help. In all the forums I've visited, I'd never heard about doing this (I need to spread the word). Is this Verifier enabled by default in Windows 7?

No, by default it is not activated. Did you have a BSOD and activated it to get better dumps?

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing these large spikes every 15 seconds, and am still not getting the latency that others seem to be reporting using the same Roland hardware. The spikes do seem to be connected to this hardware (They go away if I unplug it, and rdwm1117.sys is the Roland driver), but I'm wondering if something in my system is interacting with the driver to cause these spikes, which consume 100% of one core, and 15-20% of total CPU .

still the same issue with the roland driver. The SAM.exe ("C:\Program Files (x86)\MAGIX\Samplitude_Pro_X_Download_Version\Sam.exe" ) sends some data to the USb device.

Attached File  DPC_tuner_rdwm1117.png   132.55KB   5 downloads

Try the 1.5 drivers

http://www.rolandcor...spx?p=1166&c=72

You use the 1.0.0 drivers. Maybe this helps. Also try to connect the device to a different USB port which doesn't share IRQs with other devices.

Edited by MagicAndre1981, 15 May 2012 - 06:42 AM.

Posted Image

tuner

tuner
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 11-May 12

No, by default it is not activated. Did you have a BSOD and activated it to get better dumps?

I ran some root kit scanners, because someone had said that root kits sometimes hook into ataport.sys, which seemed to be misbehaving. One of them must have switched it on.

Try the 1.5 drivers

http://www.rolandcor...spx?p=1166&c=72

You use the 1.0.0 drivers. Maybe this helps. Also try to connect the device to a different USB port which doesn't share IRQs with other devices.

Apparently 1.0.0 is the newest version of rdwm1117.sys – 1.5 refers to an updated control panel only. And the Quadcapture USB port doesn't appear to be sharing an IRQ with anything. Durn.

Having run out of solutions, I'm going to try replacing the Quadcapture with a new unit. It will be very funny (after eight months of troubleshooting) if that turns out to be the problem... :whistle:

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

ask the support, maybe they have an idea.
Posted Image

tuner

tuner
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 11-May 12

ask the support, maybe they have an idea.

Hi Andre,

I'd boxed up the Roland interface, ready to send back for a replacement, and was using my Mackie FireWire in its place, when suddenly the sound got all glitchy again. Rebooted the machine, and audio still breaks up, even though it had worked fine all day. Looking at CPU usage in task manager, it appears that the Mackie Onyx is consuming the most (about 50% of one core), which disappears when I disconnect it.

Neither Latency Checker nor Latencymon are showing any problem at all as these errors are occurring. I've uploaded yet another etl file, if you're willing to take a look:
http://dougstunes.co...C-Interrupt.zip

A probably unrelated curiosity shown in Latencymon are what seem to be extremely high hard page fault resolution times – 23383 us up to 76868 (that's 76 ms, right?). But these aren't occurring during the glitches; in fact they're pretty infrequent, since most of my RAM is free.

So maybe I have two crummy audio interfaces? :blink:

Thanks again...

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

and was using my Mackie FireWire in its place, when suddenly the sound got all glitchy again. Rebooted the machine, and audio still breaks up, even though it had worked fine all day. Looking at CPU usage in task manager, it appears that the Mackie Onyx is consuming the most (about 50% of one core), which disappears when I disconnect it.

this Mackie device is the cause:

Attached File  xperfview_DPC_ISR.png   21.76KB   6 downloads

Attached File  xperfview_DPC_ISR_2.png   96.98KB   7 downloads

It sens again data to the device and ths causes the high DPC/ISR CPU usage. Do you use the latest drivers? Also update the Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller drivers.
Posted Image

tarmo242

tarmo242
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 19-March 12
Hello, i installed wdm kit but the xperf command isnt working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users